Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Unit Install : Please Help!

taximanmeepmeep

I have a Phase 1 Yaris, and I'm in desperate need to CD'fy it!

The following is a mix'n'match' of the tutorials on this site, can you all tell me if it sounds right?

And also, what is the purpose of the Toyota Surround...I don't really see it mentioned in any of the tutorials.

Finally, if the procedure below is correct, is it a similar process to install subs/amps at a later date or would I need some more converters? (RCA rings a bell)

My self made guide :help:

What I Need;

-:Normal Screwdriver

-:Flat Head Screwdriver

-:Toyota Fascia Surround: T55406-52010-B0 (Phase1 : approx £38 directly from Toyota)

-:ISO lead: PC2-17-4 (Toyota Specific - £12 from Halfords) [ Connects Toyota standard wiring to head unit ]

-:Double Din Unit: FP-11-03 (Made by Autoleads - Says its for RAV4, but will fit Yaris) [ Replaces existing cassette player/ cd storage unit ]

...and a Head Unit of course :)

****Make Sure Key Is NOT In The Ignition At Any Time****

Instructions;

Removing top panel:

-:Pull out the heating controls

-:Unscrew the screw behind each knob

-:Grab the panel from the sides and pull with force, once panel is loose, place it to one side without damaging the wiring ( or you can use the flat head screwdriver to release the connectors and totally free the panel )

Removing the bottom panel:

-:Remove the ashtray and take the cigaretter lighter plug out

-:Unscrew the 2 screws behind the ashtray

-:There is still a white plastic frame on the top panel held on by 3 clips, unclip and move it up slightly. Unscrew the 2 screws that now appear underneath the plastic frame

-:Grab the panels from the side and pull

-:Once panel is free, disconnect ALL wiring going into standard unit and cigarette lighter

Connecting everything up:

-:Connect ISO lead into standard Toyota audio wiring

-:Remove standard double din unit and also remove cassette player, and replace with Autoleads Double Din unit

-:Place Toyota Fascia Surround around the Double Din Unit ??

-:Insert new Head Unit from the back into the Double Din Unit and connect to the ISO lead

(If the head unit requires a live feed and ground, use the large metal strut at the top of the top panel - this is a strong earth point)

****Test Head Unit Before Connecting Everything Back Up****

Ah phew! I probably wont be fitting it myself, but it's good to know what needs to be done.

Thanks!

Also....what is the purpose of the Toyota Surround? It may be obvious, but I'll never know unless I ask...and then buy it!

the new surround has a double din hole in the center of it.... ok in english it has a big enough gap to fit the 2 stereo's in it

at the moment if you have a cd player in your car already then you can fit the stereo in the try and the bottom but you still have to see the old cd player. likewise if you have a tape player.

so getting the new surround means you only have your nice new stereo in and a handy tray.

the new surround has a double din hole in the center of it.... ok in english it has a big enough gap to fit the 2 stereo's in it

at the moment if you have a cd player in your car already then you can fit the stereo in the try and the bottom but you still have to see the old cd player. likewise if you have a tape player.

so getting the new surround means you only have your nice new stereo in and a handy tray.

Also if you try to fit the new head unit in the gap where the tray is under the tapeplayer on the surround that is fitted as starndard you may find its a very tight fit and the surround is slightly curved, so sticks out a little bit unless you are willing to file it down a little.

Ah cool.

I really can't understand why anyone would want to install a cd player in the tray and leave a redundant cd/cassette player above it, I guess its a personal preference.

So the guide ^^^ is fine, and the surround goes around the Autoleads Double Din...Cool :).

Thanks for the info guys.

One last question, just for my peace of mind...

The Toyota Surround is totally different from this Autoleads Double Din thing right?

1124891040.jpg

Just asking, because this also has the big whole in the middle! :P

Yup that thing goes inside the toyota surround! The surround is like the existing dash coloured part which has the ciggy lighter and ashtray in just without a cd/tape player in! :thumbsup:

Just one thing - I know it sounds obvious, but you have to snap arms off the Autoleads adaptor so just double check your snapping the right bits off! I almost snapped the wrong ones until I checked....

If you use the toyota surround you'll end up with this.

DSCN3592.jpg

The guide you pasted in is slightly wrong, there is a third screw on the left hand side of the dash.

I'm in the process of writing a comprehensive guide for both phase 1 and 2

drop me an email johnrampton @ gmail.com and i'll email it to you, i have done both so if you need info let me know.

whats wrong with my guide? :P

LOL !! sorry mate nothing wrong with it :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links