Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scored Discs On New Car

J-Squared

Three weeks ago we took delivery of a new Verso SR 2.2 D4D and as we drove it away from the dealers we could hear the brakes making a grinding noise as they were applied. After 300 miles the noise was still there, there was a lot of brake dust on the front wheels and both front discs were scored.

We took it back to the dealer expecting an argument about trapped stones and pads/discs being consumables and not cover by the warrantee. I described the problem to the Service Manager who had a look at the car and said that they were having similar problems on the Yaris and that it was due to an incompatibility between the pads and the discs and that they would change them under the warrantee.

The work was done this morning and took 1½ hrs. Based on the limited miles covered since then, the brakes are now quiet and no signs of any disc scoring. I will be checking the discs regularly from now on.

Perhaps other owners of new Toyotas would like to check their discs in case the Service Manager is correct and is has become a common problem.

Regards to all.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hertsnminds

• Neil1968

• k+S

• Alp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a common problem on the new Verso, Avensis and Rav4's

There is a bulletin from Toyota which states the material % in the pads is too high and if the discs do groove then are to be replaced with new discs and pads.

They have now lowered the % to try and stop this happening.

Not seen/heard of any Yaris with this problem just yet though.

Mart :D

This is a common problem on the new Verso, Avensis and Rav4's

There is a bulletin from Toyota which states the material % in the pads is too high and if the discs do groove then are to be replaced with new discs and pads.

They have now lowered the % to try and stop this happening.

Not seen/heard of any Yaris with this problem just yet though.

Mart :D

Its really good to get a opinion from a Toyota technician many thanks for making an input into this forum your help is very much appreciated

Just a question by making the pads with a less % material does this mean the pads will wear out at a quicker rate ? I know it is cheaper to replace the pads than replace the discs

When i say less % material i mean the % of metal particles. I think the number was 4.##% lowered to 3.##% so not a massive difference but it must make a difference.

The scoring is made by the bigger metal particles. Did a full set of discs and pads today on an avensis.

Also forgot to put AURIS on that list above!

Mart

Many thanks to moonstone mart for his expert comments however the problem I had has returned.

Two hundred miles after the new discs and pads were fitted the offside disc is starting to show scores again although the nearside one is fine at present. The dealer now says that he will put it right but that Toyota say that if this problem reoccurs the disc is to be skimmed and not replaced. After the work has been done it has to be given a 5 mile road test before being handed back to the customer.

I cannot see that a 5 mile test will do anything other than confirm that there are no large metal particles at the surface of the pads. Of course the aim may be to polish off machining marks from the skimmed surface to allow for a lower standard of finish than new discs.

The car does not get worked on until 17 October and I will be very interested to see what results. Whatever the outcome fitting reclaimed discs to a new car does nothing to give me confidence in Toyota.

• 3 months later...

I have an 07 Verso TR which has currently done 7700 miles and I have had the Toyota dealer REPLACE the disks 3 times. In the worst case when the dealer returned the car to my home 25 miles from the showroom, one of the disks was already scored so the car was booked back in to the dealer to have the current set fitted, and 2 of these are already showing signs of scoring. I have been driving for 22 years and I have never come across such poor quality brake components, this is not what I expected from Toyota.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 2006 toyota corolla verso in May 2007 and the rear disc is badly scored. I took it to my dealer and they said its probably a trapped stone that caused it. I explained and showed them a copy of the forum topic about the pads containing too much % metal composition. They said they never heard of it and they have to investigate the car and if a trapped stone caused it I have to pay £90 plus VAT just for investigation alone. I have explained to them that I have noticed it a few weeks after I got the car since I don't know anything about cars I just assumed its normal until I read it in this forum. They said the stone might not be there anymore as its been sometime. I have not book in the car yet because I think that the chances are he will come back to me saying it is a stone that caused it even though they didn't find any stone and pay £90 plus VAT.

