Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Store A Car In Outdoor

chammi@xA

Hi All,

I’m planning to go abroad for about one year… I want to know how to store my car in my outdoor garage which is open to outside on all four sides. There is no one to use it for that period. Will it be all right to remove the Battery from the car? What are the extra precautions that I have to take care of?

Is there no way you can hire a garage for that time?

If not, then other than disconnecting the Battery (take it out of the car would be best), get yourself a really good car cover. That should give it some decent protection from the elements.

Once you're back though, you'll need to give it a good go other before you drive it.

what he said/^^^^^, except you'll probably want to cover up the tyres and place axle stands in place just half an inch under so that should your tyres randomly deflate (had that happen to me) your car aint sittin on it's rims! and put duct or brown tape around the edges of the windows and close the vents in the car to prevent moisture from getting in and creating mould on the upholstry and dashboard, nothing worse than coming back to a mouldy smelling car sittin on its rims!

Thanks edwardio, DonDavidson...

Unfortunately it is hard to find a fully covered garage for that period edwardio....

By the way, will the ECU or any other electronically controlled part of the car be badly affected by removing the Battery??

I have a doubt about covering the car for a year, I mean, will it cause a bad effect for the car paint??

Good point DonDavidson, I never thought abt the axel stands...

Thanks

I've not hired a garage before so didn't know hard hard it was to find one.

No covering the car shouldn't effect the paint, as the cover will be a protective layer from the elemnets, animals, bird muck & sun light. I would strongly suggest getting a cover though.

The ECU will be ok as it's a electronically programmed device. Once programmed it has to be electronically erased before reprogramming. Everything else will be ok as well. Though you might need to put a code in the radio once you reconnect the Battery.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links