Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Failed Mot High Co Emissions Toyota Carina E 1.6

bmb4mks

Hi everyone, As the topic says my toyota carina e 1.6 failed it's mot on emissions. I think the CO is at about 2%. The garage put in a new toyota lambda sensor (it had a 2.0 litre lamba fitted so engine management light was on) This didn't solve the problem though. They have also changed the plugs, changed the oil and oil filter, cleaned the engine breathers and checked the valve timing. oh and used a cat cleaner. All to no avail, it's still high. The lambda plus connector isn't burnt, and i'm told they got the engine very hot prior to testing, though whether it was hot enough i don't know.

Now it's failed twice before (2 previous years) and just had its engine manualy tuned to get the emissions down. This was done at a different garage, hundreds of miles away from my current location.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what the problem might be. Or is it simply the case of getting a mechanic who is a good tuner. I'm thinking the one who did all the work is maybe not the best mechanic in the world!

It's a bit confusing as they're shouldn't be any reason for it failing if everything i've listed above has been done. The exception is it could be the cat? But as it's been done by tuning twice before i don't really want to have that done. Certainly not by this current mechanic either. I'm picking it up off him today by the way.

Thanks in advance Matthew Siggins

whats the milage? may well be the cats bust (possible if the car has had an overfueling issue in the past or only makes short journeys)

another possibility is dirty injectors or ignition componet failing ( plugs and leads if fitted)

also whats the general condition of the engine , ie smoke on startup rattley etc

Has your mechanic change the air filter element? I assume that he replaced the plugs with the recommended platinum plugs (pricey)?

Has your mechanic change the air filter element? I assume that he replaced the plugs with the recommended platinum plugs (pricey)?

Yeah it's got platinum plugs now. Every little thing like that has been done. The engine runs nicely, no rattles, no smoke. It's definately not burning oil or anything like that. I very much doubt it's been overfueled in the past

Everything like that is fine. As I said the mechanic who managed to pass it twice before just manually tuned it. I think it's with some connection and a computer, think he altered the idle mixture settings or something and that did the job. The mechanic who fixed it also got the engine and cat and all that really really hot before hand, apparently carinas can have an issue with emissions if they're not propely hot. ie proper razzing ie 3rd gear 50, 60 mph before hand.

The mechanic who didn't fix it definately didn't have a go a tuning he didn't have the equipment and didn't seem to know much about it, he said he got it really hot, but dunno if he would have done it enough....

Any more thoughts please?

once a cat is damaged, no amount of heat will fix it.

early carina's and corollas did have an idle mixture adjusting screw. on the rolla it was fitted to the passenger front shock tower, it had a sreww head type fitting and was marked R<----->lL for rich and lean, dont think the carina e had one though.

would be worth getting the O2 sensor checked as its the bits you cant see that break, you cant test them visualy.

once a cat is damaged, no amount of heat will fix it.

early carina's and corollas did have an idle mixture adjusting screw. on the rolla it was fitted to the passenger front shock tower, it had a sreww head type fitting and was marked R<----->lL for rich and lean, dont think the carina e had one though.

would be worth getting the O2 sensor checked as its the bits you cant see that break, you cant test them visualy.

It's from 94, 1.6 E XI. He did put a cat cleaner through. I just don't know if it is the cat though. Probbaly cos it's expensive. Are there any symptoms of a broken cat bar the emissions? The lambda is definately in order and working, it's a brand new toyota part. As a keep saying it's the fact the the previous mechanic who fixed it managed to just tune it back, apparently it didn't take any time at all. That's why i'm weary of going to the extreme of a new cat.

Probably take it down to formula one today or tommorow, have a word with them about it.

Took it to formula one before to have a look at. But if you've got any more suggestions please say. Cheers, Matt

Took it to formula one before to have a look at. But if you've got any more suggestions please say. Cheers, Matt

They didn't want anything to do with it. Said it's burning oil. I asked the first mechanic about this and he said it was, but only a little bit and that cars after 120 000 miles often would and it wudnt affect the CO really... Anyway regardless it's for the scrappers yard. I'm going to take the lambda off and hopefully toyota will take it back. If not there's a Official Toyota part Toyota Carina 1.6 E XI lambda sensor for sale!

Cheers anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

They didn't want anything to do with it. Said it's burning oil. I asked the first mechanic about this and he said it was, but only a little bit and that cars after 120 000 miles often would and it wudnt affect the CO really... Anyway regardless it's for the scrappers yard. I'm going to take the lambda off and hopefully toyota will take it back. If not there's a Official Toyota part Toyota Carina 1.6 E XI lambda sensor for sale!

Cheers anyway.

:D Hi, have you sold the lambda sensor or is it for sale. If so, how much??

Yeah I've still got it and it's for sale. Cost £330 new, not done any miles on it. What do you think is a fair price?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links