Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vehicle Excise Duty

anchorman

This is how it seems to pan out

140 diesel

Currently - £165

2009/10 - £205

2010/11 - £210

T180

Currently - £165

2009/10 - £260

2010/11 - £270

2.0VVTi (manual and auto)

Currently - £205

2009/10 - £300

2009/10 - £310

Helpful, but not all there -

1963 Humber hawk - nil road tax

1963 Landrover - nil road tax and an increase in heating allowance

1994 3 door petrol RAV turbo - nil road tax for disabled Scottish nutters

1994 3 door petrol RAV turbo - £0 if the plates are the same as the first version, and both don't go on the road the gether (unlikely wi 1 driver)

Caravan wi large diesel gennie using red diesel and used oil from frying mars bars - less tax than a bottle of good Frog wine

Case of whisky - £25 from Poland and a £40 return flight wi Polair, subsidised by selling fags tae the unfortunates who cannae afford hunners fur a passport or cannae speak English fur the interview.

Court case now pending tae claim back-child benefit fur the fower brats that cost millions tae edukait @ £20 a time a week

Noo advertising fur auld yins oer 80 wi a need fur a room ower Christmas and a £400 heating allowance!!

Free white wigs an black eye-broos fur folk frae Edinburgh

Should've increased the price o Chelsea tracturs 200% tae force folk tae trade up tae RAVs

Noo drinking aw the spirits in the hoose so ah hae tae restock afore Sunday!!

Very useful info Anchorman, was more worried about the petrol/diesel as that's the real stinger at the moment, although as my T180 will cost a whoping £260 to tax that's really hurt too!! Have to start a 3rd savings fund now to join the petrol and runflat tyres ones I've already got on the go!

Don't suppose you know the exact date of the changes - my tax is due Jan 1st 09 - does that mean I'll be paying £260 or the slightly more reasonable previous price! Hate to think what I'd be paying if I'd kept the GTI!

140 diesel

Currently - £165

2009/10 - £205

2010/11 - £210

T180

Currently - £165

2009/10 - £260

2010/11 - £270

Currently - £205

2009/10 - £300

2009/10 - £310

So according to this then the diesel's are not so gas guzzling monsters as some seem... Looks like Petrol is the bad boy of the family then :o :o ...The wife's 1.6 petrol car is only £10 cheaper to tax than my 2.0 D4D... ;) ;)

yea 3 cheers for 2.0 d-4d, pity we aint got ours at the moment.....probably get it back just in time for the tax hikes ;)

140 diesel

Currently - £165

2009/10 - £205

2010/11 - £210

T180

Currently - £165

2009/10 - £260

2010/11 - £270

Currently - £205

2009/10 - £300

2010/11 - £310

Do you know from which month the rate changes? - be worthwhile cashing in the tax disc early and buying a new annual one the month before

I *think* it comes into effect April 2009

Had a look around the web - seems that the rates come in with the financial years - so yup, April 2008 is a bit of a rise, April 2009 is painful!

definately worthwhile changing the date your tax disk needs renewing :(

What a complicated job they have made out of it...........pah! I would use the pushbike a bit more but I had a blowout in it on Sunday :eek: Had to push the push bike home Grrrr

Kingo :thumbsup:

Aaah, you don't know when you're well off!! Motor tax in Ireland is currently still based on cc, so for my 2.0 it's €590 pa = around £445, here's a full list...

Irish Motor tax now

but, not to be left behind and as we have some greens in the Dail (the Commons), for newly registered vehicles we're moving to CO2 based motor tax effective July this year. Existing vehicles will continue to be taxed by their cc, though. Confused? You will be.

This announcement resulted in the emergency purchase of large numbers of big gas guzzlers and a complete slump in enviro-friendly cars - prospective buyers were playing the wait and see game. This confusion has been cleared up (!) in a u-turn by the Minister, who stated "that all new cars registered from 1 July 2008 will have their motor tax rate based on the CO2 emissions level. The new CO2 based system will not apply to the import of pre 2008 cars. New cars registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will initially have their motor tax charged on the basis of the existing engine size (c.c.) system. However, a low CO2 emitting new car registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will have its motor tax switched to the lower CO2 based motor tax rate on first renewal of motor tax post 1 July 2008, when the new CO2 based system commences. New cars which are registered in the first 6 months of 2008 whose tax would be more under the new CO2 based system will continue to pay motortax on the basis of engine size" Over here, we're all delighted with that clarification - if only we could understand it.

The new regime is

Band A, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of under 120grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €100.

Band B, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 121 and 140 grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €150.

Band C, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 141 and 155grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of € 290.

Band D, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 156 and 170 grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €430.

Band E, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 171 and 190grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of € 600.

Band F, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 191 and 225 grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €1,000.

Band G, the top band – motor tax rate of €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per kilometre.

And they are thinking of introducing congestion charges in Dublin!!!

Aaah, you don't know when you're well off!! Motor tax in Ireland is currently still based on cc, so for my 2.0 it's €590 pa = around £445, here's a full list...

Irish Motor tax now

but, not to be left behind and as we have some greens in the Dail (the Commons), for newly registered vehicles we're moving to CO2 based motor tax effective July this year. Existing vehicles will continue to be taxed by their cc, though. Confused? You will be.

