Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Usb Connection

whittaker

Hi all

Im due to pick up a Yaris SR next week which comes with the tomom satnav/CD/MP3 player.

does the USB port allow you to connect an ipod, with a standard usb cable that you use for your PC?

If not does anyone know what it is used for?

thanks in advance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sales King

• nellyp

• Red Yaris 54

• whittaker

Hey there!

Just picked my SR up this afternoon and I LOVE it!!

To answer your question, yes you can connect an ipod using the usb socket but no, the standard usb cable that comes with your ipod doesn't work. I had assumed it did but when I connected it nothing happened.

I have read the Toyota TNS400 (the stereo) handbook and under the ipod section it says -

"An ipod can be connected to the main unit using an optional dedicated connection cable, allowing you to listen to ipod music files and operate some ipod functions from the main unit".

I've trawled the net tonight but can't find anything so far so I'm going to call in at the dealership tomorrow to ask about it.

When I get any info I'll let you know.

Hope you enjoy your SR!

The MP3 bit is actually referring to the CD player which will play MP3 CD's and WMA CD's.

You can get a stereo jack on some Yaris, and a iPod dock connector from Toyota.

Hope this clears this up.

No he has the new Tom Tom unit. It dont have a CD player. It has a Tom Tom removable sat nav and a radio and a mp3 player. Only seen one briefly today myself. Don`t know any more about it.

No he has the new Tom Tom unit. It dont have a CD player. It has a Tom Tom removable sat nav and a radio and a mp3 player. Only seen one briefly today myself. Don`t know any more about it.

thanks for all your responses-yes it is the tom tom sat nav stereo. quoting from the brochure it says 'the integrated system uncludes USB connection and CD player with the capability to play MP3 and WMA files.

ive goto admit i cant see where the CD's go from the pictures, but it clearly refers to a CD player a couple of times?

hopefully i can get hold of a suitable cable especially if it doesnt play CD's :)

thanks for all your responses-yes it is the tom tom sat nav stereo. quoting from the brochure it says 'the integrated system uncludes USB connection and CD player with the capability to play MP3 and WMA files.

ive goto admit i cant see where the CD's go from the pictures, but it clearly refers to a CD player a couple of times?

hopefully i can get hold of a suitable cable especially if it doesnt play CD's :)

Hi Whittaker,

There is indeed a cd player but you can't see it from the front of the unit. To access the CD slot you press o button on the unti and the whole front panel flips down. The cd goes into a slot that is behind the front panel and when you put one in the front panel slides back into place automatically. It's ver clever and flashy!

No news on the cable yet, the dealer is checking it out for me.

Hi Whittaker,

There is indeed a cd player but you can't see it from the front of the unit. To access the CD slot you press o button on the unti and the whole front panel flips down. The cd goes into a slot that is behind the front panel and when you put one in the front panel slides back into place automatically. It's ver clever and flashy!

No news on the cable yet, the dealer is checking it out for me.

thanks nellyp! very helpful.

if you find out about the cable please let me know. in the book it mentions an ipod intergration kit, but everything i can find online seems to refer to those ones which fit the rear of a stereo and into the glove box. The prices ive seen are £150 which seems alittle steep, but as i mentioned i dont think thats specifically what i need if we already have the usb connection?

thanks

thanks nellyp! very helpful.

if you find out about the cable please let me know. in the book it mentions an ipod intergration kit, but everything i can find online seems to refer to those ones which fit the rear of a stereo and into the glove box. The prices ive seen are £150 which seems alittle steep, but as i mentioned i dont think thats specifically what i need if we already have the usb connection?

thanks

Hi,

I thought then same as you. As there is a usb socket on the front of the unit I assumed that the ipod charger cable would work but it doesn't. In the Toyota stereo handbook it says about the dedicated cable so I assume it must be a dealer supply item. I emailed TOMTOM but they said it would be the ipod cable they supply BUT that one connects into the back of the TOMTOM unit. Ok if you have a stand alone TOMTOM but no good for ours. The only socket on the front of the unit is the usb one so it must be that.

I would ask your dealer about it when you pick the car up, maybe between us we can get it sorted out!!

I'm really, really pleased with my SR, I've done 240 miles since I picked it up on Thursday and it's doing 43 MPG!!!!!

