Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Consumption

Panners

I've noticed the last few weeks the petrol consumption increasing and the car's just had a service, all filters changed, new plugs (iridium/platinum), only 70K on the clock, never drinks a drop of oil, and it's just done 10 gallons in 250 miles, mostly motorway driving and only a touch over the 10% plus 2mph limit.

Is anyone else experiencing such poor output, or have you done in the past and found the root cause (if any) ???

Cheers.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T Sport 1978

• Hogie

• SCOOB_81

• flumpsfriend

Blimey, thought my consumption was bad!

I'm currently getting around 30mpg, not going over 70mph on the motorways and changing gears at around 2.5k revs.

Not used lift for a few weeks now :(

Blimey, thought my consumption was bad!

I'm currently getting around 30mpg, not going over 70mph on the motorways and changing gears at around 2.5k revs.

Not used lift for a few weeks now :(

Hi all,

I usually get around 280 miles from a tank full to the brim and filling with one section of needle left... This is usually 45 litres of fuel. This works out around 28MPG.

Most i ever get out of the tank is 300 miles which is around 30MPG...

Worst i get is around your figure of 250 miles... or 25MPG.

To be fair 28-30MPG sounds about right to me... Its the price of high gearing and low torque i guess especially for motorway driving.

I actually find that it works very well round town though.

well mine never goes above 26mpg when im driving, although when my mother drives the car for 20 odd miles and i reset the computer it reads 29mpg, if my mother had the car through a full tank i think it would be mid 30's

Mine had been doing 24mpg with mainly town driving and the odd bit of lift....Have started using Super Unleaded and checking the tire pressures every week and its now doing 30-32mpg.....

I find the MPG is pants using ordinary supermarket fuel...

hi, im doin in 20 quid in70 miles in the compressor,and thats drivin it like a granny,the !Removed! thing goes tomoz.only owned it for 6 months its just insane no wonder only 250 on sale and they had trouble shiftin them.a NIGHTMARE.

lol i get 20mpg in my compressor and thats granny driving. i get 24mpg sticking to 70mph. the mpg is aweful. no wonder they removed the mpg calculator from the thing. but i still love it lol

I get 38 mpg mainly motorway driving (70ish) using Shell RON 95 fuel but 32 mpg using standard supermarket stuff.

I get 28 mpg around town - doesn't seem to make much difference what fuel is in the car

I tried Shell vpower for a month and didn't see any difference in the fuel consumption in my CTS but lift seemed to give more umph :thumbsup: - had to stop using it as it was causing a nasty hole in my pocket :(

Try Shell 95 RON, no more expensive than anywhere else really but you do get more miles for your money - something to do with the cleaning agents they add :D

Well it seems from your responses that we're gifted with a juicy engine, that going by the figures quoted doesn't appear to have much consistency regarding MPG.

Personally I've noticed no difference in consumption when driving like a cloister of vicars as opposed to driving to the national speed limit.

The strange thing is that the car would regularly travel 350 miles at least until the low fuel lamp lit.

Cheers all.

Well it seems from your responses that we're gifted with a juicy engine, that going by the figures quoted doesn't appear to have much consistency regarding MPG.

Personally I've noticed no difference in consumption when driving like a cloister of vicars as opposed to driving to the national speed limit.

The strange thing is that the car would regularly travel 350 miles at least until the low fuel lamp lit.

Cheers all.

350 miles? WOW

Seconded!

I don't think i've even got 300 out of a tank!! :lol:

I third that! 350!? :o Wow, thats impressive! Is it all motorway miles? I class 260 as good and I drive very light footed. I bought the car thinking I'd get a much better return on fuel (Maybe 280) than the S2000 I had at the time. I get per fill up around an extra 15 miles for the same price :(

I use V-power as I've always found you get slightly more power and mileage, which balances out the extra cost compared to regular 95 ron.

I only ever got 350 once,filled in london and all motorway back to Ireland, usually 300 and then the light comes on.

I third that! 350!? :o Wow, thats impressive! Is it all motorway miles? I class 260 as good and I drive very light footed. I bought the car thinking I'd get a much better return on fuel (Maybe 280) than the S2000 I had at the time. I get per fill up around an extra 15 miles for the same price :(

I use V-power as I've always found you get slightly more power and mileage, which balances out the extra cost compared to regular 95 ron.

I love S2000... :thumbsup:

Tell me, how was it to own? How does it drive and what's the engine like?

I only ever got 350 once,filled in london and all motorway back to Ireland, usually 300 and then the light comes on.

Maximum i have ever squeezed out of mine was 320... Filled it up full and it came to 51 litres... Which means i could have went another 20 odd miles i reckon before i come to a halt.

