Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Usb Connection

whittaker

I think this would be available from Tomtom

This was taken from the Tomtom site

TomTom TOYOTA (TNS400)

Audio features and functions

iPod®: a dedicated connection cable to link an iPod® with the unit can be purchased as an optional accessory. It allows full control over iPod controls and functions directly from the TomTom TOYOTA (TNS400)

Plays MP3 and WMA files on CD and CD-R/RW

Plays MP3 files on USB memory devices

Full-control iPod® operation using optional iPod cable

Portable music player is able to be connected via the optional AUX cable

40Wx4ch power amp, 3-band equalizer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sales King

• nellyp

• Red Yaris 54

• whittaker

This Ipod connection debate has caused confusion between myself, my collegues and customers alike. I imagine it probably has within other dealers too.

Toyota make no mention that an IPOD will not work without having to buy an additional cable. The only place that i know it states you need an addtional cable is in the TOM TOM handbook which you wouldnt normally get to read until after you have bought the car.

Actually Toyota DO mention that an Ipod will not work without a dedicated lead, which is available seperately. This is not mentioned in the TOM TOM handbook. It is stated in the official TOYOTA handbook for the TNS 400 stereo. I know, I have read it!!

Also, just to disagree with you regarding the unit being 'fantastic', I can honestly say it isn't! It is pants!

Four days after picking up my SR the TOM TOM failed, got a new SD card, it was fine again. Then last week while trying to eject a CD the stereo just packed in totally, with the front panel still slid up. None of the buttons would work and the panel would not slide back into place and the cd would not eject.

After taking the car back to the dealership I was told they would order me a new stereo so I left the car with them. A couple of days later they rang me to say that Toyota had modified the design of the stereo because of all the problems with the panel and TOM TOM unit so I am now waiting for one of the new ones.

So, I think we can agree that the unit isn't 'fantastic' if Toyota have had to modify it already just 6 weeks after it's launch!!!!

I thought that cable would be the right one so I contacted TOM TOM. Unfortunately that cable is designed to connect into a stand alone TOM TOM unit which has the socket on the back of the unit. When the TOM TOM is clipped into the TNS 400 head unit there is no access to the back.

I think alot of the confusion is due to the USB socket on the front of the unit. I think that because that is there everyone (including myself) assumed that it would just be a case of connecting the ipod via that. It looks like it may have to be connected via the back of the unit which would obviously be a dealer fitted thing.

The dealer is looking into what to do but things might be different depending on the modifications that TOYOTA have made to the head unit. They might have just tweeked it or or completely redesigned it!

I think this would be available from Tomtom

This was taken from the Tomtom site

TomTom TOYOTA (TNS400)

Audio features and functions

iPod®: a dedicated connection cable to link an iPod® with the unit can be purchased as an optional accessory. It allows full control over iPod controls and functions directly from the TomTom

This is the same lead I have just been talking about, this lead goes into the back of the stereo, which involves pulling half the dash out, its not a lead that will plug into the front of the unit , as i keep saying.

You appear to bore very easily..................................so much for professsionalism. :rolleyes:

Unfortunatly for your customer you have not solved her problem.

I would have thought that the might of the Toyota organisation at dealer or national level could have come up with a solution to her problem.

Imagine the kudos that your organisation (and yourself) would have gained if you had helped your customer rather than telling her a solution to her problem was not available.

One satisfied customer will gain you and your organisation a lot more customers, wheras a dissatisfied customer will lose you much more than you your Dealer Principle would find acceptable.

A positive approach to your customers would be a good starting point. :thumbsup:

I think when i write my post at 1am I am entitled to be bored.

We more than solved her problem, she wanted a lead that plugs into the front USB socket because she didnt want to pay the cost of hardwiring a cable into the back. When the only cable available arrived, I had it wired up anyway because i knew how much she wanted her IPOD to work. I didnt charge the customer for fitting because she wasnt happy it wasnt the lead she wanted, even though i had said many times that i cant supply the lead she wants because Toyota dont have it.

