Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear View Camera

JHRC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shcm

• JHRC

• anchorman

• Fujisan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok heres a link to my original post showing the rear of the sat nav unit....

Link

Wiring Diagram

NavRear.JPG

and yes you need a ntsc camera... and one with a reversed image if you can get one.

oh and a good tip for you.... get some old PC motherboard plugs and with a bit of work they will fit the 4 pin plug (white) on the back of the nav unit. I used two trimed "fan" type connectors, soldered a phono lead to them and they just pluged straight in :D

hope that helps

Regards

Sp33dy1969

I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff and I'm alright with auto electrics but you electronics boffins just astound me!

I can never understand how my telly works when it is only operated by liquorice allsorts (but never those blue/pink with the beads on).

So if I call upon my electronics expert, the one and only shcm to join forces with Sp33dy1969, I bet between you there is a way of creating a 3.5mm aux input to these radios. That would solve a lot of problems and do away with the need for an Ipod interface (as a basic alternative).

Well fella's.

The gauntlet is down.

PS I prefer to keep my Ipod interface which is currently connected to the remote CD changer plug.

anchorman...

I'd love to be able to fix that one myself, but I’m afraid that when I looked at this before the only line level audio inputs I could find were the CD changer ones.

As the head unit uses a AVN (digital type network) communication system to talk too and from the CD Changer, Digital Tuner or Navigation units for example, the only way to fool the head unit is to build an interface to the "AVN" network that would make the unit think it's playing a CD with a very long track :unsure:

I know this has been done before as some time ago I found a webby site detailing the AVN comms protocol and a home made interface which did just that.

It turned out that each device on the AVN network used the head units line inputs as required in turn, thus the problem with this idea / method is that you loose the use of the CD changer. As I did want that, and I didn't have an mp3 player at the time I didn't pursue this any further.

Hope that makes sense

Regards.

Not even with liquorice allsorts?

I'm afraid I just have to take your word for it as that link is written in Latvian or something.

Ipod interface it is then.

Thanks anyway.

Regards

Not even with liquorice allsorts?

I'm afraid I just have to take your word for it as that link is written in Latvian or something.

Ipod interface it is then.

Thanks anyway.

Regards

Eh!!!!! :eek:

NTSC Camera's are easy to get on eBay, you just have to specify what format you want (NTSC or PAL) and they are already wired reversed.

I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff and I'm alright with auto electrics but you electronics boffins just astound me!

I can never understand how my telly works when it is only operated by liquorice allsorts (but never those blue/pink with the beads on).

Somebody call? :rolleyes:

Well Anchorman, strangely I'm OK with basic/intermediate mechy stuff, but I'd hesitate at stripping down and rebuilding a gearbox for example.

So if I call upon my electronics expert, the one and only shcm to join forces with Sp33dy1969, I bet between you there is a way of creating a 3.5mm aux input to these radios. That would solve a lot of problems and do away with the need for an Ipod interface (as a basic alternative).

Well fella's.

The gauntlet is down.

PS I prefer to keep my Ipod interface which is currently connected to the remote CD changer plug.

I've been brewing things in my head along these lines for a while, trouble is the day job gets in the way. :D

It turned out that each device on the AVN network used the head units line inputs as required in turn, thus the problem with this idea / method is that you loose the use of the CD changer. As I did want that, and I didn't have an mp3 player at the time I didn't pursue this any further.

yeah, I would guess true if the head unit only recognizes the CD changer AVCLAN ID. If it knows about other unit IDs you could possible fool it into using one of those and still keep the CD changer "dasiy chained" on the bus. If you mean you want to mix two different units audio outputs together, that might be more troublesome. Just thinking about 4.3 fitted units for the moment:

Searching through the nav unit DVD contents (the DVD contains some of the software for the nav headunit as well as the maps I believe), it would also appear to recognize a "DVD changer". That might be one option.

For the non-map head units, I don't know! Toyota have the ipod interface and also seem to have a DAB box. Can both of these be used together (suggesting the head unit knows separate IDs) or not?

