Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lpg: To Convert Or Not To Convert?

Jonathanpaul

Hello all,

I'm a new member so thought I'd ask for some help as someone seems to know the answer to anything Avensis related!

I've just bought a top drawer 2003 2.0 Avensis with 13,500 miles and FSH so am considering it a good bet to convert to lpg and reduce my fuel bill.

After contacting a few reputable places I know it'll cost me around £1500 plus Vat but one place came back with the problem that in rare cases the valves may recess and it'll need £800-900 of work to re build the cylinder head. Has anyone heard of this problem? I wouldn't want to really take the chance if it has even a slight possibility of happening. Okay I'll leave it to you guys :thumbsup: for some help!

I`ve had & ran an LPG (conversion) for circa 3 years with little/no problem.

The LPG systems used now are much better than the crude system that was on my previous car, a Rover 2.3 with the Honda DOHC engine.

I dont think you will have any major problems as long as you get a really good system fitted at a reputable garage.

Whether to convert or not really depends on the price of petrol against LPG and almost more importantly whast sort of mileage you are doing & how long you propose to keep the car.

Hope this helps

Toyota do not recmomend lpg the cars I have seen fitted with it normaly having running problems ect of the last 5 I have taken the heads off 3 of them had burnt valves and seats the other 2 had just burnt valves . If you do go for lpg make sure it is a high qulity kit that has 4 injectors not one as these tend to run weak causing cat problems (they tend to fail on gas ! )

If it was me I would stick to normal fuel you have to do high millage to get your money back on lpg and that is if the engine lasts.

Have you take your avensis in to your local dealer and get the to check what ecu program you have as the later ones tend to run better we charge half an hours labor to check and up date it .

Thanks Tubaman (be interested to know where that handle came from!) it was good to hear the positive side of lpg and Toyotas. It looks as if I won't be converting in the near future however but thanks for taking the trouble to post me.

Thanks Big Bad Bob (like the handle) Your point does seem to reflect the general message I'm getting that converting could be trouble but at least for now I won't be converting as I probably won't do a great enough mileage. Thanks for taking the time to post me.

I assume your Avensis CDX is the older shape- I have a '98 1.8 GS (that's the girlfriend's to ferry our daughter round) and I can't fault it. The thing refuses to do under 40ish to the gallon and moves fridges, people, rubbish and anything else and pulls a caravan!

One thing- when do you change your timing belt? I've had it done at 36,000 and now it's on 80,000 so I assume it must be time to do it.

Cheers

Paul.

Thanks Tubaman (be interested to know where that handle came from!) it was good to hear the positive side of lpg and Toyotas. It looks as if I won't be converting in the near future however but thanks for taking the trouble to post me.

Thanks Big Bad Bob (like the handle) Your point does seem to reflect the general message I'm getting that converting could be trouble but at least for now I won't be converting as I probably won't do a great enough mileage. Thanks for taking the time to post me.

I assume your Avensis CDX is the older shape- I have a '98 1.8 GS (that's the girlfriend's to ferry our daughter round) and I can't fault it. The thing refuses to do under 40ish to the gallon and moves fridges, people, rubbish and anything else and pulls a caravan!

One thing- when do you change your timing belt? I've had it done at 36,000 and now it's on 80,000 so I assume it must be time to do it.

Cheers

Paul.

I do not like to put people off lpg but when ever I have dealing with it it has always ended in big bills ! My avensis is the older shape it has 165,000 on the clock and dose not miss a beat ! your cam belt is due every 60k or 5 years (7a-fe) the engine is a fail safe type ( if the belt brakes there is a good chance that it will not damage the engine) but I would get it changed if over 5 years ago

I do not like to put people off lpg but when ever I have dealing with it it has always ended in big bills ! My avensis is the older shape it has 165,000 on the clock and dose not miss a beat ! your cam belt is due every 60k or 5 years (7a-fe) the engine is a fail safe type ( if the belt brakes there is a good chance that it will not damage the engine) but I would get it changed if over 5 years ago

Bob,

I'll look to get the belt changed at next service. Thanks for the reply.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links