Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem With 4a-fe 1.6

Konstantinos Kokkinos

Hello to all! Not quite new to the forum but coming from Greece my english may be a sort of tragedy... :rolleyes:

The problem I am facing is that the engine on my Avensis 2000 model mostly when cold, has a bit unstable idle giving the impression of exessive fuel in the engine. I haven't noticed any unusual consumption though. The problem also occurs when pressing the gas steadily between 1000 and 2000 rpm, when the car act like if you press the gas and leave it simultaneously. My first thought is that probably there is a problem with the spark plug cables (I don't know if there is a special name for that) but haven't tried anything yet because I wanted to hear some opinions first, so anything you may know can help. :unsure:

Thank you all in advance

Assuming there are no warning lights, it sounds like what you are describing is not a pure cylinder misfire but more of a flat spot and uneven idling.

In these cases where the diagnostic equipment cannot pick up a fault code the dealers tend to rectify by substitution. In other words they will change the components until they fix it. Do you know somebody with a similar car. I would start by swapping the Mass Airflow Meter. If it works you can sometimes fix your own by washing them out with carburettor cleaner.

Good luck

Actually no warning lights are on. I gave the car today for a check to a Toyota dealer and I am waiting for the results.Thank you for the reply. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links