Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Orange Oil?

Tara

Hiya,

Was changing my oil the other day and the old stuff came out a really horrible orange colour not the usual black colour. Any idea why this could be?

Tara :)

Hiya,

Was changing my oil the other day and the old stuff came out a really horrible orange colour not the usual black colour. Any idea why this could be?

Rust??

Hiya,

Rust??

Pardon :huh:

Possible coolant contaminaition? Without seeing it first hand i cant overlly comment?

When was the last change? IF you do it often it may not have had the chance to get dirty (as oil has they yellowish colour to it) or is it like orange juice (sort of colour)

It wasnt like clean oil. Last change was by the garage I bought it from... around 10k ago. It was a bit like oil mixed with Irn Bru (sorry best thing i could come up with :S)

hmmm

id suggest you check it after a few hundred miles and see ifs still happening (just take a sample from the sump)

check the oil cap see if scum has formed around it.....

coolant contamination is a BIG problem.... think headgaskets and cracked blocks

Right checked the oil cap its clean except a little black dirt inside and around the outside edge. Seems normal though. I'll see how the oil is after running it a bit more. cheers for the help

Hi Tara

I think you have nothing to worry about. Coolant contamination makes the oil go yellow- like custard. Some oils depending on brand can look reddish/brown when draining, especially if you stand and watch as it runs into the bucket. Some of us are old enough to remember green oil- Duckhams. It still came out black though. I have drained several sumps where there is little mileage between services and the old oil comes out golden- the colour of syrup (but not the viscosity). Modern engine oils are designed to pick up and hold in suspension any debris so any unusual colour needs investigating. Can't think what would have caused this though. Can you give us an idea in a similar fashion to that which I have used?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links