Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oops!

Red Yaris 54

Oh dear :(

Indeed ;) There seem to be a scary number of incidents where people (mainly pensioners) hit the accelerator instead of the brake. You'd have thought they might realise when they start going faster...

Not to mention that if she can't manage to manoeuvre a Starlet to within range of a petrol pump then its well past time she hung up her keys anyway.

Oh dear :(

Indeed ;) There seem to be a scary number of incidents where people (mainly pensioners) hit the accelerator instead of the brake. You'd have thought they might realise when they start going faster...

Not to mention that if she can't manage to manoeuvre a Starlet to within range of a petrol pump then its well past time she hung up her keys anyway.

What worries me is how hard did she hit the throttle? Was she trying to murder it? And if she was used to using that amount of presure on the brake pedal, What then? Worrying. :yes:

I seriously think people should have to retake their test at 70 to make sure they are still fit to drive :yes:

I seriously think people should have to retake their test at 70 to make sure they are still fit to drive :yes:

They do anyways don't they?

I thought the only loophole as such, was when it was introduced, if you were already over the age limit, you didn't need to take the test... :o

I see, didnt know that. Well thats the first time ever the government have done something which is a good idea :)

My understanding is that you DO NOT have to take a test at 70, but that your doctor has to sign to say that you are fit to drive. This to to be repeated every 5 years after !!!

There are many drivers well over 70 who are very good drivers as well as some bad drivers, just as there good and bad drivers of ALL ages !!!!!!!

"Accidentally" hitting (flooring) the accelerator instead of the brake should be key to having to resit your test no matter what age you are.

Dabbing and thinking "Oh s***!" then dabbing the brake like you meant to in the first place to stop yourself - fair enough. Flooring it and not realising that you are moving, not braking - get off the road!

Poor, poor Starlet. :(

"Accidentally" hitting (flooring) the accelerator instead of the brake should be key to having to resit your test no matter what age you are.

Dabbing and thinking "Oh s***!" then dabbing the brake like you meant to in the first place to stop yourself - fair enough. Flooring it and not realising that you are moving, not braking - get off the road!

Poor, poor Starlet. :(

Well said, i have never heard a truer statement than that.

They do anyways don't they?

I thought the only loophole as such, was when it was introduced, if you were already over the age limit, you didn't need to take the test... :o

No. You don`t have to retake a test or anything. All you have to do is re-apply for your driving licence.

If you are a paper driving licence holder you will be automatically sent a D46P application form 90 days before your 70th birthday from the DVLA. Complete the application form ensuring that all the relevant questions are answered and enclose original documentation confirming your identity and a passport style colour photograph.

If you are a photocard driving licence holder you will be sent a D46 reminder application form 90 days before your 70th birthday. You will need to complete the application form ensuring that all the relevant questions are answered but there will be no need to enclose any identification or photograph.

If your name has changed since your last licence was issued complete the application form and enclose original documentation confirming your change of name. There is no need to supply a new photograph. There is also no fee required for these applications.

To renew previously held C1 or D1 entitlement, whether full or restricted, or you intend to drive minibuses on a voluntary basis, you must enclose a D4 medical form completed by a doctor in support of your application.

Taken from HERE. :thumbsup:

12 firefighters to rescue her.............................. Attention !Removed!. :lol:

Yes, there are poor drivers of all ages. There are also many good old drivers and probably, just as many bad young drivers.

I'd worry about a country that insisted on retesting people at a particular age but was obviously quite happy to allow people of all ages to drive whilst taking prescribed medication. Coming home tonight, it seemed to me that some road users must have been on fairly large doses of valium. :yes:

"Luckily it was a diesel pump and not petrol or it could have been quite deadly.

Quite deadly? What? As opposed to very deadly? :rolleyes:

I agree that elderly people are no more dangerous than young drivers.

But young drivers are restricted in their first years of driving, they are allowed less points before loosing their licence.

Elderly drivers on average have poorer vision, slower reactions and in general their senses are not what they used to be.

I strongly believe in retesting at 70 ;)

So, what about people with poor eyesight in general who don't get regular eyetests? What about people with impaired hearing? What about those with a whole variety of nervous complaints?

I'll give you the slower reactions, to a degree but there are far too many parameters to just pick on the 70 year-old.

Anyway, why 70? Why not 65 or even 60?

As for young people. There are plenty on the roads and I'm sure the governent would have told us if they were keeping "the chav" off the road. They're not because it isn't true, as we know only too well. :yes:

They get a free bus pass - SO USE IT :rolleyes: !

Like the way which she got the attendant to fill it up for her :eek: !

I also can't make out why she didn't steer straight either :huh: !

it's easy..

ban anyone from driving who wears a hat, kill 2 birds with 1 stone,

chavs who wear the baseball caps and old people who wear flat caps. job done :thumbsup:

next problem!!?

it's easy..

ban anyone from driving who wears a hat, kill 2 birds with 1 stone,

chavs who wear the baseball caps and old people who wear flat caps. job done :thumbsup:

next problem!!?

Someone after my own heart. I like your way of thinking! :thumbsup:

Never understood people wearing hats in cars as I've said on here before. :yes:

True, but I dunno about the buses round her way but they're awful round here!

I had an incident the other day where I hit the accelerator and not the brake, I was coming out of our drive and edging out slowly (as we're on a hill with a junction close by) and some woman came blasting round the corner and up the hill, luckily the clutch was pressed so nothing happened apart from a few loud revs and hit the brake quick sharpish.

And hey, I've flipped my car as well, maybe she's my doppleganger! :lol::lol:

True, but I dunno about the buses round her way but they're awful round here!

But all they do is go to the post office to get their money/pay bills, and then off to do some shopping at tesco etc?

Have they not heard of Online shopping/Online bill payments??????

It would also help out the NHS by not having them falling over all the time and spending time in hospital :rolleyes: !

I say don't let them out at all - or atleast have a curfew in place :toast: ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links