Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excesive Oil Comsumption 2002 1.8 Vvti

breeze49

I have had the car for 4 years and have just recently discovered it is using excessive oil. Driving back from spain, 1400, miles it used 1.5 litres.

Obviously i am worried and have checked for leaks and discolouration in the oil filler hole and cant see any reason for this excess usage.

Is this a known problem with this model and is it something that could shorten the engine life. Are there any known cures?

Tony

I have had the car for 4 years and have just recently discovered it is using excessive oil. Driving back from spain, 1400, miles it used 1.5 litres.

Obviously i am worried and have checked for leaks and discolouration in the oil filler hole and cant see any reason for this excess usage.

Is this a known problem with this model and is it something that could shorten the engine life. Are there any known cures?

Tony

Your best bet would be to browse through the posts on this forum. It is a very well documented problem and you will find dozens of threads about it.

Tony

Your best bet would be to browse through the posts on this forum. It is a very well documented problem and you will find dozens of threads about it.

Parva, Thanks for that and I have since read all the posts , seems quite a problem. I will visit toyota and see what they say. I bought the car from them at 10 months old but dont think it will have an extended warrenty.

hi tony,It seems these engine do consume large quantities of oil.were just changing one of these short motors now.beware of substandard socalled reconditioned short motors sold by toyota at the moment.just had one delivered today to find it had only had new pistons and rings fitted and not even rebored,the engine was still dirty inside and out from the last car it was fitted too.were changing the engines every month now.

so beware when purchasing second hand.

regards jason.

Hi, My engine has started to knock, will toyota change my engine for me as it was burning oil before this. Regards

Hi, I have seen many oil consumption problems on this website. I spoke to toyota and they were less than helpful. Basically this looks like a fault with the engine and Toyota should replace them for you free of charge. Anyone who has this problem should report it to Watchdog as i am going to do. So people join me with your complaints to WATCHDOG.

Hi, My engine has started to knock, will toyota change my engine for me as it was burning oil before this. Regards

Hi, I have seen many oil consumption problems on this website. I spoke to toyota and they were less than helpful. Basically this looks like a fault with the engine and Toyota should replace them for you free of charge. Anyone who has this problem should report it to Watchdog as i am going to do. So people join me with your complaints to WATCHDOG.

Imran, I am contacting Toyota today. I do hope they sort it free of charge even though its a over a year out of warrenty. My last car was a primera and i got 200,000 miles out of that and I thought I would do the same with this. I wish i knew about this problem before buying.

• 3 weeks later...

please let me know the outcome.

thanks

Imram, I have been to the garage and they are going to do a 1000 mile compsumption test. After driving 100 miles after they had changed the oil on a service I decided to check the oil level and was shocked to see it a 1/3 of an inch over the high level on the dip stick. Surely a trained mechanic can fill an engine to the correct level!! maybe they overfilled so that when i go back in 1000miles time it will have gone down to the normal level and thus they prove its not excessive oil loss.

How have you got on with your problem?

Surely if Toyota have got a problem with a batch of engines then it should come clean and recall all the engines fitted. I will be contacting trading standards and watchdog if Toyota dont take some rsponsibility for this.

I have sold my avensis, I have contacted watchdog. I hope you get somewhere 'cos i didn't. I'll be buyong something else from another manufacturer. I've never heard anything like this happening to hondas. Touch wood i'll try their cars!

Me too, I've reported this and they have tagged the oil. During 1000 miles I've put in 4 litres, this can't be right although Mr T seems to think it's OK. I've booked in in again later this month and will report back. Basically they don't want to know. I have an extended warranty but have had nothing but fob offs from the dealer in Cardiff.

I have to say the service is awful and i am now regretting my choice.

Wont give up with out a fight though :angry:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links