Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Won't Start

fammerr

I own a 54reg Avensis D4D and have only done 45k. I was driving to London from Milton Keynes when I smelt something like something just burnt and immidiately parked to check. Engine still running, I opened the bonnet to see If I can identify where the smell came from but found nothing although could still percieve the smell. I switched off the ignition and tried to re-start and the car would not re-start. The dashboard light and sat. nav came on but the warming light did not come on and there is no click when I turn the ignition. I got it recovered back home and changed the starter motor as that was what the RAC guy said might be the problem but the situatuion remains the same. Any suggestions

If there's not even a click then it's most unlikely to be starter motor in my experience.

Also, I'd expect there to be quite a few lights on before you start the engine; Check your handbook.

If not all the appropriate lights on that would suggest to me either a fuse has blown (perhaps as a symptom of some other problem) or perhaps an ignition switch fault. If a fuse has blown then maybe it was a dodgy fuse or maybe it was protecting a shorted circuit or component somewhere.

I'd start there, and if you can prove those are not the fault, then perhaps it's a wiring problem (rare and sometimes difficult to trace) or either an ECU problem or an instrument panel problem.

I think you may need a wiring diagram and a lot of knowledge to tackle this. Might be time to take it to an expert.

If there's not even a click then it's most unlikely to be starter motor in my experience.

Also, I'd expect there to be quite a few lights on before you start the engine; Check your handbook.

If not all the appropriate lights on that would suggest to me either a fuse has blown (perhaps as a symptom of some other problem) or perhaps an ignition switch fault. If a fuse has blown then maybe it was a dodgy fuse or maybe it was protecting a shorted circuit or component somewhere.

I'd start there, and if you can prove those are not the fault, then perhaps it's a wiring problem (rare and sometimes difficult to trace) or either an ECU problem or an instrument panel problem.

I think you may need a wiring diagram and a lot of knowledge to tackle this. Might be time to take it to an expert.

Thanks T600

Would you know how I can lay my hands on a workshop manual for 54 reg Avensis D4D?

Thanks T600

Would you know how I can lay my hands on a workshop manual for 54 reg Avensis D4D?

I dont think their is a workshop manual for the d4d.

Please describe your problem is more detail.

Ie What lights are on the dash. what dash lights have not lit up

When you try to crank it do the lights dim on the dash.

Things like that

I think you may have killed your relay (main)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links