We did come up with a solution, which was to pay to have it hardwired, which she didnt want to pay for but in the end she got anyway. What is the point of promising a solution of a cable that plugs into the front USB socket when the thing dont exist!

WHy do you keep going on about this.

Actually Toyota DO mention that an Ipod will not work without a dedicated lead, which is available seperately. This is not mentioned in the TOM TOM handbook. It is stated in the official TOYOTA handbook for the TNS 400 stereo. I know, I have read it!!

Also, just to disagree with you regarding the unit being 'fantastic', I can honestly say it isn't! It is pants!

Four days after picking up my SR the TOM TOM failed, got a new SD card, it was fine again. Then last week while trying to eject a CD the stereo just packed in totally, with the front panel still slid up. None of the buttons would work and the panel would not slide back into place and the cd would not eject.

After taking the car back to the dealership I was told they would order me a new stereo so I left the car with them. A couple of days later they rang me to say that Toyota had modified the design of the stereo because of all the problems with the panel and TOM TOM unit so I am now waiting for one of the new ones.

So, I think we can agree that the unit isn't 'fantastic' if Toyota have had to modify it already just 6 weeks after it's launch!!!!

Like i said, Toyota do not make it clear in the Yaris brochure that an IPOD wont work without buying a compatible cable. To differentiate between the TOMTOM Handbook and Toyota Handbook for the TNS 400 stereo is a bit pedantic. I have also read the handbook, thats why i said the only place it says you need a cable is in the handbook!

And I dont think we can agree that the unit isnt fantastic just because the one in your car didnt work.

WHy do you keep going on about this.

To get the full story out of you......................which we now appear to have.....................unless of course you know differently ;)

How much easier it would have been if you had told us the full story about the satisfactory outcome for your customer in the first place and not made such a drama about it :rolleyes:

Well done...................you might just make salesman of the month yet, but not from my business ;)

I thought that cable would be the right one so I contacted TOM TOM. Unfortunately that cable is designed to connect into a stand alone TOM TOM unit which has the socket on the back of the unit. When the TOM TOM is clipped into the TNS 400 head unit there is no access to the back.

I think alot of the confusion is due to the USB socket on the front of the unit. I think that because that is there everyone (including myself) assumed that it would just be a case of connecting the ipod via that. It looks like it may have to be connected via the back of the unit which would obviously be a dealer fitted thing.

The dealer is looking into what to do but things might be different depending on the modifications that TOYOTA have made to the head unit. They might have just tweeked it or or completely redesigned it!

Finally it looks like the penny has dropped. What do you mean everyone assumed that it would be a case of connecting your IPOD to the the USB socket. You mean everyone but me and my parts department and TGB and TOMTOM.

You say "It looks like it may have to be connected via the back of the unit which would obviously be a dealer fitted thing."

Correct me if I am wrong, isnt that what I have just been saying.

Finally it looks like the penny has dropped. What do you mean everyone assumed that it would be a case of connecting your IPOD to the the USB socket. You mean everyone but me and my parts department and TGB and TOMTOM.

You say "It looks like it may have to be connected via the back of the unit which would obviously be a dealer fitted thing."

Correct me if I am wrong, isnt that what I have just been saying.

Excuse me but I certainly wasn't being pedantic regrding the handbooks. The TOMTOM book you mentioned is a dedicated handbook just for the TOMTOM sat nav. The Toyota manual I mentioned is the official handbook from Toyota with all the instructions for the TNS 400 head unit. They are 2 seperate entirely different handbooks so how am I being pedantic for pointing that out?? The TNS 400 book just says that a cable is required, not whether it fits the front of the unit or the back.

