Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Upgraded Their Lights?

PrinceOfDarkness

:eek:

does anyone use Osram Silverstar H7's in their lights or beam?

cheers

i didint find the osrams much better than the standard so i changed to Philips X-Treme Power H7 very very bright

cheers

i didint find the osrams much better than the standard so i changed to Philips X-Treme Power H7 very very bright

i bought a 4000mha rated bulbs from eBay for about £8, and they are the brightest bulbs i have ever had. at least as good as the philips or osram ones which cost more than double !

the only issue you will have is getting the rubber gasket back on the passenger side light unit without having to remove the bumper. really clever design Toyota !

I have Osram Silverstars, and don't find them any better than standard bulbs. Very bright at close range, but don't seem to shine for any great distance.

One thing I have to say (and I don't think it has been mentioned before) is that the main beam is actually mighty impressive. It's just a shame you can't drive with main beam all the time!!!!! :(

cheers

Check this out

Halford's Super Brilliance is what you need :thumbsup:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/prod...0_per_cent.html

I've got them in and they are not bad.

I had Silverstar in my Polo (big difference) and have it in my Mercedes... not so much of a difference.

I think there is a bit of a design problem with the projection headlights. I have only really noticed it driving around country lanes at the weekend but I can't see very far into the distance without main beam.

It's difficult to put my finger on it, and it seemed a bit better with the front fogs on, but it might be that the edge of the lit area is very well defined and doesn't bleed any. Certainly made me slow down a bit, which isn't the point!

Would be very interested to see if changing the bulbs makes any difference or if it's to do with the lenses / reflectors.

Hell even my wife commented on it!

Let us know the outcome and if you gain any confidence when they are changed.

i think i'm going to go with the philips x-treme 80% brighter ones :)

Nice... I can't find anywhere online that sells them though

has anyone changed their bulbs? what's the deal with the passenger side light unit?!

thanks

you can get the philips x-treme 80% from powerbulbs.co.uk stock changes daily.

as for changing the bulbs on both sides i did not find it that bad.out of the last three cars ive had a fiat stilo and vw sharan the avensis took the least time to do.on the fiat i had to remove washer bottle batt and hoses

hi - thanks for all the replies.

in the end i have ordered the osram silverstar +50's because the philips +80's are out of stock everywhere!... plus my mate has them in his car and keeps getting the driver infront annoyed because they're too bright!

he's also had the osrams and said they make a massive difference, and after reading the great reviews on autoexpress i decided to get H1's and H7's for the main lights and the beam - should be bright!

P.S.

i know the latest autoexpress review wasn't as great! but for £32 for both the H1's and H7's i thought i'd give it a try

greg - great job with the xenons. i've had xenons in my last 2 cars - S2000 and laguna and i was a little disappointed when i noticed the t-spirit avensis doesn't have them! but to be honest, i think the +50's will be fine for my needs

P.S.

i know the latest autoexpress review wasn't as great! but for £32 for both the H1's and H7's i thought i'd give it a try

Hope you get better ones than my latest purchase for my Mercedes, not much difference, though Mercedes might already fit 50% as standard.

The Halfords are rated at +60% on the bulb itself (packet says 50%)

I'll wait for the Philips 80% ones and give them a try :)

i'm going on holiday travelling around scotland soon and figured for the money it would be worth the chance as i can't get hold of the +80's in time

i can only go on what i've been told, but my mate used to have the osram silverstar +50 h7's and upgraded to the x-treme +80's. he said the difference between the standard bulb and the +50's is huge - a vast improvement. he said there is a difference between the +50 and the +80's but it's not a major upgrade... so i figured the +50's in both the beam and the headlights will be fine. there's also the problem of the +80's being too bright! my mate says he's had cars infront put on their fog lights because they thought he was using his beam!... and i don't want that :)

the latest autoexpress which said the osrams weren't as good this time round was referring to the H4's, not the H7's... so hopefully they'll be good. my mate fitted them to his sisters audi a3 last weekend and she's really happy with them, so fingers crossed!...

just replaced the beam bulbs - i've not had chance to test them properly yet but i'll let you know what they're like

i couldn't fit the dipped light bulbs though! i couldn't figure out how to remove the cover to gain full access to the connector and bulbs. i pressed the button to release the cover but i couldn't move it out of the way enough to swap the bulbs - please help!!!

thanks

Push the release tab in pull away from the headlight then pull towards the engine to release the lugs on the oposite side. Manouvre the cover around the bulb on the drivers side due to the lack of space. If you have an early avensis <05 see if you have the plastic bulb holder if you do make sure its not melted. If you find it is take it Mr T for a replacement.

It is possible to change the bulbs yourself, people complain it isn't but after doing the HID thing where wires run through the cover i've got pretty good at it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links