Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Radio Problem

Richard Davies

Today I found that my radio kept scanning for a station even though I was tuned to a strong signal.

After I pressed one of the presets it would display the station name as normal, then the frequency would come up & it would tune through all the FM band into it got back to the station I was listening to.

I didn't try AM, it was difficult to do much while I was driving. I did tried a few of my FM presets, both national and local. The aerial was tightly screwed on so it can't be that.

As this problem has only occured today I was wondering if the change of temprature was a factor.

I have found a work-a-round of sorts.

If I tune in the station I want, & then press the AST button, the radio will tune through until if finds the station again, but will stay on it until I select another.

• 1 month later...

My radio problems have got worse! It now doesn't turn off exept with the ignition key.

My radio problems have got worse! It now doesn't turn off exept with the ignition key.

Try the old "failsafe" of disconnecting the Battery for 5 mins. Then re-connect and see if the memory gets 'tripped'

This may do the trick.

It may also, temporarily upset the ecu but this is normal and re-rights its-self in a few miles of driving.

Gotta be the 1st step, before taking drastic action.

Before someone says Take out the radio fuse, Easier! It may not help with the turning on/off without ignition bit. :unsure:

Try the old "failsafe" of disconnecting the Battery for 5 mins. Then re-connect and see if the memory gets 'tripped'

This may do the trick.

It may also, temporarily upset the ecu but this is normal and re-rights its-self in a few miles of driving.

Before someone says Take out the radio fuse, Easier! It may not help with the tudning on/off without ignition bit. :unsure:

Thanks, I was wondering if there was any kind of reset for the radio.

I did think of removing the fuse, but it has 2 fuses according to the handbook, & they also cover a few other things as well.

I'll let you know how I'm getting on, I'm considering getting a 3rd party set fitted, if these problems can't be sorted.

This may do the trick.

Before someone says Take out the radio fuse, Easier! It may not help with the tudning on/off without ignition bit. :unsure:

I did think of removing the fuse, but it has 2 fuses according to the handbook, & they also cover a few other things as well.

I'll let you know how I'm getting on, I'm considering getting a 3rd party set fitted, if these problems can't be sorted.

Any luck? :unsure:

This may do the trick.

Any luck? :unsure:

I've not tried it yet, I might wait until next weekend, as I need my car in the week.

Today I found that my radio kept scanning for a station even though I was tuned to a strong signal.

After I pressed one of the presets it would display the station name as normal, then the frequency would come up & it would tune through all the FM band into it got back to the station I was listening to.

I didn't try AM, it was difficult to do much while I was driving. I did tried a few of my FM presets, both national and local. The aerial was tightly screwed on so it can't be that.

As this problem has only occured today I was wondering if the change of temprature was a factor.

My old yaris started to do that! wouldnt stay on one channel! ended up listening to CDs, then trading it in for a new Yaris :yahoo:

Sorry i'm of no help!

hi guys im new to the forum and owna yaris VVT-i. i was wondering if whilst were on the subject of the radio anyone can tell me how easy it would be to fit some Speakers into the parcel shelf and wire it all up (myself :huh: ) and also hide all the wires, any info as im new on the car scene would be much appreciated, thanks guys :)

My old yaris started to do that! wouldnt stay on one channel! ended up listening to CDs, then trading it in for a new Yaris :yahoo:

Sorry i'm of no help!

I found a not very brilliant way of keeping the radio silent, I got a freebee DVD (promoting the Nintendo DS), put that in the drive, knowing that it couldn't read it, & it just flashed up a "can't read" error & stayed silent. Hopefully this shouldn't do any damage.

The radio seemed to have stopped scanning randomly until it got back the the original station, I don't know what I did but I was fiddling around with the CD drive & then the presets, before going back to FM1 & finding that it was staying on the station I had tuned in. I kept the station on the way home, but still won't turn off.

hi guys im new to the forum and owna yaris VVT-i. i was wondering if whilst were on the subject of the radio anyone can tell me how easy it would be to fit some speakers into the parcel shelf and wire it all up (myself :huh: ) and also hide all the wires, any info as im new on the car scene would be much appreciated, thanks guys :)

Hiya!

In my old yaris i just brought a nice pair of Speakers and paid Halfords £30 to fit it whislt i waited, but i had to make sure the holes were cut on the parcel shelf before i got there as they won't cut that for you onsite

Saves you taking apart the car! they do all the wire hiding mounting and connecting!

I tried to do it myself to begin with, but had problem with taking the front panel of the car off!

(but you may be more techy than me!)

I Had a check of the settings, & the random scanning only seemed to occur whent the Traffic Programme was turned on. I guess the RDS is having problems. The station names sometimes come up a little scrambled or not at all.

hi guys im new to the forum and owna yaris VVT-i. i was wondering if whilst were on the subject of the radio anyone can tell me how easy it would be to fit some speakers into the parcel shelf and wire it all up (myself :huh: ) and also hide all the wires, any info as im new on the car scene would be much appreciated, thanks guys :)

Hi, if you want the Yaris fit Speakers (Toyota ones) they are reasonably easy.

They fit in the shelf, with a template to make the hole (thats about the hardest bit) and the wiring has a connector near the side of the boot so you can unplug it if you need to remove shelf.

You have to take some of the dashboard off (quite simple... honest) and you route the wires under the interior trim, so have to pop them off. Then connect it up to the matching connector in the back of the fitted stereo and re-fit the bits you take off.

You should get all the details with the Speakers if you buy them new, used may be different, but someone will send you a copy of the fitting.

If you can do minor fitting jobs, it is not too hard. Well worth the effort! Takes about an hour to fit, plus time to cut the holes.

great, thanks for that info gar, i will be looking at getting some Speakers soon hopefully then but on a small budget so i will shop around and try to pick up a bargain. thanks again

great, thanks for that info gar, i will be looking at getting some speakers soon hopefully then but on a small budget so i will shop around and try to pick up a bargain. thanks again

I got mine, new from eBay. Sometimes dealers use it to sell old stock. Perhaps try asking local dealers if they have nos (new old stock) going cheap! With orig. ones, the wiring just plugs in and out, no cutting or fitting connectors.B)

great, thanks for that info gar, i will be looking at getting some speakers soon hopefully then but on a small budget so i will shop around and try to pick up a bargain. thanks again

i was thinking to try eBay but wasnt sure as i dont know much about car sound systems and which are highly rated and not so good! all i heard is that alpine are a good make but some of their tiems are way over my budget, i think i mite try the local dealers for some new old stock and see what they have. thanks again gar.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links