Also, please don't insult my intelligence by suggesting the 'penny has just dropped' thanks to your input and information, I found out just after I got the car (6 weeks ago) that a cable to connect into the USB didn't exist. This has mearly been the topic of conversation on a forum, you know, where thoughts and opinions are expressed!! I thought the whole point was to join in with the forum topics, not to be insulted by fellow members.

By 'everyone' I meant the members of this forum who have discussed it and also your customer who believed the same thing.

My final point is regarding the unit not being 'fantastic'. Yes, that is my opinion and I'm entitled to it and I have based my comment not only on my experience with it but also on the fact that Toyota have seen fit to modify a stereo unit which was only launched onto the market on 1st May 2008 because of problems with it. I hardly think they would go to all the trouble if it was just mine that was faulty do you?? But there again you'll probably know better! :rolleyes:

With that I will take my leave, you seem to be rather sensitive regrding this issue judging by your many posts! :yahoo:

Hi all

Im due to pick up a Yaris SR next week which comes with the tomom satnav/CD/MP3 player.

does the USB port allow you to connect an ipod, with a standard usb cable that you use for your PC?

If not does anyone know what it is used for?

thanks in advance.

Just received the wife's Yaris SR with TomTom thingymajig and, yes, her iPod Nano works on the USB port with just its own normal charging cable. Takes some time to actualy read all the tracks in mind. Suppose this might be faster if there was a pukka iPod interface fitted. Which I understand is silly money to buy so not too fussed really.

Cheers

Neil

I've just ordered my 1.4 d4d SR. Pick it up in June. How do you find the car, especially the engine?

Paul

Sorry, took a while to get this out of the wife "it's fine, very nippy". She only had trouble starting it once - 'spose that comes from having short legs (you need to depress the clutch pedal fully to start it).

Cheers

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my Yaris SR 1.4D MMT for a week now and very pleased,in reply to comments about connecting your ipods to the usb inlet I have to say that mine works fine and I'm using the download/charge usb cable which is standard with all ipods, i suggest those of you who are having problems trying to get them to work try alittle bit harder, I assure you it does work.

Hi People,

I took delivery of my black Yaris SR 5 weeks ago and on the whole I agree the car is superb, much better than the 55 plate Yaris is replced, however must add a note of caution to new owners, make sure you have the upgraded tomtom fitted to your car before you take delivery or you may end up with software problems. Our car has now been back to the dealer twice and we are on our second SD card.

Been told there are whispers through the dealer network that a recall is iminant due to high number of unit failures.

As for connecting an MP3 Player - the solution is simple, I have a Sony walkman MP3 player and this connects (when the tomtom is working) direct to the cars sterio through the USB port on the dash with no hassle - simple plug and play.

You will hit compatability issues if you try to play anything but MP3 format files.

The walkman works like an external drive on a PC, you can scroll through your albums / playlists on the tomtom screen and play back is very good!

Bought the connection lead van be beough through the sony web site for under £10.

Hope this helps some of you, new owners hope you enjoy your new Yaris

Chris32

• 1 month later...
Hi all

Im due to pick up a Yaris SR next week which comes with the tomom satnav/CD/MP3 player.

does the USB port allow you to connect an ipod, with a standard usb cable that you use for your PC?

thanks in advance.

YES YOU CAN USE YOUR STANDARD USB LEAD WHICH CAME WITH YOUR IPOD,MINE WORKS FINE.

Hi all

thanks in advance.

YES YOU CAN USE YOUR STANDARD USB LEAD WHICH CAME WITH YOUR IPOD,MINE WORKS FINE.

Unfortunately the standard cable which comes with your ipod did not work for me, mainly because I have around 6000 songs on my ipod and at the speed it was loading up it would have taken about 2 hours to be ready to play through the usb port. I now have the dedicated cable fitted into the rear of the stereo and it works perfectly. It also allows complete control of all the ipod functions through your stereo and steering wheel controls too.

This Ipod connection debate has caused confusion between myself, my collegues and customers alike. I imagine it probably has within other dealers too.

