Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Slow Engine Warm Up On Diesels?

chandler32

I have had my Diesel now for 4 days and notice that it takes an age for the temp gauge to come up to normal, and even then it never quite gets horizontal. The celica i had previously warmed up quite quickly.

Is this normal for diesels? (I know it may be slower due to increased efficiency) It takes 20 minutes of urban driving for it to get to the middle of the gauge. If this was a petrol engine, i'd assume the thermostat was stuck open, and change it asap before it damages the engine.

Any advice appreciated!

thanks.

I have had my Diesel now for 4 days and notice that it takes an age for the temp gauge to come up to normal, and even then it never quite gets horizontal. The celica i had previously warmed up quite quickly.

Is this normal for diesels? (I know it may be slower due to increased efficiency) It takes 20 minutes of urban driving for it to get to the middle of the gauge. If this was a petrol engine, i'd assume the thermostat was stuck open, and change it asap before it damages the engine.

Any advice appreciated!

thanks.

Had mine (2.0L) since 1st March and yes I've noticed exactly the same as you. I used to have a 1.8VVTi petrol before this Avensis and it warmed up quite quickly. Is yours a 2.2 or 2.0?

mine is the 2L, like yours. There seems little point in asking the dealer, as they'll just make something up to keep me happy....

Its still under warranty so would prefer to sort any problems asap. Also don't want to accelerate wear on the engine if the thermostat is duff.

Any advice appreciated!

thanks.

There is nothing wrong with your car. Diesels takes a lot longer to get warm than petrol engines, specially

in cold weather.

I'm usually on the motorway within 2 miles of leaving home so I haven't noticed any warm up issues.

My T180 Tourer has now covered almost 18,000 miles since October and all is well. Warms up the car interior nice and quickly. I don't think you have anything to worry about. :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with it bud and it aint just Toyota's.. its genreally any Diesel car.

My mum has a A4 TDi and it takes a !Removed! age to get any warm air out of the fans! :)

No need to worry mate.

Nothing to worry about. Mine takes a while to warm up too, 1 mile to the motorway and about 6/7 motorway miles before it reaches its 'full' temperature (just below horizontal).

good news then! thanks all.

i now understand why they install a 'Power Heater' :lol: gets heat through in a minute or 2!

Hi Steve

Yep, the long warm up is nothing to worry about.

Petrol engines are far less energy inneficent than diesel i.e. a lot of their energy goes into heat production (hence the quicker warm up), but this doesnt help your car go. The diesel also has 6 litres of oil to warm up as well.

Advantage is much longer engine life, lower fuel bills, well heated tyres for good grip, (ok I wont mention flywheels), and less chance of a speeding fine as you progress gently while warming the engine up.

And any car used for a journey of less than 2 miles wastes most of its fuel, as well as knackering the engine - try bicycling !

Cheers

Buzby

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new shape 2006 2.2 T3X D4D. The engine started to rattle when cold recently and the dealer put it down a faulty injector. Also mentioned that engine temp took a while to go up, but was told that it was temp gauge that was at fault. Needed a complete clock change putting the mileage back to 0.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links