In a nutshell mate – awesome!! :thumbsup:

I had to sell mine as I needed something a bit more practical, but they’re comfortable enough as a daily driver and I had no problems with mine. But they’re fantastic to drive, so sharp and grippy with the handling, and my the engine!!!! Sucks you into the seat up to up to 90 in third and howls till it hits 9k! I miss that :(

If you ever get the chance to have a blast in one do it!!! :thumbsup:

But careful in the wet or wear brown under-crackers!!!!!!!! :P

I had to sell mine as I needed something a bit more practical, but they’re comfortable enough as a daily driver and I had no problems with mine. But they’re fantastic to drive, so sharp and grippy with the handling, and my the engine!!!! Sucks you into the seat up to up to 90 in third and howls till it hits 9k! I miss that :(

Well, you have another rev crazy car with the T Sport, but i am suprised that you didn't stick to another high rev Honda (i.e CTR).

I have tried to book a test drive with a local Honda dealer before, but i think i must look like a poor rag or something and didnt get much service. I just let it go because i knew full well that i wasn't going to buy the car. Still, i think i will go again and this time dress in my £50 NEXT finest suit. :thumbsup:

Maximum i have ever squeezed out of mine was 320... Filled it up full and it came to 51 litres... Which means i could have went another 20 odd miles i reckon before i come to a halt.

I once got 430 miles out of a tank once :thumbsup: on a trip from Manchester to Edinburgh and back again, all motorway driving and driving like my Grandad, did get a little worried when the red light came on and when I did eventually fill up I put 53 litres in my tank :eek: needless to say I'm not doing that again :D

Well, you have another rev crazy car with the T Sport, but i am suprised that you didn't stick to another high rev Honda (i.e CTR).

I have tried to book a test drive with a local Honda dealer before, but i think i must look like a poor rag or something and didnt get much service. I just let it go because i knew full well that i wasn't going to buy the car. Still, i think i will go again and this time dress in my £50 NEXT finest suit. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was looking for a CTR, but couldn’t get the one I wanted. I kinda wish I’d hung on for the DC5 I’ve REALLY always wanted though, just I prefer a car to handle rather than be fast in a straight line – not like the Corolla which handles like a fat bird on a space hopper. :blink:

Hey, dig out that suit and give it a crack, but be prepared to want it!!! :thumbsup: Thought about trying something cheeky like that with an older NSX at our local Honda a few years back, but I bottled it!

Anyway, sorry to go off topic folks and back on the fuel issue mine has just stooped to a new low of 124 miles on half a tank till the fuel light comes on. That’s mixed driving with NO lift - it’s not too impressive like. The price of a tuned 1.8 I suppose.

Yeah, I was looking for a CTR, but couldn’t get the one I wanted. I kinda wish I’d hung on for the DC5 I’ve REALLY always wanted though, just I prefer a car to handle rather than be fast in a straight line – not like the Corolla which handles like a fat bird on a space hopper. :blink:

Hey, dig out that suit and give it a crack, but be prepared to want it!!! :thumbsup: Thought about trying something cheeky like that with an older NSX at our local Honda a few years back, but I bottled it!

Anyway, sorry to go off topic folks and back on the fuel issue mine has just stooped to a new low of 124 miles on half a tank till the fuel light comes on. That’s mixed driving with NO lift - it’s not too impressive like. The price of a tuned 1.8 I suppose.

NSX is another one that caught my eye... NSX-R to be precise... One day...maybe. ;)

Anyway, enjoy the great 2zzge even though the car doesn't have ideal handling, its one of the last truly great high revving N/A engines out there BAR K20Z4 of CTR... :thumbsup:

124 miles sounds way off... Do you do a lot of town driving?

I have religiously filled this CTS with Vpower (except once when the wife put normal Shell unleaded in!) and get a pretty consistent 33mpg, and that includes plenty spirited driving on my 30 miles to work.

Keeping the tyre pressure right is a good tip, it's amazing how much underinflated tyres can effect the mpg.

Snert

I too fill mine with V-power and the computer tells me it's around 35mpg this is mostly steady commuter mileage to work - 16 miles - half A road / half motorway - I tend to take it pretty easy most of the way with occasional blasts just to give me a bit of a kick along the way!!

The wife's cts normally gets unleaded and shows 33mpg but I'm sure that it ain't driven as hard as mine.

I've calc'd the mpg manually in the past and it's always been over 30mpg but you can see that it would be extremely easy to blast a tank of fuel for not many miles!!

Think the conclusion is you should be able to drive fairly restrained and get a reasonable mpg but you must accept the hit in the lift!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links