If it only knows about the CD changer ID, maybe some kind of bus "gateway" could be build, where the gateway pretends to be a CD changer to the head unit, but "translates" bus traffic to multiple devices attached to it (e.g. CD changer, straight 3.5mm jack etc). Would need to devise some means of switching between them.

There are certainly possibilities......anyway must go. Off to Germany to look at some really scary liquorice - told you the day job got in the way....... :D

Cheers

I'll get me coat!

This thread stopped making sense to a big hammer guy at Liquorice Allsorts :lol::lol::lol:

shcm,

Firstly what do you do? I'm an RF electronics senior engineer based in Birmingham... (I see your in the mid's too) and yes not so good on the mechanics too :)

Secondly, I agree that you would indeed need an interface to the AVC bus and then switch the line level audios as required etc.

As for fooling the head unit, yes this could work... but the question is how do the ID's work. Does each AV device have a fixed ID given to them during production? Or do they get assigned an ID by the Head unit? Then comes the matter of software / control codes etc? And what the Head unit in question can control.

I guess the best way to play this would be either build the aux in interface as described on the corolla page and try it. or build a AVC-LAN sniffer to find the ID's & codes that would work with each Head unit as required.

The problem is, like you I too have a day job :( and secondly I can't really afford to have the head unit out of my car for the length of development time that would be required for this sort of project.

Then you have to ask, would it be worth it? i.e. if I did all this work on my full screen unit and it worked, there would be no guaranties of it working on other head unit types.

BTW I know of many devices that are capable of talking to the head units via the AVC-LAN: -

Single CD.

CD Changer.

MD Changer.

DVD.

DVD Changer.

DAB Tuner.

TV Tuner (Lexus only i think)

US Sat Radio Tuner.

Multi Screens + DVD

Remote Audio & Rear Head phones.

IPOD interface.

And so on...... and so on.

FYI... here's the hardware & ID tables from the Corolla MP3 site: -

Every device in network has unique address.

When single device have more functions, then additional 'logic id' exists.

Table: hardware address and device names

110 EMV 120 AVX 128 1DIN TV

140 AVN 144 G-BOOK 160 AUDIO H/U

178 NAVI 17C MONET 190 AUDIO H/U

1AC CAMERA-C 180 Rr-TV 1C0 Rr-CONT

1C2 TV-TUNER2 1C4 PANEL 1C6 G/W

1C8 FM-M-LCD 1D8 G/W for Trip 1EC Body

1F0 RADIO TUNER 1F1 XM 1F2 SIRIUS

230 TV-TUNER 240 CD-CH2 250 DVD-CH

280 CAMERA 360 CD-CH1 3A0 MD-CH

17D TEL 440 DSP-AMP 530 ETC

5C8 MAYDAY 1A0 DVD-P 1D6 CLOCK

1F4 RSA 1F6 RSE 480 AMP

table : logic device ID

01 communication ctrl 58 navigation ECU 80 GPS receiver

21 SW 23 SW with name 25 command SW

12 communication 60 tuner 74 Audio amplifier

61 tape deck 62 CD 63 CD changer

34 front passenger monitor 24 SW converting 85 voice control

E5 Trip info 55 bluetooth tel 56 information drawing

5D Climate ctrl drawing 5E Audio drawing 5F trip info drawing

28 beep dev in HU 29 beep via Speakers E0 climate ctrl dev

Sorry about the long post and going slightly off topic...

Best regards

Sp33dy.

I'll get me coat!

This thread stopped making sense to a big hammer guy at Liquorice Allsorts :lol::lol::lol:

Hang on I'm coming with you!

Pub I reckon?

:cheers:

I'll get me coat!

Pub I reckon?

Sound's good! :thumbsup:

shcm,

Firstly what do you do? I'm an RF electronics senior engineer based in Birmingham... (I see your in the mid's too) and yes not so good on the mechanics too :)

Er..........uncanny, almost SNAP! I hope I'm not developing a split personality disorder and sending posts to myself. :o (only kidding Sp33dy1969). Perhaps it's just the effect of me breathing too much aircraft cabin air recently. :lol:

Does each AV device have a fixed ID given to them during production? Or do they get assigned an ID by the Head unit? Then comes the matter of software / control codes etc? And what the Head unit in question can control.

