Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T-sport And K&n Problems

Armz

Hi Guys, :yahoo:

I'm new on this forum as I just bought a 51 plate T-sport a month ago. It's been a valuable source of info! :thumbsup:

I have a strange problem which I searched these forums for a solution aswel as contacted K&N but still no sign of a fix.

I had my local garage fit a K&N 57i into my T-sport last thursday, they used the existing air feed on the car aswell as put in place the air feed that came with the K&N which sucks air from just below the undercar skid pan (they made a nice little hole for the feed pipe).

Now the thing is the moment I started driving the car I noticed a nice performance increase, but the worst part it seems to be burning a LOT of fuel. I filled up a full tank before having the kit fitted, after a short 3 mile drive the petrol needle was way below the top line, it usually takes 20-30 miles to get to that stage before the filter was fitted.

My car's trip computer confirms that while pulling away at slow speeds the fuel consumption falls way below 4mpg! I'm sure it was around 15-20mpg before.

The car was serviced the day i bought it so was in tip top condition. Has the K&N been fitted wrongly or is it faulty?

I've also noticed a very starnge whooshing/rumbling noise from the intake about 1-2seconds after I turn off the engine. Should it do this?

Not impressed by the filter so far, I paid 94 + 8 pounds delivery off eBay, then another 40 to my garage for them to fit it. :crybaby:

The K&N folks suggested I reset the ECU as my garage never unplugged the Battery when they fitted the air-filter, I watched them work round it. I reset the ECU today by disconnecting the negative terminal on the batetry for 35mins then reconnecting it up and going for a short drive. Fuel consumption is still the same, way to high for normal and i still get the whooshing/rumbling noise of the intake when I turn the car off.

Anyone have any ideas before I take it off?

Cheers

Armz

i have the same kit as yours, however on a 1.4vvti engine.

so from my experience, i will try to answer your questions.

first of all, yes, fuel consumption for the first day or two will be horrible, which may be due to the fact that the ecu is still trying to adjust to the new airfow + the fact that most probably you will drive harder so as to enjoy the sound of the filter :)

regards the whooshing noise from the intake after you turn off the engine, it is normal, i think it's due to the pressure build up which may build up in the intake pipe. infact if you press the throttle as soon as you turn off the engine, you will hear a louder/faster sound similar to the one you're complaining about.

the thing about resetting the ecu should help the ecu adjust itself faster.

hope that helps.

Thanks GRD008 the reply helped set my mind to ease somewhat.

I was getting worried that I had made a big mistake having the K&N fitted.

Should resetting the ECU have a instant change or will it take a few days, and if so should I be driving it more just to get the ECU to 'settle' at a sweet spot quicker?

Thanks

Armz.

How you doing mate?

Very frustrating i know............. only problem with these cars they don't like being messed about with.

I had this problem too. I got the 57i kit and mine was exactly the same. mines an 02 plate so could be a problem with the early models eh? Well the only way i found to sort it was put the original box back on (GOD NO!!!!) or do what i did and purchase a typhoon kit.

Think it has something to do with the air metering valve.......... all i know is when u install the K&N typhoon kit it explains what to do with the other vacumme hoses. If you wanted to try something...... where the big black rubber pipe goes into the engine (where air gets sucked in) above that there are 2 small black pipes. The typhoon instructions said to remover the lowerest one and blank it off.

So there is obviously a good reason behind this i'm sure someone in here can explain the technical details. But unfortunately i don't think it is as simple as just taking off the airbox off and putting a cone filter on.

So there you go thats my thoughts!

Oh oh, I'm getting worried again.

I think the lowerest hose would be the vaccum hose?, I saw a post on these forums somewhere that as the K&N insructions had some parts missing regarding these hoses, various people were having problems with their TSC and VC lights. The hose as I have understood doesn't get capped off but gets routed into the manifold.

Is that correct?, because thats how my garage fitted mine.

I just wish I knew more about mechanics and the engine in general so I could figure out how to get this perfect.

Thanks

Armz.

Not sure it will help but here's what mine looks like installed.....

Tis a 52 Tsport - works well.

1yz5.jpg

2lm1.jpg

great filter that john.... :toast: i wonder where iv seen that before :lol:

k&n filters are supposed to make roaring and wooshing noises.... its one of the reasons for fitting them... the noises being explained by ARMZ are totally normal , so dont worry. :thumbsup:

bert

great filter that john.... :toast: i wonder where iv seen that before :lol:

k&n filters are supposed to make roaring and wooshing noises.... its one of the reasons for fitting them... the noises being explained by ARMZ are totally normal , so dont worry. :thumbsup:

bert

Thought you might recognise it!

Thanks guys!

I have decided to keep the K&N on.

I took a look at my air-filter today, probably the very first time I've actually looked properly at an engine, (sounds bad I know, but being an I.T consultant I don't have to mess with cars much). I compared it to the pictures posted by Johndcfc and mine looks identical, with exception of the second K&N supplied air-intake tube which is slightly closer to the K&N , almost underneath it. The one in the picture is slightly lower and further away.

I got my heatshield for the filter today and installed it myself :thumbsup: Simple fitting but I'm well chuffed I actually did it myself. LOL. :toast:

On a side note I'm planning to install a nice double din 6.5inch dvd/tv/mp3 player touchscreen unit soon, i'm waiting for all my parts to arrive.

