Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2002 Toyota Rav 4 Gx Water In Cabin

eddiey1

first off, hello to everyone.

I woke up Sunday morning to find the passenger side cabin of my partners RAV 4 soaked and flooded with nearly an inch of water in the footwell. Took it to Toyota yesterday and they come back saying that some of the draining runners on the roof were blocked by leaves and it was causing water to run into the sun roof and drip into the cabin.

surely this cant be right, a RAV 4 must be able to be parked in a leafy place and not be susceptible to flooding? the RAV 4 has just had to have its wiring looms replaced under warranty a while back bvecause a replacement windscreen had not been properly installed. Talking to the dealer this time they said that it wasnt the windscreen but tthe leaves on the roof.....

i think that the Toyota dealer is telling porkies....... what does everyone else think

British Rail have similar problems....... wrong type of leaves on the line :D

first off, hello to everyone.

I woke up Sunday morning to find the passenger side cabin of my partners RAV 4 soaked and flooded with nearly an inch of water in the footwell. Took it to Toyota yesterday and they come back saying that some of the draining runners on the roof were blocked by leaves and it was causing water to run into the sun roof and drip into the cabin.

surely this cant be right, a RAV 4 must be able to be parked in a leafy place and not be susceptible to flooding? the RAV 4 has just had to have its wiring looms replaced under warranty a while back bvecause a replacement windscreen had not been properly installed. Talking to the dealer this time they said that it wasnt the windscreen but tthe leaves on the roof.....

i think that the Toyota dealer is telling porkies....... what does everyone else think

Hi,Eddiey1

If it makes you feel any better I paid over £27000 for a new RAV in Sept and it leaks like a sieve, on the front passenger side!!

The dealer is replacing it with another RAV as they have failed to fix the leak.

The water appeared to be coming in from the front scuttle in the fresh air vent but they also think it could come from the sunroof drain pipe, so has your partners RAV got a sunroof?? You will find loads of Toyota forums (American ones mostly) on about these kinds of RAV leaks, but they are manly about the new model, but from what you are saying it appears the older models do the same??

It amazes me this so called SUV/offroader can’t get a little wet without flooding!

Stu

I didnt realise that a RAV4 could be so leaky. I has a Y reg GX a few years back and it never gave me any problems.....

Well if its something that happens a lot then hopefully we can take some steps to prevent it, otherwise the car will have to be changed

I didnt realise that a RAV4 could be so leaky. I has a Y reg GX a few years back and it never gave me any problems.....

Well if its something that happens a lot then hopefully we can take some steps to prevent it, otherwise the car will have to be changed

I've got a new XT4 and, so far with a few downpours and a few dousings with a hose whilst washing it, no leaks. There are a number of reports but, if you look through other car forums, you'll find similar problems. Blocked sunroof drains appear to be an issue that can affect almost any model of car (with a sunroof, of course).

My Rav4 is a replacement for a Freelander that's served me well for over 4 years. Read the Freelander forums and you'll see just as many tales of woe (possibly more, as it's considered a good sport to complain about them) but mine was without a significant fault.

Put a search in for sunroof on this forum and will find many mails regarding leaks inside the cabin , with possible causes/cures.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links