Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cycle Carriers For Rav 4 Xtr

sputnik

I have just puchased a brand new XTR and I was wondering does anyone have or know of a good cycle carrier that will fit. The straps on the one I have will not fit onto the top of the door due to the spoiler

I have just puchased a brand new XTR and I was wondering does anyone have or know of a good cycle carrier that will fit. The straps on the one I have will not fit onto the top of the door due to the spoiler

Welcome to the club sputnik :thumbsup:

There is only a roof mounted cycle carrier shown in the Rav brochure, so I'm not sure if one is available for the rear door (the recent deletion of the rear tyre might lead to one being brought out)

If you contact Parts-King (we call him Kingo for short) he will help you, as he works in the parts department of a Toyota dealer, he's a top bloke too! :D

(if you're really lucky he'll read this thread!)

:D:

Im here ;)

It's all a bit expensive I'm afraid. The only thing Toyota do is a tow bar bike extension, you need a towbar AND bike extension which comes in at a tidy packet. The other option would be a bar rack and roof rails, but they have stopped doing the bike holder that fits to it! However I'm sure a standard cross bar bike rack would do the job, PM me if you want prices etc

Kingo :thumbsup:

I guess sputnik just wants a generic strap on the back door type cycle carrier you can buy from Halfords etc.

I've never used one before, so don't know what the problem you are encountering. But there must be one that would fit on the RAV?

I'm interested in getting one too, so would like to know if there is. Would go for the towbar and rack, but think I would only use it 2 or 3 times a year, so not really worth the outlay.

• 1 month later...

Hello Sputnik

I'm in the same boat as you. I've signed up to do a couple of triathlons this year and nedd to be able to get my bike around to the events. Did you solve this problem?

Can anyone else help? Thanks.

Hello Sputnik

I'm in the same boat as you. I've signed up to do a couple of triathlons this year and nedd to be able to get my bike around to the events. Did you solve this problem?

I purchased a bike bag, take off both bike wheels drop the bike into the bag with the wheels either side of the bike in wheel bags. My bag stands up behind the rear seats for short journeys, does impair rear view somewhat.

The bag can be laid down with the rear seats dropped. I find it is quicker to bag the bike than mount racks etc..

We are going to France this weekend for a month both bikes will travel this way in their separate bags. :yahoo:

Hello Sputnik

I purchased a bike bag, take off both bike wheels drop the bike into the bag with the wheels either side of the bike in wheel bags. My bag stands up behind the rear seats for short journeys, does impair rear view somewhat.

The bag can be laid down with the rear seats dropped. I find it is quicker to bag the bike than mount racks etc..

We are going to France this weekend for a month both bikes will travel this way in their separate bags. :yahoo:

Thanks for that Terry

My mechanical skills are somewhat rudimentary, so I'd be worried if I took both wheels off, I'd never get them back on again! It sounds like a cheaper option though. Towbar plus cycle carrier looks like it would be £200+ from the research I've done.

I would like to buy a cycle carrier to put on the back, but have read somewhere (here?) that the hooks that come with these cannot attach to our rear doors because of the spoiler? Is this only on certain types of rear carrier? Originally i thought I would get roof rails, as we already have the cross bars for my wife's car, and my brother has some roof mounted cycle carriers, but think this is a bit excessive, if you are going to nip down the local park for a ride with the kids. Still may get the roof rails at some time though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links