Toyota make no mention that an IPOD will not work without having to buy an additional cable. The only place that i know it states you need an addtional cable is in the TOM TOM handbook which you wouldnt normally get to read until after you have bought the car.

The problem then starts of finding the neccesary cable. My parts department didnt even know there was a cable compatible with the TOMTOM unit, and was adamant there isnt one and wont be one and customers will probably have to buy one from some audio store. My customer was happy with just a cable joining their IPOD to the USB connection at the front of the TOMTOM, but alas my parts department could not help.

It took my customer contacting their local dealership - (they bought a car from me, even though I am in another county to where they live, so I suppose our Sales process must be better than at their local dealers, shame our parts department wasn't) - to be told their is a cable. I ring that other dealer, get the part number for what i am being told is just a simple cable that plugs into the USB socket at the FRONT of the TOMTOM. I order that part from my parts department, only to find 2 days later a technician with a 4 foot or so long cable in his hand asking me where is the car that he needs to fit the IPOD cable too. A 4 FOOT lead that was only supposed to be a short lead from an IPOD to the socket at the FRONT, which would have just been the cost of the lead @ £62 inc VAT with no fitting costs. Unless someone can tell me different, the only lead is one that is hardwired into the back of the unit at a cost of 1.3 hours labour with a labour rate of £105 per hour.

What made matters worse though, is that when my customer came to pick her car up, the system picked the ipod up and it worked beutifully. Fantastic, money well spent, until it decided to pack up while i am still handing the car over. So the whole thing was grief just for one cable, why cant they make these things more easier!! customer still has to come back to get it fixed and she lives about an hour away, more grief too come no doubt.

My new Yaris has the tom tom sat nav and I connect my i pod , no probs whatsover ,with my i pod white cable to the usb port upfront and it works a treat!!

• 1 month later...
As for connecting an MP3 Player - the solution is simple, I have a Sony walkman MP3 player and this connects (when the tomtom is working) direct to the cars sterio through the USB port on the dash with no hassle - simple plug and play.

Chris32

I also have a Sony Walkman Mp3 player and I've connected it to the USB port. After it loads all the songs I can select what song/album/playlist I want to listen to, but music never comes through the Speakers. I tried using a thumb drive as well and it does the exact same thing. Any ideas?

All I can do is choose Preferences (consisting of "Repeat Song" or "Shuffle"), the safely remove button, or "Select" which only picks what song I want to play but never starts playing them. :(

I also noticed you said "when the TOMTOM is working". Have you had to bring yours in too? I've had to bring it to Toyota twice already because it stops working.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

The cable needed to work a ipod correctly is available from toyota the part number is PZ422-00332-00 . The cost is around £50.

IT is possible to use the ipods usb cable but the files need to be stored in a certian way.

there is not a recall on the unit, and they should not be replaced, but there is a modified sd card and a new flash for the units

• 3 weeks later...

Right then, Ive just read all off this thread and i am a little confused, can someone who know the definative answer please comment on these questions as i pick up my new Sr next wednesday:-

1. Does the standard IPOD lead work if i plug it into the USB plug on the front of the unit? I have a IPOD Video (prev gen) 30gb and it is usually full of music, If it does work, do you have full control of the IPOD from the head unit itself, how long does it take to boot up, and does it charge?

2. How easy is the dedicated lead to fit (by this i mean the lead that connects to the bac.k of the head unit)? Are we talking an hour with tools that i am likely to have? If anyone has actually fitted one can you let me know how difficult it is...

Cheers

• 12 years later...

MK2 yaris here.

When I connect my USB stick ( Fat32 formatted ) it recognises it, processes all the music, but then doesn't play anything even though it lists the song it's supposed to be playing. I click on shuffle songs, and nothing happens. If I press anything it just ejects the USB device and goes back to the radio.. any idea ?

It's a " TNS400 "

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links