Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Tyre Pressure

Gfish

When I recently took delivery of my '06 prius, the tyres were all pumped to 180Kpa, and the ride was excellent.

Following the recommendations in the hand book, I pumped them to 230 rear and 240 front.

The ride is now hard. Can I safely reduce the pressure without compromising ride, fuel consumption and tyre life?

Can you please put the pressures down in English

psi = Pounds per Sq inch or Bar

I have never seen pressure measured as Kpa :unsure:

230Kpa is 33.6 PSI and 240 is 34.8

Sounds quite high, though 180 sounds very low. I doubt you can go anything like as low as that without suffering very poor handling outside edge tyre wear.

Does the handbook not give different settings for high loads and / or high speeds or is there just one set of figures.

Hand book gives 2 sets of pressures one for over 100 MPH and one for under this figure. I think the pressures for under 100 mph are 36 PSI front 34 PSI rear. (I hope I have remembered it correctly.) Check it out please.

Mine are set high at the moment but it is as it came from the dealer. 38PSI front 36PSI rear. I am going to lower them to the book figure. The hand book does mention the pressures should be checked regularly to maintain good fuel efficiency etc.

The space saver spare should be at 60PSI. according to the book.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I stopped at a garage and had left the handbook at home, so read the settings they had for the Prius on their wallchart, which was 29. I lowered all four tyres to this and the ride is not so harsh.

I appreciate that now they are at the wrong pressure but aside from worse fuel economy, is there any reason why I can't keep them at 29???

Thoughts?

Jon :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links