:( Just bought my new 2.2 D4D SR. Only done 47 Miles. Same problem. Toyota`s rep for reliability has taken a dip in my eyes!!!!! Didnt expect this in a million years. Any other major problems I should know about ???

Hi, all of the scored diskbrakers,

I'm driving my (Dutch) T180 since Jan 10th 2008 and the car is driving very fine.

Because I have snow tires on steel wheels, I never noticed anything on my disk brakes until (a quick look) at about mile 1500.

The disks are heavy scored and have one or two grooves on each disk. I went to my dealer and wen I asked him, he confirmed that the this is "a know issue" and already "under investigation" at the Toyota Company HQ in Japan.

The brake pads have (as already in this forum mentioned) an "X" percentage of iron in the friction material. So far, so good, but some of the metal "pieces" are "to big" and cause the grooves on the disks.

My advise, contact your dealer and have your care "registered" in this "know issue" so you don't have any risk and have your brakes replaced at the moment when Toyota comes with a solution.

By the way, imitation pads and disk's are not succesful. A customer had that done by his dealer and this had as result "unstable" breaking performance. In this case, all your standards like Brake Assist, VSC and ABS probably don't work, because the systems have another response from the brakes as "expected".

I bought a 2006 toyota corolla verso in May 2007 and the rear disc is badly scored. I took it to my dealer and they said its probably a trapped stone that caused it. I explained and showed them a copy of the forum topic about the pads containing too much % metal composition. They said they never heard of it and they have to investigate the car and if a trapped stone caused it I have to pay £90 plus VAT just for investigation alone. I have explained to them that I have noticed it a few weeks after I got the car since I don't know anything about cars I just assumed its normal until I read it in this forum. They said the stone might not be there anymore as its been sometime. I have not book in the car yet because I think that the chances are he will come back to me saying it is a stone that caused it even though they didn't find any stone and pay £90 plus VAT.

Hi, just to update I wrote a letter to Toyota GB and they phoned me back saying that yes it is covered under warranty. They phoned my dealer and my dealer booked my car in this coming Thursday. I will let you know how I get on. Cheers.

Hi, just to update I wrote a letter to Toyota GB and they phoned me back saying that yes it is covered under warranty. They phoned my dealer and my dealer booked my car in this coming Thursday. I will let you know how I get on. Cheers.

Hi, took my car in this morning at Currie Motors, and when I went to pick it up same guy I spoke to on my previous visit said it was a foreign object they found and that he will only charge me 1/2 hr for the work as it only took them 30 minutes to clean the disc and pads. I told him that I wasn't aware that there will be any charges. He said he mention it to me before about the £90 for inspection. I told him that Toyota GB told me its covered under warranty, and it was Currie Motors who phoned me and booked this appointment. He doesn't have any clue what I was talking about and don't know who among his colleague spoke to Toyota GB or who booked my car in. Anyway in the end he cancelled the charges but I was really disappointed to the work they did the grooves are very deep and still very visible. I am going to write another letter to Toyota GB. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just took my 3 week old SR D4D back for its second set of Discs and Pads. Did less than 120 miles on last lot. Very Bad materials. Worse thing is, The dealer had it it for My car pulling to the left and Didnt spot the problem with weheels off !!!!!!! Must of been blind. I saw it from a quite some distance. On the pulling to the left issue, they recon swapping my tyres will do the trick as the tracking was ok. Some how I doubt it.

Cheers

Disgruntled owner. Looking at my rights now on a refund.!!!!! :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Also found a scored disk on a Verso...was told by dealer that cheapskate Toyota will only skim the disks and not replace them. I won't accept this on an almost new car and so after much argument all disks are being replaced. Never had a Toyota before, but this along with the other problems I've had leave me with the impression that they are unreliable garbage, with an overstated reputation for quality.

