Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Notchy Gearbox Selection

pinkbits69

did this 2 years ago, forgot about it till driving another t sport

1. buy 2 gearbox drain bung washers from toyota (2 types available, 1 is thickish alloy, other is compessable steel), doesn't mater which you buy, wont cost more than a pound i'd think

2. remove airbox so you can see top of gearbox

3. locate large bung, 24mm socket fits

4. remove this, this has a spring tensioned ball

5. this is too much pressure, put an extra washer on, rebuild and try, you may need to add the other

this will result in silky smooth gear change with no adverse affect

also i would recomened replacing gear oil every 20,000 miles not 40,000 as toyota sugest, with desent fully synthetic.

i have been toyota tech for over 15 years

cheers for that, will be helpful to some

i actually quite like it, feels like i have succeeded in a battle or something. not that its that much of an issue. to me i know when its in gear cos its a bit notchy

If this works then you are officially a legend!

Clunky gear changes are good but when they cause you to miss gears when driving its ANOYING!!

Will try this ASAP...

Do you know what size whashers they are as i have a LOOOOOOOVERLY supply of washers of all shapes and sizes at work.

Cheers

Brad =)

just reuse the ones on it.

not the point, needs to be thicker, read procedure

sorry but the procedure looks like it was written by a 5 year old and doesn't say half of the things you need to do....... imo

its not the clearest procedure but doesn't sound like the most complicated thing to do.

thanks for the dimensions, will give it a try some time next week.

Brad =)

sorry but the procedure looks like it was written by a 5 year old and doesn't say half of the things you need to do....... imo

The procedure is quite clear .............albeit a little badly written. (I have taken the liberty of rewriting it to clarify the procedure):

1. Buy 2 gearbox drain bung washers from Toyota (2 types available, 1 is thickish alloy, other is compressable steel PART NUMBER: 12157-10010), doesn't matter which type you buy, they wont cost more than a pound.

2. Remove airbox so you can see top of gearbox.

3. Locate large bung, (24mm) on top of gearbox.

4. Remove 24 mm bung, this has a spring tensioned ball underneath it.

5. To remove spring tension pressure, put an extra washer on threaded bung , rebuild and try the gearchange, you may need to add another washer if the change is still notchy.

This procedure will result in a silky smooth gear change with no adverse affect

The end result is taking some of the pressure off the spring loaded ball which should allow a smoother less notchy gearchange.

Good post pinky :thumbsup:

16 years of toyota job card write up has made me lazy, if i read it back it makes perfect sense, must be used to toyota manuals and recall procedures :lol:

i do not have time to strip it down and take step by photos, but if somebody does everyone will benefit, the 5 year old quote was a bit caty though

pinkbits-

i understood it but i too have been working in main dealers for 21 years,

like you say you get used to job card write ups :wacko:

As for the 5 year old comment just take it with a pinch of salt ,

you'll get used to the strange comments sometimes made on here ;)

its good to have a toyota techy on here :thumbsup:

The gearchange on the 1.0 New Yaris is smooth anyway..................counterbalance weights fitted as standard certainly improvement over the Mk1 :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

tried this today so will drive about and see if it works ok :D

Could not get washer from Toyota they gave me the wrong ones

so used a small 18mm dia hole copper crush washer I had instead in my dad's workshop.

It was about 1.5mm-2mm thick would this still be the correct spacing? :huh:

Just one question, is there any danger of it jumping out of gear now? :unsure:

did you space it out with the original, i used them both.

if the spring tension is too weak it will feel sloppy and could jump out,

trial and error mate

worked a treat today, it takes just enough notchyness out of it. :D

shame my idle running rev problem is not so easy to solve (see my other post) :crybaby:

any ideas guys???

Awsome, glad to hear it works well.

will have a look at the other post doesn't sound good.

Brad =)

glad to hear your happy, it smooth's the change but remains possitive,

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag this one to the front page again but there's quite a few people with Corolla T-Sports who also suffer from notchy gear changes. I've put in a TRD short shifter which has made a difference and I'll be changing the gear box oil in the near future as well.

Could you tell me if this procedure is tranferrable to the Corolla because if it is, then it'll be a simple solution to a very annoying issue.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for your recommended cure, pinkbits69

I have a 2008 1.3 Yaris, This must have a different design Gearbox to the type you describe, as there is no "24mm Bung" on top of the gearbox casing,

There is a 18mm Nut on the top leading edge of the casing just below the Selector Arm, which is marked with (anti tamper) Green Paint,

Could this be the the Access Nut to the Indent Spring that you described so well in your original Post, and if I used the same Washers behind this Nut would it have the same affect?

I don't want to remove this nut without some form of confirmation as the car is still under warranty, (Although I could probably match the blob of Green Paint)

Looking forward your replies, Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links