So far I have the main unit, the iso leads, the aerials for tv. Still waiting on my double din fascia surround from USA. Does anyone know if I need a radio aerial convertor for my car? Its a 51 plate registered 12 Dec 2001. I don't want to be missing any parts once I summon up the guts to start ripping my dash apart. I am planning to do this myself (very first stereo install by myself).

Or should I take it down to a audio fitting place and have them install it all? The cables on the back of the new double din unit are all loose and not crimped into a block connector. Is it dangerous to try to do this myself? :wacko:

Thanks

Armz.

can u tell me, if K&N do the 57i for the 1.6vvti? been looking on eBay, and cant find it for it, only do it for the 1.8 and 1.4, so surely they hav it for the 1.6?

Hope some1 can help :help:

where did you get the heat shield from?

some pics would be great too.....

I got the heat sheild from eBay for just under 18pounds including delivery.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180044592545

It looks pretty smart installed, I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow. I took the car for a long test drive and noticed with the heat sheild the filter noise is much more subdued. Maybe the heat shelid acts as a sort of baffle/muffler aswell.

Ckman85: The only one I could find on eBay was this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-N-57i-Gen-2-induct...VQQcmdZViewItem

Have a look on the K&N website that should help you with a specific part number and can search eBay for it, or buy from another source.

Thanks

Armz.

just checked K&N website, they dnt seem to do it for the 1.6vvti :censor:

im not impressed, i dnt understand why they made 1 for the 1.4 and not the 1.6?? :blink:

hmmm, wud n e body recommend n e induction kit companies? :unsure:

im not impressed, i dnt understand why they made 1 for the 1.4 and not the 1.6?? :blink:

Well in my opinion buy a T-Sport and the you can fit a typhoon kit hahahahahaha sorry mate couldn't resist!

Seriously tho!.........there must be somewhere. If you ring a place like demon tweaks and motor world and they'll check all their databases and find something. Like you said surely they should if they do one for the 1.4????????????

But i still think invest in the best! T-Sport all the way hahahaha

This is all i could find for the 1.6 corolla.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-Air-Fil...9QQcmdZViewItem

Powertec do pro filters too, worth checking out?

Cheers

Armz

Well in my opinion buy a T-Sport and the you can fit a typhoon kit hahahahahaha sorry mate couldn't resist!

Seriously tho!.........there must be somewhere. If you ring a place like demon tweaks and motor world and they'll check all their databases and find something. Like you said surely they should if they do one for the 1.4????????????

lol, i wish i cud invest on a tsport, but insurance wud kill me, i actually drove 1 for the 1st time bout 2 weeks ago, the lift is FUN :D

but im happy with my 1.6 :thumbsup:

lol, i wish i cud invest on a tsport, but insurance wud kill me, i actually drove 1 for the 1st time bout 2 weeks ago, the lift is FUN :D

but im happy with my 1.6 :thumbsup:

LOL! insurance isn't that expensive. It's the upkeep of the vehicle mainly petrol which is the expensive part.

I've heard people get the car insured for less than 400 fully comp. Me on the other hand pay 645 with Admiral and have 6 points (in one go :censor: ), I'm 28, Male and with extra hire car cover, RAC membership, 100,000 pounds insurance towards medical care and includes 750 for incar entertainment. I park the car in a garage overnight. (well my driveway :D Oh and I have 2 other named drivers on my policy, my sister and brother, just in case i'm ever in a good mood to hand them my keys. LOL!

I did get a quote with Toyota among other companies but they were extortionate. Toyota quoted me 1730!!!

I called Admiral up to check how much my K&N filter would take my insurance up by and they quoted me another 45. Not bad. My 6 points get erased by Dec and I never told them about any of my no claims bonus's, as I lost them becuase I didn't have my own policy the past three years. You lose any NCB's after 2 years if you do not transfer or have your own policy on a vehicle.

So as long as you shop around you can get a great deal!!

Cheers

Armz/

my insurance for a year is £529 fully comp with directline for my t-sport. 22 male 5 years NCB and car on drive over night. and my other half who is 21 is on it. insurance is not to bad as Armz said. petrol though im looking at at least £40-£45 a week, thats what makes the t-sport ownership a little less sweet.

but then i have lift to play with :thumbsup:

my insurance for a year is £529 fully comp with directline for my t-sport. 22 male 5 years NCB and car on drive over night. and my other half who is 21 is on it. insurance is not to bad as Armz said. petrol though im looking at at least £40-£45 a week, thats what makes the t-sport ownership a little less sweet.

but then i have lift to play with :thumbsup:

Thats a great deal especially because of your age. Usually some companies will not insure under 25's on performance cars as they are seen as a risk. If they do insure you then they are usually charging an arm and a leg.

T-sports are in a low insurance group 14 anyway. :scooter: Sure gives the Type-R's a run for their money. :boxing:

I think living in London insurance is slightly more, although i'm not sure about that.

Once you hit 30 years old insurance costs decrease dramatically. :wheelchair: So getting insured on a porsche/ferrari/saburu/evo is pretty cheap. As long as you have no previous/current driving convictions, mainly points as the insurance companies ask for any convictions in the past 5 years.

Cheers

Armz

where did you get the heat shield from?

some pics would be great too.....

Here you go mate. Didn't have a chance till today. also fitted my strut brace. :thumbsup:

Aplogies for the bad quality pics but i only had my mobile to hand.

heatshield.jpg

brace.jpg

Armz.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links