Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear 12v Accessory Socket

Relaxed

I have just bought a Prius T-spirit, but having previously driven an Avensis Verso, the only thing I miss (apart from the elbow room and 2 seats ;) ) is a rear 12v socket to plug in our cool box.

Has anyone managed to add one of these or does anyone know if it is possible or worth investigating? The socket inside the Prius' console is a bit of a stretch and anyway who wants to mess up that clean interior with lanky extension cables!

Any helpful comments would be appreciated!

I have just bought a Prius T-spirit, but having previously driven an Avensis Verso, the only thing I miss (apart from the elbow room and 2 seats ;) ) is a rear 12v socket to plug in our cool box.

Has anyone managed to add one of these or does anyone know if it is possible or worth investigating? The socket inside the Prius' console is a bit of a stretch and anyway who wants to mess up that clean interior with lanky extension cables!

Sorry mate as I haven't got any helpful advice but I wanted to share with you that I completely agree that the Prius is lacking from a rear 12v socket. I'm sure if you knew a competent sparky he could do it by tapping into a local wire in the boot area. My brother in law is a top RAF (and now BAe) sparky instructor and I've thought about asking him to fit one in the boot. He's done LED's in the boot of my previous modded Celicas before with ease. Halfords probably sell the sockets for a few £'s

Sorry mate as I haven't got any helpful advice but I wanted to share with you that I completely agree that the Prius is lacking from a rear 12v socket. I'm sure if you knew a competent sparky he could do it by tapping into a local wire in the boot area. My brother in law is a top RAF (and now BAe) sparky instructor and I've thought about asking him to fit one in the boot. He's done LED's in the boot of my previous modded Celicas before with ease. Halfords probably sell the sockets for a few £'s

Cheers Habu, thanks for the reply, just wondered if anyone had dipped their toe in this one before me.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I noticed this omission before taking delivery of my T Spirit in April 2005 and asked the dealer to fit an extra outlet at the rear. They declined saying they were only allowed to fit Toyota approved accessories. So it was a DIY job. No particular difficulty but obviously job must be done with care. Give me a few days and I will take a photo and see if I can find a way of including it in a more detailed reply.

Hello,

I noticed this omission before taking delivery of my T Spirit in April 2005 and asked the dealer to fit an extra outlet at the rear. They declined saying they were only allowed to fit Toyota approved accessories. So it was a DIY job. No particular difficulty but obviously job must be done with care. Give me a few days and I will take a photo and see if I can find a way of including it in a more detailed reply.

Hello again,

I have taken a couple of photos showing the auxilliary power socket which I installed three years ago in my Prius's luggage compartment to enable me to run my cool box. This has proved very satisfactory and I have never had problems running the Battery down although you must remember that, as it does not need to run a starter motor, it is smaller than on conventionsl cars.

Unfortunately, I can find no way of pasting these into this forum; clicking the "insert image" icon in the lower menu bar doesn't do what I expected. It would be much simpler for me to contact you by conventional e-mail if that is acceptable to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I bought my Prius in June 2006. The dealer fitted an extra 12V socket in the boot for me. My dealer is Market Toyota in Claremont, Cape Town.

Hi

I bought my Prius in June 2006. The dealer fitted an extra 12V socket in the boot for me. My dealer is Market Toyota in Claremont, Cape Town.

A bit too far to travel to have a socket fitted.......Staffordshire to Cape Town......:eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Octavius...

Just been having a nosey around to find out a bit about the prius...

#I've got a rav at the moment and with all the tax increases and rising fuel costs I was really thinking about getting a prius... only problem is I need to be able to accommodate 3 infant seats in the back and all the baggage that comes with it so unfortunately the Prius is a no go for me... However getting back on topic ...

If you take a look a the Rav4 section of this forum there is a brilliant post ,by a chap called chatman which has been pinned so that you can go to it straight away, which describes how to post images using photobucket...

Really easy...

have fun

Regards

Rob

B)

Hello,

Hello again,

I have taken a couple of photos showing the auxilliary power socket which I installed three years ago in my Prius's luggage compartment to enable me to run my cool box. This has proved very satisfactory and I have never had problems running the Battery down although you must remember that, as it does not need to run a starter motor, it is smaller than on conventionsl cars.

Unfortunately, I can find no way of pasting these into this forum; clicking the "insert image" icon in the lower menu bar doesn't do what I expected. It would be much simpler for me to contact you by conventional e-mail if that is acceptable to you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links