Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rev Limiter & Idle Rpm

Taliko

Hi all !!

I'm new here :) got my brand new Yaris TS a few days ago (breaking-in...) .

i've done ~500 KMs allready :D .

Now, I have a couple of questions for you TS experts :thumbsup: :

1) Why the hell did Toyota put the rev limiter so low !? (I remeber something like 6200-6300 Rpms from the test drive in the dealer's car)

Other engines with Various Valve Timing (like in the CTS, Clio 172, CTR etc.) have their rev limiter much higher !!! (not to mention perfectly normal family cars... <_< ) I reckon it's due to air pollution regulations or something like that, I just can't think of any other obvious reasons... :unsure:

Have any of you guys remapped the ECU, and lift up the rev limiter ? do TRD sell remapped chips ?

2) I've noticed that on cold starts, the engine idling RPM is quite high at about 1500-1600 Rpms - until slowly stabilizing at ~900 Rpms after some 20 seconds or so. is that normal !?

Thanks mates, gr8 site you have here, very informative :thumbsup:

All engines got higher rpm´s at coldstart, that´s because of the automatic choke that provide the engine with more fuel till it´s warmed up. That´s normal to all engines.

the CTS and CTR is quite advanced engines, they rev. much more because of the short stroke of the pistions. All "common" engines have their rev. limiter at ~6200 because those engines would blow if they rev anymore.

All things in a highrev. engine is lighter and stronger to keep up with the high rev. and i don´t think the Yaris TS is any different from a "common" engine more than a another ECU-chip and mabye another exhaust-system.

limiter on mine hit's about 6700 i think..

Hi Taliko

Welcome to the club mate. Well i know what you mean. I have often wondered why the hell toyota made the yaris T Sport rev so low? I feel that the yaris T Sport can easily handel at least 7,000 rpm easily.

And like what martenj76 said the reason why the revs are high first thing on start up is all down to the automatic choke kicking in mate. After about 3/5 minutes the choke will come of returning the revs to normal tick over.

jerry!!

Same as mine???

jerry!!

Yes do please as i would like to know if you motor is different??

jerry!!

I'm sure it's redlines @ 6400 and the limiters are just b4 if not on 6700.

When i redlined 4th it when well pass the 6500 mark. Still a low redline though.

Thank you all for the quick replies !

marten, you wrote:

i don´t think the Yaris TS is any different from a "common" engine more than a another ECU-chip and mabye another exhaust-system.

Now as far as I know this engine is not common to any other Toyota hence it ain't so "common" after all...

It's an engine especially designed for the TS as far I know. do you know differently ? you reckon it's just a modified 1.3 litre from the normal version !?

it's just so damn frustrating that embarrassing low redline :ffs:

P.S:

Jerry, my TS is a 03 "Chilli Red" too - fell in love with the color :D

i've checked today. Redline is @ 6400 and the limiters kick about 6650 - 6700. about 57mph in 2nd.

the 1.5 engine in the YTS is the same engine thats fitted to the JDM runx (corolla overhere) it was fitted with an auto transmision and part time 4wd so it is just an engine from a family car

however because of the light weight of the yaris it does make for a quick car.

would like to drive the yaris rs turbo it has 150 bhp now thats a quick little car, hell it would even give a clio 172 a run for its money

the 1.5 engine in the YTS is the same engine thats fitted to the JDM runx (corolla overhere) it was fitted with an auto transmision and part time 4wd so it is just an engine from a family car

however because of the light weight of the yaris it does make for a quick car.

would like to drive the yaris rs turbo it has 150 bhp now thats a quick little car, hell it would even give a clio 172 a run for its money

I think it's a good engine.

Maybe a 7K redline would be nice but it still pull's hard upto 80Mph (Then comes 4th :angry: )

When i redlined 4th it when well pass the 6500 mark. Still a low redline though.

Oli, i agree with you, i redlined today, in 3rd, and i hit atleast 6700!! :thumbsup:

Tom!!

Oli, i agree with you, i redlined today, in 3rd, and i hit atleast 6700!! :thumbsup:

Tom!!

See..they must all be same???

That's nice to here that :P

jerry!!

Welcome

The CTS can rev harder than the yaris TS becuase of lighter wieght internals and a massive 11.5.1 compression ratio. The 2zzge can also make impressive power at higher RPM due to its hi-cam settings, which can only produce impressive power at 6000rpm and beyond (8350 RPM).

Redline and fuel cut are two different things.

------------------------------------------

Daniel

Some very useful information there mate :thumbsup:

jerry!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links