Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excessive Rear Tyre Wear

IK1

Hello All,

I have a 2001 Avensis purchased about 6 months ago. I have a problem with the rear tyres. I have so far replaced twice in the last 6 months doing about 5000 miles. Although I used part worn I have used these before on other cars and never had a problem and lasted me about 7-8000 miles. But so far I have changed these twice where the thread just dissapears after about couple of months.

I also have a slight car/steering shake at 70-80mph but dissapears after more than 90mph and my steering is not centred.

Do you think it's wheel alignment issue??

Many thanks for your help!

21 views and no comments :crybaby:

somebody must have had some experience of this?? :unsure:

You'll find more people read than will post - just one of those things!

Sounds like you have some kind of alignment problem. I've never experienced this on rear wheels, only on front wheels.

Have you had it checked? Has the car been in an accident? Did you buy it from a reputable dealer? What make of tyres are you putting on the rear wheels?

If you bought it from a Toyota dealer then go back to them and get them to check. Get it checked anyway - perhaps the problem lies at the front too - what about the tyre wear on the front?

Thanks for the reply.

I was going to take it to the garage later. I purchased it privately.

The front tyres seem fine. They show less sign of wear and still have good thread but the rear ones wear out pretty quick.

And it seems pretty even wear rather than outside/inside wear.

I will get them aligned and see if that fixes. I also have slight steering/car shake at 70-80mph but I suspect I need the tyres balanced...the front ones haven't been balanced since I purchased it.

Many thanks

I took the car to a local garage and he said there is no rear wheel alignment on the avensis. He said take it to the Toyota dealer as it will require camber ajustment as the tyres are not sitting flat so outside is wearing out quicker. This is on both tyres.

Is he right or do I need tracking??

if you have a vibration around 70mph and it goes wwhen you go beyond 80 then i would say it is a wheel balance problem. the little weights they attach to the wheels have probably fallen off.

as for the rear wheels if the camber is out then they will wear unevenly. maybe you have gone down a pothole or the rear supension has altered slightly.

Hi There

I've got a 2002 D4D Avensis, and also get a steering wobble from 70 - 80mph

My (original) rear tyres (Dunlops) are absolutely knacked at 60,000 miles, when you raise the wheels off the ground they look like 50p pieces going round !

Frankly it amazes me they are still in one piece.

Just saving up the £138 for 2 Michelin energy replacements

Will let you know how it feels after replacement

And yes, you can adjust the rear tyres - offer a decent garage money to do this, so long as checking them is for free

Cheers

Buzlby

Hey mate,

My car had the same.I did tracking and was much out of line,but I still had steering-wheel

out of center so I did swap front wheels to rear and I did balancing front ones.It is much better but not perfect.

I still have to change rear tyres and balance them, maybe then will be perfect.

Cheers

Wojciech

I spoke to my regular MOT garage who also does repairs etc and as soon as I told him he said it's tracking. So I will take it on Friday to get fixed but I didn't realise how quick the thread went on one of the tyres.

I have a problem with the rear tyres.

I have so far replaced twice in the last 6 months doing about 5000 miles.

Although I used part worn I have used these before on other cars and never had a problem

I also have a slight car/steering shake

Do you think it's wheel alignment issue??

I think you have answered your own questions.

You never know the history of a part worn tyre. It may have ‘X’ amount of tread depth but it could have had a rough life prior to going onto your car.

If you want to save money and think your life is worth a little more than £30 a corner, try mytyres.co.uk

Steering shake could be down to tracking but also a dodgy tyre? I don’t think it’s worth the risk with tyres.

Several things spring to mind.

Vibration through the steering wheel is a FRONT balance problem. Vibration through the seat of yer pants is a REAR balance problem.

Part worn tyres are the work of the devil, not cheap, and not cheerful. Buy ANY cheap NEW tyre.

Steering wheel off centre is worrying, You must go and get a FOUR WHEEL alignment check. You are wasting your time having the tracking checked, this has to be more than tracking. The rear suspension IS adjustable but could just as easily be damaged, don't guess, take it to somebody (toyota dealer?) to get the FULL alignment checked.

Kingo :thumbsup:

Can someone please tell me whether the camber is adjustable on a 2001 avensis???

According to Hynes it is not but the toe in/toe out is.

Can someone please tell me whether the camber is adjustable on a 2001 avensis???

According to Hynes it is not but the toe in/toe out is.

I went to F1Autocentre and the chap said you can have the 4 wheels aligned which but I didn't think that would solve the uneven wear of the rea tyres. I thought if the camber is out that would make the tyre wera out unevenly from outside/inside.

I went to the F1 Autocentres and the guy did an alignment on the rear passenger side. So I don't understand how that will fix the uneven tyre wear however as soon as I drove the car the steering had a more feel to it and where as before if I went over a pothole/uneven drain covering the car always pulled or felt as there was not grip on the rear.

But now I went over loads of pot holes and the car always feel assured and straight.

So I am very skpetical that one little adjustment fixed all that and top it all my steering seems centred now. Not perffect but pretty much centred.

Anyway the chaps logic was that as one tyre was not aligned it was pulling the other one so grazing the outside.

So anyway I will give this a try for month or so and see the tyre wear.

I still think you should have a four wheel alignment. The toe is adjustable, the camber is fixed, however you may have something which is bent causing a problem with the camber. A picture of the suspension is below. Kingo :thumbsup:

65135427_o.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links