This announcement resulted in the emergency purchase of large numbers of big gas guzzlers and a complete slump in enviro-friendly cars - prospective buyers were playing the wait and see game. This confusion has been cleared up (!) in a u-turn by the Minister, who stated "that all new cars registered from 1 July 2008 will have their motor tax rate based on the CO2 emissions level. The new CO2 based system will not apply to the import of pre 2008 cars. New cars registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will initially have their motor tax charged on the basis of the existing engine size (c.c.) system. However, a low CO2 emitting new car registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will have its motor tax switched to the lower CO2 based motor tax rate on first renewal of motor tax post 1 July 2008, when the new CO2 based system commences. New cars which are registered in the first 6 months of 2008 whose tax would be more under the new CO2 based system will continue to pay motortax on the basis of engine size" Over here, we're all delighted with that clarification - if only we could understand it.

The new regime is

Band A, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of under 120grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €100.

Band B, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 121 and 140 grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €150.

Band C, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 141 and 155grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of € 290.

Band D, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 156 and 170 grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €430.

Band E, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 171 and 190grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of € 600.

Band F, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 191 and 225 grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €1,000.

Band G, the top band – motor tax rate of €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per kilometre.

I appreciate what you are saying but T180 RFL is going up by nigh on 60% and our lot are using it as an excuse to reduce carbon footprint. Oh yeh we have to pay a similar tax on flying when the rest of the world doesn't etc etc. Its just another tax for the working man.

Irish Motor tax now

The new regime is

I appreciate what you are saying but T180 RFL is going up by nigh on 60% and our lot are using it as an excuse to reduce carbon footprint. Oh yeh we have to pay a similar tax on flying when the rest of the world doesn't etc etc. Its just another tax for the working man.

You have to laugh.I read today that England's few remaining peat bogs emit more Co2 than all the planes flying in and out of the country put together.So mother nature is a bigger polluter than the aviation industry!!! The whole thing is a load of bo...cks.. I remember in the forties and fifties every public building in Liverpool was black as hell covered with the emissions from domestic coal burning fires and heavy industry..Whatever happened to smog? The air is ten times cleaner than it was then so what is this carbon foorprint all about??

Would have to agree there Jock, there is no conclusive scientific proof of "global warming". They still cant prove

thats its not a naturally occuring climate change or that it hasn't happened in the past. I live in Motherwell, FFS it

had the biggest steel plant in europe till maggie shut it down. When it was going, if you could see the sky there was

probably a breakdown in the plant. In fact the guys at work call me phosphur lungs :rolleyes:

Irish Motor tax now

The new regime is

forgive me if i am talking b****x but i thought the tax was based on emissions, the T180 with its D Cat is lower than a 140 rav and exactly the same size engine,so why is it more? To add more confusion I drive a london type taxi (black cab) for a living the latest model of which has a 2.5 chrysler VM engine

in. the auto version of this will be £405 next year and the manual £100 less approx. To depress us all even further had a BP exec in my cab last week, tells me oil prices are predicted to rise to $140 a barrel in the next 18 months,iam currently putting £140 of fuel a week in my cab :(

You're right of course! It's all relative and it does seem to be an excuse to raise taxes.

200px-Gordon_Brown_2005_IMF_close.jpgalistairdarling_small.jpg

"spend it while you can because we are going to scr ew you for the lot"

Meanwhile, in honour of St Patrick's Day on Monday, Irish Govt ministers display a different sort of green credential - the shamrock - which has to be conveyed to far off places. We, the great Irish taxpayer, will pick up the carbon neutralising costs...

Green Ministers

My road tax is due this month and I,ve just got the reminder from the DOT over here on the island and it,s £150 for 1 year

Clare

My road tax is due this month and I,ve just got the reminder from the DOT over here on the island and it,s £150 for 1 year

Clare

We'll let you off with that Clare for having expensive servicing and fuel!

Cheers Anchorman!!!!

Clare

(diesel now £1.17 per ltr- bring on the Urbancruiser)

• 1 month later...

140 diesel

Currently - £165

2009/10 - £205

2010/11 - £210

T180

Currently - £165

2009/10 - £260

2010/11 - £270

Currently - £205

2009/10 - £300

2009/10 - £310

Just read this info below which is interesting - especially with the hike in RFL for the first year of registration ...

If you agree to purchase a car with an RFL on it then the whole price is attributable to the purchase of the car, even if the vendor itemizes them out separately on the invoice. The total is therefore taxable for VAT.

However, if you agree to purchase a car that doesn't have an RFL and ask for the vendor to purchase one on your behalf then they can invoice that to you without VAT.

So anyone buying a new car - or even a used one needs to buy the car without RFL and then write a cheque for the RFL seperately and tell the dealer to buy it for you.

I wonder how long it will take to close that loop hole?

If they do, then I guess best to buy car without RFL at all and buy yourself - taxes on taxes on taxes :angry:

If they do, then I guess best to buy car without RFL at all and buy yourself - taxes on taxes on taxes :angry:

Then if you pop your clogs and you leave it to somebody they will get taxed on it after you have paid tax on top of tax!!!!

Good int' it?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links