Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking To Buy An 03 Plate Avensis T3, Advice?

mark_r_333

hi

I'm looking to buy an 03 plate avensis 1.8 vvt-i with 57k miles on the clock.

what are these cars like in general, and is there anything i should look out for/listen for, any common faults etc?

thanks

mark

hi

what are these cars like in general, and is there anything i should look out for/listen for, any common faults etc?

thanks

mark

I believe the 1.8 vvt-i suffers from high oil usage once past 40k miles or so. Might be worth you doing a quick forum search to read up on this. As far as I recall, the 2.0 vvt-i is ok, so you could look for one of those instead.

hi

thanks

mark

I believe the 1.8 vvt-i suffers from high oil usage once past 40k miles or so. Might be worth you doing a quick forum search to read up on this. As far as I recall, the 2.0 vvt-i is ok, so you could look for one of those instead.

Indeed they do, I have an 03 Avensis that drinks oil like it's going out of style, have it booked in to find out what it's al about, will let you know.

so would you advise me to stay clear of this car then?

also is it a timing belt, or timing chain set up on the car??

so would you advise me to stay clear of this car then?

also is it a timing belt, or timing chain set up on the car??

Well overall I like the car so I'm waiting to see what Mr T says about the oil issue before I would say yay or nay, the performance doesn't appear to be affected, it just costs a fortune to keep pouring synthetic oil in the bugger.

I had the lights changed having bought an extended warranty (condenation issue), to my hooror when I went to change the bulb in the headlight recently I was told you have to remove the front mumper :help: Not what I call diy maintenance as the handbook says you don't.

The car can be noisy, possibly due to low profile tyres. Apart from that I'm happy with it :thumbsup:

btw, Chain on these apparently http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/cars/toyota-avensi...ack-gls/439070/

hi

thanks

mark

I'd go for it as long as you have the service history, the 1.8 is a lot more economical than the 2.0 petrol and the performance difference isn't enough to justify the bigger engine.

Seem to remember some issue with the electric power steering on the 1.8 - might be worth a search back in the forum posts.

Given an option though, I'd go for a 2.0 diesel, they seem to last forever.

Enjoy whatever you get anyway, good car.

:thumbsup: :D

My 1.8 VVTI T3X purchased last september has done 57k. No oil consumption problems yet but I do keep my fingers crossed (the potential oil problem does worry me). So far there have been no faults at all, however if I had read these forums first before buying I think I would have gone for the 2.0 petrol as I don't cover many miles and fuel costs wouldn't have been a huge issue. I used to own the 2.0 CDX and over the 5 year period it was pretty much faultless.

Having said that, all in all it is a lovely car, but I do find the plastic trim around the computer display is a bit creaky from time to time. Don't buy it if there are signs of condensation in the headlights - unless the seller agrees to fix (that means replace the whole unit) first. If the accuracy of the computer is a concern to you then check that the MPG consumption looks reasonable. Mine is absolutely useless and according to the display I'm getting better return than a 1.0 Yaris !!.

In my opinion they all have great road presence and are a quality motor but make sure it has full Toyota service history and get a warrenty as this will stand you in better stead if you do encounter problems.

My sons Avensis 1.8 engine has just started to consume oil at 35,000 approx miles.

I am informed by the local dealer my T4 2litre is not affected by high oil consumption problems.

I would suggest you get a 2litre Avensis. Buy from a reputable Toyota dealer though.

Changing headlight bulbs is expensive the front bumper has to be removed. It can be done I am told without removing the bumper but you risk breaking the bulb holder. I have never done it.

Avensis is a good car, the low profile tyres are a bit noisy on certain roads.

It is economical and compared to other cars reliable.

I am happy with my car and my son was happy with his till it started drinking oil.

I did have warning light problems on the T4 but that was solved under warranty.

we bought a avensis 1.8 t2 about 6 months ago, there the +/- :

Plus points :

Very Classy - feels like a executive motor

Very Comfortable

Running Costs - insurance, fuel, etc

Lots of Space in cabin and boot

Negative Points :

Toyota's are not as well built or reliable as old one. Seems to get worse with every generation

Air con failed

Leaking rear highlights cause water to get into the boot

on motorway, can be unsteady in crosswinds.

Overall, I like it a lot. I just wish it was trouble free like some of our other toyota. Corolla 96 and 98 were 100%, no probs what so ever. Yaris 03, 05, no probs, celica 02 some niggly faults, Avensis 03, has the most faults and are expensive to get fixed :( Would I buy another...i think so, cause I think it's still more reliable than any other manufactures. Not had any oil issues, it's done 55k

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links