Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Car Running In

Ian in Holland

Do new cars need running in anymore? My 2.2 D4D has a few hundred Km's on the clock; what's the advice on how to treat the engine?

I was surprised to hear that the first service (including oil change) comes at 15,000Km's. I still had it in my mind that an oil change was done after 1,000Km's or so to get rid of metallic particles resulting from the engine bearings etc bedding in - are those days gone? Have Toyota already run the engine in for me?

The dealer tells me the engine presently contains "special, expensive running-in oil". Is this so?

Thanks,

Ian

Do new cars need running in anymore? My 2.2 D4D has a few hundred Km's on the clock; what's the advice on how to treat the engine?

I was surprised to hear that the first service (including oil change) comes at 15,000Km's. I still had it in my mind that an oil change was done after 1,000Km's or so to get rid of metallic particles resulting from the engine bearings etc bedding in - are those days gone? Have Toyota already run the engine in for me?

The dealer tells me the engine presently contains "special, expensive running-in oil". Is this so?

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian - I was told the same in 2003 when I got my first Avensis. The old "first service" has long disappeared and I think for a few years it was just an opportunity for the owner to get jobs fixed that hadn't been spotted on the PDI.

I always take it pretty steady for the first 1-2k miles in a new car but really it's just habit from years back when lumps might be gouged off the pistons or something. :D Since the early 80s I've had a mix of carefully treated new cars and ex-demos that certainly wouldn't have been run in, and to be honest I've noticed no difference between them at all in the way they run after 5-10k miles.

Thanks Desmond,

That's what I was thinking; the dealer had a 19,000Km 2.2 D4D which I test drove. This car has been their demo from new, and gets taken home by salesmen, mechanics etc plus driven by potential customers who want to "see what it'll do". It's probably been everyone's !Removed! from new, and yet it drives beautifully. Like you said, no mechanical meltdown.

Maybe running in went out with indicator arms and vacuum-powered windscreen wipers... :unsure:

Ian

Do new cars need running in anymore?

Yes, I think it is true about the oil, which is why they have done away with the first service. Apparently it is a very bad move to have an earlier first service as you are doing away with the special oil.

Don't know if I can link to another motoring site, so will just say that honestjohn (google it) has an FAQ on running in diesel engines - FAQ no.15. I followed that advice when my car was new.

I dont think... their is any such thing as special oil ;)

It may have adctives to make it "longer life" ... :P

as for bedding the car in...

Gental driving..

Once it is warm dont be scared..

It is always bad for an engine to be too slowly bedded in,

or kept at a static speed.

Use the rev range.. as you do more miles.. go alittle futher up the rev range.

most of my work colleagues, who took the company car option, have a new car then rag it for 3 years then give it back. they don't seem to have problems, at least not ones within 3 years.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links