Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ignition Problem ?

cog_32

Hi All,

This has happened a few times before and I'm absolutely baffled where the problem lies. I have a 2000W 1.8 Avensis. Some mornings when I turn the ignition key the engine tries to fire but on the odd occasion it skips - if you know what I mean. When this happens the lights on the dash momentarily goes off - then it continues to fire and the engine starts. Could it be the alternator, bad Battery or ignition switch...Any ideas anyone ??

Cheers...in advance

I would say ignition switch - i think common on mk1 avensis, there is a link on this site in the workshop part that shows how to replace this. May even be covered in the haynes manual.

Hi All,

This has happened a few times before and I'm absolutely baffled where the problem lies. I have a 2000W 1.8 Avensis. Some mornings when I turn the ignition key the engine tries to fire but on the odd occasion it skips - if you know what I mean. When this happens the lights on the dash momentarily goes off - then it continues to fire and the engine starts. Could it be the alternator, bad battery or ignition switch...Any ideas anyone ??

Cheers...in advance

it will be the ignition switch, iv had the same problem on my first avensis.

Hi All,

This has happened a few times before and I'm absolutely baffled where the problem lies. I have a 2000W 1.8 Avensis. Some mornings when I turn the ignition key the engine tries to fire but on the odd occasion it skips - if you know what I mean. When this happens the lights on the dash momentarily goes off - then it continues to fire and the engine starts. Could it be the alternator, bad battery or ignition switch...Any ideas anyone ??

Cheers...in advance

it will be the ignition switch, iv had the same problem on my first avensis.

Cheers guys.. I'll try it if it gets worse..Thnx

g'd day, I have exactly the same problem with my Avensis D-4D (2002). I am travelling in the Middle East right now and cannot get spare sparts here. Did you have to replace the ignition part of the lock or was it repared?

grateful for any info how to get this fixed!

thanks

Jan

Hi All,

Cheers...in advance

would be grateful for the link to this page! I tried to find. thnx, Jan

• 1 year later...

thought i would post here, instead of making a new thread

for the last 2 weeks, when i start my car, it sometimes mis fires before starting

its very odd and doesn't happen all the time.

id say it happens once in 2 days.

put key in, turn key, engine tuns, tries to start, then skips/mis fires once, i turn off engine, try again and starts first time.

could this is ignition problems as asked above? what about fuel filter?, could it be anything else?

if it is he ignition switch, where do i source one?

car is a avensis 1.8gs 1998

thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

you might have other problem too, but if you only here a clicking sound from the engine when turning the key the first times and then on your third attempt it starts as normal, I would say it's the ignition switch.

Read more here:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44971

You can not repair it, it's normally too worn down. You have to replace it with a new one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links