Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Concessions For Uk Prius Owners

jontracey

Hi

Other than not paying congestion charge in London are there any other concessions to hybrid drivers people know about ?

Jon

Low cost road tax :)

The feeling that you're saving the planet.

You do know that the meek are going to inherit it don't you? ;)

the problem with inheriting the earth is the chancellor wants most of it in tax, and the meek are too scared to say anything about it.

• 2 months later...
Hi

Other than not paying congestion charge in London are there any other concessions to hybrid drivers people know about ?

Jon

£15 p.a. road tax for a start!

Hi

Jon

£15 p.a. road tax for a start!

yeah I was thinking about free parking, or other non known concessions

Jt

Free Parking!!!

Err I don't think so, cars are not green enough yet for that, and anyway if the councils thought they could get away with charging for bicycles they probably would

Kingo :thumbsup:

Free Parking!!!

Err I don't think so, cars are not green enough yet for that, and anyway if the councils thought they could get away with charging for bicycles they probably would

My local sainsbury (superstore used to) provide free charging points for leccy vehicles. Dunno if that helps Pius owners.

My local sainsbury (superstore used to) provide free charging points for leccy vehicles. Dunno if that helps Pius owners.

Doubt it; you can't charge any of the Toyota/Lexus Hybrids from the mains can you?

Doubt it; you can't charge any of the Toyota/Lexus Hybrids from the mains can you?

Not this model, but I believe future models may have this feature. Im not sure how plugging your car into the "Fossil fuel" mains will save the planet though, lol

m not sure how plugging your car into the "Fossil fuel" mains will save the planet though, lol

But not all elektrickery is from fossil fuels; wind, wave, solar etc, etc.

You could even generate your own at home to charge it, using one of the above (or a diesel generator perhaps?).

You could indeed, I was being a little facetious. More and more of these hybrids will be introduced over the next few years as duel fuel cars will be the only way of mass producing a greener car for the foreseeable future. Hydrogen is a long way off for the mass market and I'm sure hybrid will improve significantly over the coming years.

You could indeed, I was being a little facetious. More and more of these hybrids will be introduced over the next few years as duel fuel cars will be the only way of mass producing a greener car for the foreseeable future. Hydrogen is a long way off for the mass market and I'm sure hybrid will improve significantly over the coming years.

My long term hope is to be able to convert my prius to plug in power, and generate it at home with a combination of wind and solar power.

The hydrogen fuel cell is being pushed by the oil companies as they need to have a revenue stream when we move away from Oil. They dont want home generation as there is no revenue for them. With hydrogen they still control the infrastructure to deliver it. So lots of money is being pumped into convincing us congressmen to support hydrogen instead of electric pure electric vehicles.

Jt

• 5 months later...

Actually yes, there is a free parking concession for Prius...

I bought my first Prius in 2002. At that time the London Borough of Westminster (City of Westminster) was registering all Prius as electric vehicles and awarding owners an 'Ecomark', a windscreen vignette that entitled the vehicle to park for free in meter and pay-and-display bays throughout the borough.

I have used mine ever since for free parking for the last 5 years, and I have had 9 parking tickets cancelled on this basis. The last ticket was cancelled 3 months ago, although I had to go all the way to the Parking Appeals Tribunal. Westminster's evidence stated that '...a vehicle displaying a Westminster Ecomark is entitled to park for free within the Borough's parking bays'.

They tried to claim that my car was not displaying an Ecomark, but in fact the parking warden had unwittingly photographed the Ecomark in the windscreen of the car when he/she photographed the 'offence'. Anyway, such idiocy is not really the issue it's the principle that counts!

I have a question for the Forum: does this mean that Westminster should apply the same principle to all Prius? Westminster has now stopped awarding 'Electric' ecomark tickets to hybrids. Instead, hybrid owners now receive an 'Hybrid' vignette, which of course does not entitle the vehicle to any free parking.

Can I use my recent judgement at the Parking Tribunal to help other Prius owners?

Stephen

The feeling that you're saving the planet.

You're kidding, right? Have you any idea how many tonnes of Earth's destruction it takes to make the batteries and as for the disposal of all those heavy metals... :censor:

I've had 2 Prius but I didn't buy it for its green credentials. I do love my Prius for being frugal, smooth, quiet, cheap to run and tax, full of technology and gadgets, but certainly not for being green when you look at the whole life cycle costs. I do agree it's green when it's being used, especially in towns with all the stop / start motoring and it churns out less nasties than an oil burner but overall...

You get free parking in Sheffield city centre, as long as you register in advance with the council.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links