I believe they are almost certainly hard coded into the head unit software.

The problem is, like you I too have a day job :( and secondly I can't really afford to have the head unit out of my car for the length of development time that would be required for this sort of project.

I've attached a harness to the back of mine, so I've got easy access to the bus, so the head unit hopefully can stay in place most (if not all) of the time. Although sniffing could turn out to be a long winded exercise.

Then you have to ask, would it be worth it? i.e. if I did all this work on my full screen unit and it worked, there would be no guaranties of it working on other head unit types.

Yep, I agree with you. I bought (goes slightly against the grain) an aux adapter (pretends to be a cd changer) for my old 4.2 and fed mixed car PC audio (mp3 collection) and transceiver audio through it. Tried the aux adapter with the 4.3 head unit and it works ok for about 5 seconds or so, then starts behaving strangely. The 4.3 head unit is almost certainly asking for information which the aux adapter doesn't support and which the 4.2 head unit didn't ask for. I suspect it is related to cd track time information, but I need to build a sniffer to confirm it.

I've not yet seen anybody selling an aux adapter which claims to support the 4.3 map display head unit, so I expect to have to do it myself. Of course, by the time I actually get round to it, one might appear :D

I'll get me coat!

Pub I reckon?

Then, of course, if you think about it, after a while it will all start to make perfect sense. :drunk: Unfortunately the created associated neural pathways are short lived. Their death leads to :bangin: the following morning as well as being back to square one.

Which reminds me of a software engineer I know about, who reckoned that safety related ECU software was always best written straight after a long pub session (I'm joking........honest!).

OK, now I'm way :offtopic:

Cheers

You mean a very long while and an awful lot of beer because nothings making any sense yet :unsure:

You mean a very long while and an awful lot of beer because nothings making any sense yet :unsure:

:o :o Anchorman, I may need to start drinking again and join you at the pub because I'm

seeing liquerice allsorts as well. ;)

:o :o Anchorman, I may need to start drinking again and join you at the pub because I'm

seeing liquerice allsorts as well. ;)

My round at the bar.. :drunk: , Dave ordered you a :pepsi: I've also eaten all the Liquorice Allsorts and now on the wine gums :wacko: :wacko:

Fit a tow bar or rear step and use that...or in my case dont let the wife drive it. :eek::crybaby: :ffs: :angry: :arrgg-matey: :wub:

No worries, Thanks for the reply Jim

Joe

Hi Joe,

I've uploaded pictures showing position connector for rear view camera and plug I made to use original connector.

P1000568.jpg

P1000567.jpg

P1000566.jpg

P1000896.jpg

P1000899.jpg

I hope this helps.

Jim

.... would give me a very useful pointer that the head unit can display other video sources apart from via the rear camera input.

Hi shcm!

I've found something about video input of B9004 unit.

http://www.novosonic.es/interfaces-multime...f61a8&pag=3

Go there and give a look. Price seems to be very expensive: 550€ !!! :o

Don't you think it could be possible to intercept audio/video signals from the rear ports of the unit without using the interface?

Let's go deep inside. Fabrizio

Hi Jim,

Your a star thanks for taking the time to post these again for me.

Joe

No worries, Thanks for the reply Jim

Joe

Hi Joe,

I've uploaded pictures showing position connector for rear view camera and plug I made to use original connector.

I hope this helps.

Jim

.... would give me a very useful pointer that the head unit can display other video sources apart from via the rear camera input.

Hi shcm!

I've found something about video input of B9004 unit.

http://www.novosonic.es/interfaces-multime...f61a8&pag=3

Go there and give a look. Price seems to be very expensive: 550€ !!! :o

Don't you think it could be possible to intercept audio/video signals from the rear ports of the unit without using the interface?

Let's go deep inside. Fabrizio

Hello Fabrizio,

my reply is over on the multimedia thread, to keep it separate from this camera thread.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links