Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Fit Single Din A/v Headunit

sakib_uk

i just bought a celica and was reading up on the forums on how to remove the existing double din sony head unit. really found the guides helpful (thanks defiant frog!) but only problem is now i want to put my single din in but there isn't actually somewhere to keep the head unit in place. ive noticed that i would have to make some modifications on the brackets for the original stereo. i have a kenwood kvt-627 which i wana put in but cant. i have the fascia adapter (autoleads FP11-02) with the iso adapter and aerial adapter. i wanted to know can someone tell me how to mount the single din stereo onto the brackets or how/where to drill holes etc. thanks and any help is much appreciated!

i just bought a celica and was reading up on the forums on how to remove the existing double din sony head unit. really found the guides helpful (thanks defiant frog!) but only problem is now i want to put my single din in but there isn't actually somewhere to keep the head unit in place. ive noticed that i would have to make some modifications on the brackets for the original stereo. i have a kenwood kvt-627 which i wana put in but cant. i have the fascia adapter (autoleads FP11-02) with the iso adapter and aerial adapter. i wanted to know can someone tell me how to mount the single din stereo onto the brackets or how/where to drill holes etc. thanks and any help is much appreciated!

Hi there,

You have this unit?

Looking at the installation instructions I *think* you need to remove the sleeve and unscrew the brackets on the unit that allow it to connect with the sleeve.

The only half way decent image of the side I could find is this.

From what I can tell there is a single hole for a screw which should line up with one of the holes in the mounting bracket. The "nubbins" on the bracket should also line up with groves on the unit.

If you look at the pic from my guide here I hope you can see where your unit would go, either in the top or bottom half.

*Ah!* I perhaps see the problem, maybe you've ordered the wrong fascia :

Pre-2002 (pre facelift gen 7)

2002+ (post facelift)

The former is fitting in the middle of the dash, the latter is at the top and presumably the correct position to match up with the bracket holes.

Is that any help?

Thanks.

hi...thanks for replying...i kinda get what you mean but how do u mean the sleeve? also using the 2002 onwards fascia i can see how the head unit would sit but mines a 51 plate so shouldn't it be pre 2002? i think probably with the 2002 onwards fascia i wouldn't have any problems making the fascia sit. do you kno anywhere i can order it from and have it arrive tomorrow? need as soon as possible! your help is much appreciated. thanks

Firstly, s'ok fella - glad the guides came in to use. :D

I think I had the same problem as you - my stereo sits in the middle of the stereo hole in the centre console.

And I sorted out by taking the brackets out of the car, attaching the facia to the stereo mount brakets, slotting the stereo in to the hole in the front (making sure you get it the right way up - that was my first mistake!), then using a mix of measurement, maths, the finally good judgement of distance by sight with lining up the holes in the stereo, I marked up and drilled some new holes in my brackets. Think it took me a couple of hours in total (mainly cos I mounted my stereo in upside down to start with!)

Its been a long time since I did it, but if you can hang off until the weekend, I can take my stereo out and take snaps of the brackets and the lines I drew on them to work out where to drill, which might help you a bit...? Let me know...

Firstly, s'ok fella - glad the guides came in to use. :D

I think I had the same problem as you - my stereo sits in the middle of the stereo hole in the centre console.

And I sorted out by taking the brackets out of the car, attaching the facia to the stereo mount brakets, slotting the stereo in to the hole in the front (making sure you get it the right way up - that was my first mistake!), then using a mix of measurement, maths, the finally good judgement of distance by sight with lining up the holes in the stereo, I marked up and drilled some new holes in my brackets. Think it took me a couple of hours in total (mainly cos I mounted my stereo in upside down to start with!)

Its been a long time since I did it, but if you can hang off until the weekend, I can take my stereo out and take snaps of the brackets and the lines I drew on them to work out where to drill, which might help you a bit...? Let me know...

:( That seems a bit pants having to drill holes.

I wonder if the new hole that has to be drilled in the middle of the brackets actually lines up with the holes on the black plastic filler as seen in this pic I linked to previously. Specifically the 3rd hole from the bottom about half way between the screws?

Would make sense.

Anyhow good luck with it chappy!

Ooo, your mounting brackets are different to mine! so maybe the post-facelift single din conversion thingy would be no use at all in a pre-facelift!!

thanks for the replies...ok first thing im confused about is whether i have the facelift model or not...how would i know whether i have a face lift model (its a 51 plate). also you can see which fascia adapter i purchased initially...is that the correct one because i already put an order through for the 2002 onwards model fascia aswell (should arrive tomorrow). don't worry about taking out your steroe (no need to go the trouble)...i understand the whole mounting the fascia against the brackets but what i dont understand is also how on earth my head unit will actually sit in place. there isnt actually like a floor or some sort to support the head unit beneath it. all there is like a metal cuboid shape horizontal bar which i doubt would hold it. if you want i can take pics and show u aswell

You've ordered the right adaptor first time for a 2001 Celica.

