Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Project Going Nowhere, Losing Interest...

rickoty

I know it's a terrible thought but I think my Gti's gonna have to go.

I've had it for about a year now and it was meant to be a little project for me to do. I got it from my uncle and thought I'd have it on the road within a month or two... :rolleyes:

They're pretty hard to get bits for aren't they?! I replaced all the brakes with second hand calipers and new discs and pads, since the rears were siezed and I snapped a bolt in one of the fronts.

I sorted the rust on the front wings and tailgate, (badly, it was meant to be temporary!). And patched up a couple of holes in the exhaust. This was alll just supposed to get it in decent nick for an MOT to see what else it needed.

When I got it to the garage I was told it needed a couple of brake pipes (expected) a rear shock absorber and welding to the sill, under the plastic cover, that I had managed to miss :angry:

I had meant to get it patched up, or do it myself. I have a welder but my skills aren't quite up to scratch...

It's sat in my mums garden for the last few months and I haven't touched it, I'm just too busy. Can't seem to find the time or the inclination at the moment :(

I'm also pretty skint just now so I think it's going to have to go. So here's where I need the advise. Either persuade me to keep it with your stories of corolla aceness or give me your opinions on whether it's worth breaking, as they don't seem to go for much on eBay even when they have an MOT.

Keep it man, get it sorted as and when you can, then once its done, get it on the open road and (once shes warmed up of course :P ) have some fun, that 4AGE will soon make you realise why you wanted to repair it in the first place :yahoo:

As with any old car there is always the point of "is it worth it..." ...and that is up to you ;)

Here are my views (for what it's worth) :rolleyes:

1/ If you do decide to sell as spares or repair/break you will get more money out of it if you break it, e.g. you will get more for a 4AGE engine on it's own than an actual complete M.O.T failed GTi! Also front seats (again on there own) seem to always sell.

Reason engine seems to be in demand is that a lot of Kit car builder are now using these engines.

2/At present a Corolla GTi is not really worth rebuilding if the body is rusty as there are still plenty of decent Corolla GTi's out there/available and the cost of rebuilding a 'project' would easily exceed what it would cost to buy a nice example with full M.O.T so I can fully understand you not wanting to bother with this one.

3/

They're pretty hard to get bits for aren't they?! I replaced all the brakes with second hand calipers and new discs and pads, since the rears were siezed and I snapped a bolt in one of the fronts.

Yes the rear brakes are a :censor: disgrace! BUT ...every part for these cars is STILL available.

4/ Buy another and use this one for spares?

Good luck with whatever choice you take

you might as well finish it mate if thats all that needs doing. I had a mk2 golf that i broke and it took ages to get my money back and even then you end up with a heep of $hit on your drive wasteing space for months.

Hmmm, they're all good points. Now I'm no further on than when I started! :lol:

I do remember loving the car when my uncle had it, high revving weapon that it was.

I just worry that if I decide to fix it, it'll stay on my drive as long as it has again. And if I break it, as gtpoor says, it'll stay on my drive as long again but in bits....

Flip a coin time I think. Or maybe just accept defeat and eBay it as is :(

From someone has take a M.O.T'ed and perfect '93 GXI and made that a project. Mine is still not on the road but I wouldn't trade or break it. Once you have her on the open road you know what it was all for.

Oh and since my GXI is taking long and more ££ than I thought I got a track prep'ed '89 GTI to get me from A-B ;)

I'll be keeping that even when I know the rust and other things will make it fail an M.O.T ....

Because 8000rpm ..... :rolleyes: .... :yahoo: oh yeh .... and just let me get a turbo on that thing :drool: or a 3stge ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links