Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Pc Help Please

Calisto

I am in the market for a new pc (next week) and I was thinking about getting this one. :unsure: it also comes with Speakers. ;) Its not WiFi enabled but I already have a dongle, and the TFT is glass fronted.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw...gory_oid=-27735

Any comments much appreciated.... is it good for the money...or am I being taken for a ride?

Hi Calisto, I am no expert but it would be worth shopping around. I am on my second Dell PC. The reason I

chose it was my work has twenty odd Dells and we have very little probs with them. Some we have had for

years and rarely have they ever been turned off. There seems to be good offers on their website if you fancy

having a look. Some people dont like them I dont know why, but our IT guys are ok with them. If he's on

later i will ask a fellow Rave'r Chatman as he works in the IT industry.

Good luck ;)

i could build better for little less , but its not a bad bit kit like for the money to be honest

It's not a bad spec however I wouldn't touch PC World with a 10 foot bargepole... shocking customer service!

Ebuyer have always been really good for me - I got my lappy from them and hopefully buying another from them soon.... I'd highly recommend them and their prices are very good :thumbsup:

i use ebuyer all the time to buy the components . they are top notch at sending out new stock if anything fails . used them for 6 years now .

? can you still get 10 foot barge poles, i thought with all this global warming they would be 15 foot or so by now. ;)

Ebuyer ARE pretty good.. never let me down yet.

Not looked at the link... but I'm with GT4 Booster... a self built one for the same money would be better.

All parts would still have a years warranty.. so no worries on that front either. If you know someone near you who can build them... ask them.. you will either save money.. or get a better comp for your money everytime.

i use ebuyer all the time to buy the components . they are top notch at sending out new stock if anything fails . used them for 6 years now .

? can you still get 10 foot barge poles, i thought with all this global warming they would be 15 foot or so by now. ;)

No actually the bargepoles natural habitat is dwindling due to human expansion meaning therefore that bargepoles are becoming extinct and the ones in the wild at the moment are hunted for their extreme size and poking ability.... so much so that natural evolution is forcing bargepoles to actually shrink in size....

Join the RSPCBP now to stop this atrocity before its too late for the bargepoles!

Changed my mined....getting one built to my spec. (not at pc world).....I will have more details after I get back from Uni.

No actually the bargepoles natural habitat is dwindling due to human expansion meaning therefore that bargepoles are becoming extinct and the ones in the wild at the moment are hunted for their extreme size and poking ability.... so much so that natural evolution is forcing bargepoles to actually shrink in size....

Join the RSPCBP now to stop this atrocity before its too late for the bargepoles!

:lol:

ok here is the second choice being made to my spec.

3000 64but AMD Processor

400 watt tower case

Biostar AM2 DDR2 Mainboard

1 Gb memory

160 Gb 7200 rpm 133 Hard Drive

64 Mb 3D Graphics integrated

20x branded dvd -RW

6 USB PORTS

1.44 Mb floppy drive

240 watt Speakers

microsoft key board

17" tft flat screen

5.1 surround sound

wireless PCI

£440

Good deal.?

I bought a new machine about 3 months ago.

The spec is :

Intel 2 Duo Proc. !.8

Vista Home Premium

2048 Ram

500 Gig Hard Drive

19'' Widescreen TFT LCD Display

TV Tuner ( Digital and Analogue )

Sony Dual Layer 18 x DVD Writer

33 in 1 Memory Card Reader

5.1 Channel Surround Audio

Cordless Keyboard and Mouse

256MG integrated graphics

£499 incl. VAT and Delivery

I think I did quite well !!!!