• 4 weeks later...
Also found a scored disk on a Verso...was told by dealer that cheapskate Toyota will only skim the disks and not replace them. I won't accept this on an almost new car and so after much argument all disks are being replaced. Never had a Toyota before, but this along with the other problems I've had leave me with the impression that they are unreliable garbage, with an overstated reputation for quality.

I purchased a new Verso 2.2D4D at the end of March 2008. After about 2 weeks (600 miles) I noticed that the NSF disc was scored. I took the car to Derby Toyota and they replaced the disk and pads without me having to ask. However, about 3 days later (and only another 40 miles) I noticed that the same disk (NSF) was scored again. Took it back to Toyota Derby and they again replaced the disks and pads. It is annoying having to waste time getting this sorted out but I think that Toyota Derby were brilliant in the way that they handled the matter. My experience does not fit with Blurt's "cheapskate" tag for Toyota. The service department told me that the problem was down to a rogue batch of pads that were contaminated but there are no visual signs of contamination when they are fitted. Don't know the statistical chance of getting the problem twice but at least Toyota replaced the discs and pads twice without any quibble.

• 3 weeks later...

Dealer has replaced my front discs and pads twice, and the rears once, but they are again all scored. Dealer told me the cost of the replacements is borne by them (except for the first occasion), as Toyota GB will not pay for it. So the replacements have been purely goodwill on the part of the dealer, whilst the policy of Toyota GB is to skim the discs and reface the pads, that's why I think they're cheapskakes, and I wish I'd bought another Skoda instead. Along with the other problems I've had I'm still searching for the famed Toyota build quality, which at the moment is way below that of my 4.5 year old Fabia. Very unimpressed so far.

my SR has done 800 miles - both left side discs were scored - but Inchcape changed all 4 - if it happens again i think i will leave it until its in for a service.

• 3 weeks later...

Just book my D4D in for its 4th set of Discs and Pads!!!!!!!!! You would think they would know which batch of pads was creating this problem and set them to one side. Then use a new batch!!! Either that or all the pads they are using are bad. Even checked a show room model and it had scored discs to. My Verso is gettin replaced now, due to other faults as well as the brakes. Hope its better???

Does anyone have any photos they can post of the disc scoring? I have had my Verso since 25 April and can't say that I have noticed any problem so far (touch wood).

What are the actual side effects of scored discs, does it make the brakes less efficient (less surface area contact)? Does it actually make them more efficient by helping to keep them cooler (grooved/drilled discs are always more expensive)?

Hi, Dont have any pics as yet. Might take some actually though. Mine seems to score almost in the same place every time. usually about 1-1.5 cm from the outside in. Usually a fairly wide scoremark and deep to. It will be obvious if you have a problem. You moght be lucky though , hope you are. Side effects are uneven ware on the discs, probably leading to less brakeing efficency in the long term. If the metal that causes the score mark breaks off then the pad wont be in full contact with the disc, hence lack of efficeny. depends how bad it is. One of mine was scored in several places and on both sides of the disc. It usually shows it self after 100 miles or so depends on driving style. The dealer did a 1.2 mile test drive the last time and said that was enough to show the problem!!!!!!! Think not.

Good luck with yours though. Good car, just I seem to have problem child.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just booked my verso in for it's first service next Tuesday and I asked them to look at the scored front discs I have. I said that I understand that this is a common problem and I got the reply that "we've never heard of that before".

So can someone please post the Toyota Bulitin reference number so I can quote it to them and they can look it up.

Many thanks

-Neil

Does anyone have any photos they can post of the disc scoring? I have had my Verso since 25 April and can't say that I have noticed any problem so far (touch wood).

Good point. What are we looking for? Actuall ridges in the metal disc?

Mine shows as a definite groove about 1cm in from the outside. It's 2mm wide and about 0.25mm deep.

The discs are mostly ok they are not glass smooth but have a general fine grooved feel when you run your finger radialy across them but it's not too bad.

Should they feel like glass smooth as I have heard performance brakes are?

-Neil

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links