Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windscreen Washer Adjustment?

Sknarf

My screen washers squirt most of their water anywhere but on the windscreen! It seems that the stream of water bounces off the top edge of the bonnet before it hits the very bottom of the screen. This happens regardless of vehicle speed or anything else I've tried.

Had a look under the bonnet and instead of the traditional holes you can adjust with a pin they appear to be black plastic sealded units, which for the life of me I cannot see anyway to adjust. I may have missed the obvious, so if anyone can correct me i would be a happy bunny. ;)

cheers guys.

I'm sure I read on there that they're not adjustable, but there are three different types of washer jet available, each with a different spray angle. You just replace the jet to get the required spray pattern!

Good one Mr Toyota! :angry:

I needed to look this up as I have been asked before and driving an Auris I was curious. You couldnt think this one up so here goes.

The washer nozzles are fixed and do not adjust. If the washer jet does not hit the right area, you have to change the jet!

85381-12340 is -2 degrees (lowest on screen)

85381-12330 is 0 degrees (mid point on screen)

85381-12350 is + 2 degrees (highest on screen)

A trip to your dealer is on the cards I think, get it sorted under warranty, I told you it couldnt be thought up! :blush:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I just fitted the +2 degrees on my auris, and the spray hits about 5 cm higher up on the window... perfect!

• 2 weeks later...
I needed to look this up as I have been asked before and driving an Auris I was curious. You couldnt think this one up so here goes.

The washer nozzles are fixed and do not adjust. If the washer jet does not hit the right area, you have to change the jet!

85381-12340 is -2 degrees (lowest on screen)

85381-12330 is 0 degrees (mid point on screen)

85381-12350 is + 2 degrees (highest on screen)

A trip to your dealer is on the cards I think, get it sorted under warranty, I told you it couldnt be thought up! :blush:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I thought i was going mad on this one !! I talked with my dealer about this and they drew a blank.... I love the fuel economy and even the MMT but VERY VERY VERY VERY worried about Toyota doing this car on the cheap... I think i may be looking elsewhere brand wise next time.....shame i really loved my Avensis !!

PS... ta very much PARTS KING... the AURIS PARTS KING !!

Straight back to the dealer to be sorted along with the still squeeky breaks !!!

• 4 weeks later...

My wife pointed out to me the other day that she found the water from the washers was hitting the windows a bit low. I didn't think much of it until I saw this topic. And so I will hopefully be requesting the +2 degree washers soon. I'll let you know how it goes...

Just wanted to add one thing on the washer topic. NOt only do they hit the window very low, they keep on letting out water so that I have to keep wiping the windows afterwards. Or it might be that since the water hits too low, some of the water hits the wipers and its from here that the water then hits the screen due to the wind when driving. Anyway, I find it annoying that I have to wipe the window 3-4 times after using the washers...

Anyone else experience this?

Today I"ve repalce washer nozzles with +2 and now is O.K.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to drag this post up from the past (the beauty of the search button) but it might prove useful to other owners, as i've just spent 10 mins under the bonnet with a needle trying to sort this out before coming back to the forum for a search.

Can anyone confirm that these sprayers have been replaced under warranty? I don't suppose they are expensive if i have to pay, but as my car is not quite 3 yrs old, i'd rather let someone else sort it out.

but as my car is not quite 3 yrs old, i'd rather let someone else sort it out.

Take it to a dealer... it's still under warranty.

I know its under warranty, but is it a warranty item?

Technically the ones on the car work, so don't need replacing, but they are poor. So i'm unsure if i would be expected to pay to replace them, or if Toyota have a policy for fitting them under warranty.

:thumbsup:

Has anyone had them replaced under warranty?

I'd ask, nicely of course. If the spray pattern is out and a different angle fixes it then the correct ones have not been fitted from the start imo. And you say they are poor ?

I will try and find time to get across and ask them nicely.

Yes they are poor. They do work, but they don't clear the Wiper Blades on the first squirt, and don't go above the bottom 3rd of the windscreen, so the top gets road grim smeared around, and the bottom gets cleaned.

Not really ideal, so a better angle would be much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

My car has just returned from the dealers, and i enquired about the washer jets and was told that they are not covered by warranty as they are not defective, although Toyota dealers recognise that they are poor.

Replacements are available at £9..... each.

I know what I would do now.

I'd have whinge... nicely... and point at that 20 quid to "adjust" the washer jets is ridiculous. If it were me, I would (very nicely) mention that "Honest John" the Daily Telegraph motoring correspondent would probably love a story like that... and ultimately they are a safety item. Then politely ask the service manager to write down the address of Toyotas registered office (even if you know it) and say you are going to complain... so that he/she knows... which they won't like.

Quick update:

My car has just returned from the dealers, and i enquired about the washer jets and was told that they are not covered by warranty as they are not defective, although Toyota dealers recognise that they are poor.

Replacements are available at £9..... each.

Thats exactly the answer i got from my dealers 2 years ago when i requested they change the washer jets under warranty for the +2 degree ones , so the originals are still in place and still squirting the Wiper Blades and not the windscreen lol .

I find that i use more washer fluid than i would need to if they were aligned properly, so i'll be buying the new ones and getting them fitted as it irritates me having to drive with the washers on for 10-20 seconds in order to get the top of the screen wet.

I've decided to take a different route on fixing this.

On my last few cars i have always fitted Aero style Wiper Blades, mainly for cosmetic reasons, but they have normally out performed standard blades, so i have just ordered a set for my Auris.

The car will be 3 years old in March, and i think the blades could be originals as the car has done low mileage and they smear a lot, so a new set is probably due anyway, but also a lower profile might help to get the washer fluid on to the screen.

They should arrive in a day or two, so once they are fitted i will update this thread in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same.

Cost of Replacement washer jets delivered: £22.56

Replacement aero Wiper Blades delivered: £21.45

In my eyes, if the blades do the trick then they are slightly cheaper, and an item i expect to replace every so often, so they are the obvious change.

If they don't work, then i have replaced some worn Wiper Blades and will change the washer jets anyway. Either way, i will update so people can make a decision on how to improve them if they want to.

• 1 month later...

I just fitted the +2 degrees on my auris, and the spray hits about 5 cm higher up on the window... perfect!

Are they easy to replace?

How are they secured?

I assume the standard fit is 0 degrees?

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links