In order to keep your stereo sturdy, you will (probably) need to drill some additional holes in your mounting brackets so they line up with the screw holes in the side of the stereo when you have the facia fitted to them, and the stereo slotted in to the facia, and screw some screws through them in to the side of the stereo. You shouldn't need to rest it on anything!

Can't envisage what this cuboid shaped bar thing is...?

lol...not to worry about the cuboid bar thing. i think i got the idea. gotta screw the brackets onto my headunit/cage (with or without drilling holes) and then screw the fascia adapter into the centre console somewhere? because i dont see any other way of making sure the fascia stays put i.e. without it moving about

I think my facia has two screw holes on some backwards protruding plastic bits, one top left, one top right, which (using my own nuts and bolts) I attached to two holes that lined up quite nicely on the mounting brackets. Once your facia is attached to the top of the brackets, the stereo is in the facia, and then screwed to your brackets, everything is pretty damn tight to be honest! No movement at all.

• 4 weeks later...
I think my facia has two screw holes on some backwards protruding plastic bits, one top left, one top right, which (using my own nuts and bolts) I attached to two holes that lined up quite nicely on the mounting brackets. Once your facia is attached to the top of the brackets, the stereo is in the facia, and then screwed to your brackets, everything is pretty damn tight to be honest! No movement at all.

DefiantFrog,

You seem to dedicate a shed load of time to peoples endless problems with fitting cd players. Gotta say thanks for the guide as before i spent about 5 minutes trying to just pull the thing out. You said that your mounting brackets were different to the one that was in the photo, my celica is x reg and the brackets are a goldish colour. Is it possible for you to take a picture of where you drilled the holes in your brackets as i think ive got the same as you, and im not that good at mathematics and measurements. Thanks in advance.

ollie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I've just bought a Gen 7 Celica (pre Facelift - 51 Reg) and am having the same problem. I've removed the old stereo and took the brackets off, but when i try to fit my single Din stereo to the brackets the only way it will fit is at the top of the bracket and not in the middle (where the gap in the facia is).

Also, my bracket doesn't look anything like the one in the pic posted by The Jackal, and doesn't seem deep enough in the middle to drill new holes where they look like they'd be needed.

If anyone can help i'd appreciate it as my only other option is paying Halfords £40 to do it!

DefiantFrog if your offer of posting a few pictures of your bracket and where you drilled the holes is still open, I wouldn't mind taking a look.

Thanks

Hey all! Missed these posts, sorry! I'll take some snaps as soon as I get a sec... With the missus about to go have a bath, that might come round sooner than I was thinking! :)

I have a spare single DIN adapter if anyone needs one. £5 + P&P. Was fitted to 2001 (Y plate car) but perfect condition.

It's the one that has a single DIN slot in the centre and no extra storage space though.

Hmmm, change of plan - I'm going to the Zoo instead. :) Will get some snaps up ASAP though, should hopefully help you out a bit! Fingers crossed, all the pencil marks will still be nice and clear...

Thanks Defiantfrog, that'd be great if you get a chance.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to check the posts through the week.

I'm hoping whoever has had the car before me hasn't just had their own brackets made because it's not the standard radio that's in the car now and the bracket looks nothing like the one The Jackal posted the picture of.

I've attaced a picture of one of the brackets on mine for you to take a look at.

Thanks

post-55684-1206792976_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, those are the brackets that I've just come across while attempting my single DIN conversion tonight. None of the holes line up at all with the FP-11-02 fascia adapter.

Will the replacement parts (the brackets seen in TheJackal's image) from Toyota actually help me, or do I need to drill?

• 4 weeks later...

just redone the stereo with the new facia panel and drilled holes. quite dissapointed in the facia as i would of presumed that it would of been similar to the old facia where it lines up with the holes. but no. plus its a complete diffrent shade of silver which makes it look quite cheap.

going to have to go to the drawing board with this one and try customise something. maybe put back in the old facia and get a Badge made up that will slot in underneath

Is it a dark grey, and your interior is a light silver kind of colour? If so, you probably brough the facelift facia, not the pre-facelift facia.

If the colour match is close, but not quite right, take it back and demand a new one / refund - its not that hard to get it right!! The Autoleads one is a good match in colour. I may have one up for grabs before long!

my interior is a dark grey and the facia is quite light. but im planning on taking the facia out put in double din cover and make a facia with celica in fancy writing so that i can fix it to the bracket

• 3 years later...

I have a 1994 Celica GT and was wonder where to get a single din adapter fro it thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links