64 Mb 3D Graphics integrated = games will be rubbish ,possibly surfing will be slow too .

this was my last ebuyer order , total £ 448 delivered

1 x Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker System

1 x Samsung SM940N 19" TFT Monitor

1 x Maxtor STM3160212A 160GB Hard Drive 7200RPM 2MB Cache

1 x LITEON DVD8900/DW1670 16x DVD±RW/RAM Bare Black

1 x Kingston Value Ram 512MB DDR2 533MHz/PC2-4200 CL4 Dimm 240 pin Unbuffered

1 x MSI NX7300LE-TD256E 256MB DDR2 DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Socket AM2 Dual Core (2.2GHz) 512kb L2 Cache AM2 Retail Boxed Processor

1 x Gigabyte Black Wired PS/2 Keyboard and Wired Optical Mouse Desktop Set

1 x Asus M2N-E Socket AM2 NF570ULTRA Audio Lan USB2 2000FSB SATA ATX

1 x Asus TA-250 Mid Tower Black/Silver Case With 400w PSU

1 x Sony 3.5" Floppy Drive Black - OEM

i just realised its asha omg !!

hiya there , hope ur well kidda. ;)

Hello Hun.....how you doin???? :rolleyes: ;)

I am fine, thanks for asking :blush: life is better than it was ...purring along quite nicely tbh :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
64 Mb 3D Graphics integrated = games will be rubbish ,possibly surfing will be slow too .

True for gaming... but if you're after a future proofed game machine you'd go with Intel. I've been an AMD fan for the last 7 years. I also used eBuyer for the last 7 or 8 years building myself and others' computers. Built around 100~odd now. I very recently had an AMD AM2 6000+ dual core (2mb cache) with 4GB Corsair XMS2 6400 DHX RAM (dual boot with XP Pro SP2 and Vista Ultimate... only see's 3.25GB), with an XFX 8800GT Extreme (512mb DDR3, 675Mhz core, 950Mhz memory)... and ran benchmarks. 3DMark2001 score (as more variability) for this was around 34000. With DDR 400Mhz memory, an XFX 6800GS XXX 256mb graphics card and an AMD single core 64-bit 3700+ cpu (overclocked to 2.8Ghz) I managed a score of ~28000. AMD really have dropped the ball with their dual core processors. They ruled the way with single core cpus. I refused to switch to Intel until now, and the tests have shown the difference. Have since sold my mobo and cpu and replaced it with another ASUS board but with Intel Core2Duo e8500 45nM (6mb cache), with a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler. Straight out of the box I got 58000 3DMarks without even overclocking. The AM2 6000+ pretty much maxes out overclocked at around 3.3GHZ as opposed to 3GHz standard. The Intel e8500 is standard at 3.16GHz and overclocks on air cooling to a stable 4.4-4.5GHz... 5.9Ghz has been achieved on liquid nitrogen cooling!!! Bear in mind though that this cpu alone is currently very sought after and around £190... plus a decent cooler like mine at £50 by the time you've added a decent quiet 120mm fan... so it soon adds up.

On-board 64mb graphics will give you shocking game play... but so can a PCIe 256mb graphics card. It's not just about numbers. Architecture and core/memory frequencies need to be looked at.

You can build better PCs yourself for the money, but spec up carefully, paying particular attention to supported RAM on motherboards and the architecture of the components. Don't buy components that your motherboard will choke... i.e. don't buy 800MHz memory if your cheaper mobo only supports 667MHz... unless you're planning on upgrading your mobo shortly. Memory is cheap... but again, check the specs. Look for the best timings and voltages required. Also look into hard drive specs. A decent hard disk can make such a difference to the speed of your PC. Check seek times. You don't need SATA2 to get quick OS operation. Make sure your power supply is up to the job. So many problems can be power supply related. My biggest advice is to do your research. Anyone can go on to eBuyer and spec up what they think is a cracking machine and sounds amazing on paper, but proper research will pay off. At the very least go to the motherboard manufacturer's website, look on their forums for that particular motherboard and see what sort of problems people are having. It really can help. You'll find out what problems other people have experienced. You must bear in mind though that people only tend to submit to PC forums when they have problems... and many problems can be associated to fat-handedness... and you will also find that a lot of people will report a problem, but if they fix it or find the answer elsewhere they don't tend to post their fix at the end of their original 'it's broken' post.

Anyway... whoever specs one up and builds one for you should know what they're doing.

Good luck to you.

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links