Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Ice Q's

vitz_1.0

Hi people,

Im a newbie at this forum. Im here on behalf of my Fiancee as she has a 2001 1.0 vvti Yaris, or Vitz as they call it in Cyprus.

I want some information about the Yaris' standard audio system. It is a single CD and Cassette player combo.

Firstly she only has 2 Speakers in her car as standard and they are the ones in the dash. They are pretty good but do not deliver much bass. I wanted to buy her a set of components. I dont recall seeing any grilles in her doors that would take extra Speakers, does this mean that Speakers can't be put in the door?

Can the factory fitted headunit be able to take extra speakers? Whats the output RMS of the headunit?

Secondly, her car was a Jap import and the radio only goes up to 99.0MHz, is there a way to change this?

How easy would it be to fit an aftermarket headunit? The current head unit looks integral to the centre part of the dash, can the headunit be removed easily?

I have quite a few questions as im not very familiar with her car, I will be very greatful for any info or tips given.

Many thanx

A quick search on a few of these topics should answer some of your questions :) The radio frequencies can be increased using a band expander (i think that's what they're called)

Welcome to the club and i will try answer more of your questions later but atm i'm doing some physics coursework :P

I'm yet to hear of doors without speaker grills on so i assume they do have and so you can do the same as normal. The doors will take 17cm Speakers with an autoleads spacer. You need this space as aftermarket Speakers are quite deep so it stops them hitting the window when it goes down. However you could quite easily make these spacers out of mdf as they are simply a ring which alloys you to mount the Speakers to and then rivet them to the 3 door mounting speaker holes whilst adding a couple of cm distance from the door. Be careful you don't space too much though or the speakers will hit the door cards and make a god awful rattle! If you look in the how-to's on here i'm pretty sure there is a guide for changing door speakers. I would say dynamat extreme the doors while your there (just get a speaker kit which is about £13) as this will hugely improve bass response.

These will sound nice now but i would say they would be hugely underpowered by the standard stereo! The standard stereo has a total of 4 speaker outputs btw. Would you consider changing this stereo? You can buy a new fascia surround from toyota with an insert by autoleads to allow you to fit a single DIN Headunit if you wanted? This will look very professional and lots of pics of peeps with stereos fitted using this if you search. This will get the most out of your speakers with the aftermarket HU! I would say change the dash speakers aswell as a set of coaxials would do for that (10cm) which can be picked up quite cheap! After that bass will be your main consideration! Depending on what kind of system you want adding 6*9s in the rear parcel shelf (make up an MDF stealth shelf so it has good sound quality and so people cant see the 6*9s) or add an underseat sub or add a proper boot sub should give that extra bass to make an allround decent sound system! I would say a sub will probably be needed if you like your music! It isn't just a boy racer mod! Not just bassy music it helps for every style of music honestly and whichever form you get your bass in it doesnt have to be a huge speaker sitting in the boot!

Hi people,

Im a newbie at this forum. Im here on behalf of my Fiancee as she has a 2001 1.0 vvti Yaris, or Vitz as they call it in Cyprus.

I want some information about the Yaris' standard audio system. It is a single CD and Cassette player combo.

Firstly she only has 2 speakers in her car as standard and they are the ones in the dash. They are pretty good but do not deliver much bass. I wanted to buy her a set of components. I dont recall seeing any grilles in her doors that would take extra speakers, does this mean that speakers can't be put in the door?

Can the factory fitted headunit be able to take extra speakers? Whats the output RMS of the headunit?

Secondly, her car was a Jap import and the radio only goes up to 99.0MHz, is there a way to change this?

How easy would it be to fit an aftermarket headunit? The current head unit looks integral to the centre part of the dash, can the headunit be removed easily?

I have quite a few questions as im not very familiar with her car, I will be very greatful for any info or tips given.

Many thanx

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8945

I'm yet to hear of doors without speaker grills on so i assume they do have and so you can do the same as normal. The doors will take 17cm speakers with an autoleads spacer. You need this space as aftermarket speakers are quite deep so it stops them hitting the window when it goes down. However you could quite easily make these spacers out of mdf as they are simply a ring which alloys you to mount the speakers to and then rivet them to the 3 door mounting speaker holes whilst adding a couple of cm distance from the door. Be careful you don't space too much though or the speakers will hit the door cards and make a god awful rattle! If you look in the how-to's on here i'm pretty sure there is a guide for changing door speakers. I would say dynamat extreme the doors while your there (just get a speaker kit which is about £13) as this will hugely improve bass response.

These will sound nice now but i would say they would be hugely underpowered by the standard stereo! The standard stereo has a total of 4 speaker outputs btw. Would you consider changing this stereo? You can buy a new fascia surround from toyota with an insert by autoleads to allow you to fit a single DIN Headunit if you wanted? This will look very professional and lots of pics of peeps with stereos fitted using this if you search. This will get the most out of your speakers with the aftermarket HU! I would say change the dash speakers aswell as a set of coaxials would do for that (10cm) which can be picked up quite cheap! After that bass will be your main consideration! Depending on what kind of system you want adding 6*9s in the rear parcel shelf (make up an MDF stealth shelf so it has good sound quality and so people cant see the 6*9s) or add an underseat sub or add a proper boot sub should give that extra bass to make an allround decent sound system! I would say a sub will probably be needed if you like your music! It isn't just a boy racer mod! Not just bassy music it helps for every style of music honestly and whichever form you get your bass in it doesnt have to be a huge speaker sitting in the boot!

Im not looking to go all out audio in the car. Its for my fiancee so she just wanted something a bit better as there is a huge difference between my sound system and the one in her Yaris. I was thinking about updating the front 10cm with coaxials as you mentioned and possible 17cm components in the rear shelf.

Like I mentioned I couldnt recall seeing a speaker grille in the door card and I dont want to start cutting into the door card either. So the easiest really would be good components for the rear.

Fair enough i guess this is a model with wind up front windows and therefore i haven't actually had a look at one to compare! 10 cm Coaxials and 17cm components in the rear shelf will definately improve things! Like i said before, i would also add an aftermarket stereo for the added power to run these Speakers effectively! You can get a good looking surround as described before making it completely reversible to standard but whilst still looking nice! Also it means you get an MP3 CD player or an Mp3 player input on some models :thumbsup:

With the components in the rear shelf, please build a custom one as the standard shelf is flimsy and will sound awful!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links