Hi,

I thought then same as you. As there is a usb socket on the front of the unit I assumed that the ipod charger cable would work but it doesn't. In the Toyota stereo handbook it says about the dedicated cable so I assume it must be a dealer supply item. I emailed TOMTOM but they said it would be the ipod cable they supply BUT that one connects into the back of the TOMTOM unit. Ok if you have a stand alone TOMTOM but no good for ours. The only socket on the front of the unit is the usb one so it must be that.

I would ask your dealer about it when you pick the car up, maybe between us we can get it sorted out!!

I'm really, really pleased with my SR, I've done 240 miles since I picked it up on Thursday and it's doing 43 MPG!!!!!

hi, picked the car up today, i mentioned the ipod connection but the dealer wasnt sure, he seemed to think it was the rear connection kit, but that usb connection must surely be for the ipod? ive seen pictures of a normal usb flash drive plugged in, so whether i just buy a cheap flash drive and put music on that?

one thing i noticed was the clutch had to be pressed to start the engine-i hadnt noticed that before!!??

hi, picked the car up today, i mentioned the ipod connection but the dealer wasnt sure, he seemed to think it was the rear connection kit, but that usb connection must surely be for the ipod? ive seen pictures of a normal usb flash drive plugged in, so whether i just buy a cheap flash drive and put music on that?

one thing i noticed was the clutch had to be pressed to start the engine-i hadnt noticed that before!!??

Hi Whittaker,

Not sure how relevent this is but when I've been looking at Alpine headunits some have USB connection and/or iPod connectivity. Some of the instructions I've downloaded state that the USB connection is for a standard USB flash drive, or memory, only. I don't think they are capable of reading from or controlling devices such as iPods or in my case a PSP. I'm pretty certain headunits require additional software to recognise specific devices (such as via an iPod connection kit to connect to an iPod) whereas a USB flash drive is just a container for data in much the same way as a CD-R with mp3's on would be.

Sorry if this isn't of much help or a very good explanation.

I have the 08' Urban Runner which also has the TomTom GPS and Audio system. I called the dealer to see what the cost of the"Dedicated Ipod Control Cable" was. It is $246.00!!! That is insane for a cable. I had bought this vehicle under the assumtion that the Ipod would be plug and play.

I have the 08' Urban Runner which also has the TomTom GPS and Audio system. I called the dealer to see what the cost of the"Dedicated Ipod Control Cable" was. It is $246.00!!! That is insane for a cable. I had bought this vehicle under the assumtion that the Ipod would be plug and play.

Hi there,

I have just purchased an australian model yaris YRX 1.5 auto & have also purchased the navigation kit made by eclipse & tom tom. I cannot get any help in AU so I thought I would ask here. This unit seems to be the same unit you are talking about & I was wondering if it was worth having or not. The blue tooth function & also the tom tom gps.

My current phone blackberry curve 8310 is not listed as being compatible but any of the reviews I have read have mentioned pairing a phone with the blue tooth & the phone model they used was not listed anyway. I heard the mic in the unit is not real good.

Can anyone give me some feed back on whether is unit is worth it or not.

Hi there,

I have just purchased an australian model yaris YRX 1.5 auto & have also purchased the navigation kit made by eclipse & tom tom. I cannot get any help in AU so I thought I would ask here. This unit seems to be the same unit you are talking about & I was wondering if it was worth having or not. The blue tooth function & also the tom tom gps.

My current phone blackberry curve 8310 is not listed as being compatible but any of the reviews I have read have mentioned pairing a phone with the blue tooth & the phone model they used was not listed anyway. I heard the mic in the unit is not real good.

I think the "dedicated Ipod control cable" is closer to £246 here :(

I've just picked up a Yaris 1.3 SR. Assuming it's the same Tom Tom unit, I find the phone integration excellent - took about three button presses on the Tom Tom to sync the phone via bluetooth, and now it autodetects it when I get in the car. I don't even know what model my phone is (some cheap Motorola thing) but no problems connecting. Audio quality is fine, and I've found that the person I'm talking to has no problem hearing me when i'm doing 70 on the motorway so the microphone isn't too bad.

Hi there,

I think the "dedicated Ipod control cable" is closer to £246 here :(

I've just picked up a Yaris 1.3 SR. Assuming it's the same Tom Tom unit, I find the phone integration excellent - took about three button presses on the Tom Tom to sync the phone via bluetooth, and now it autodetects it when I get in the car. I don't even know what model my phone is (some cheap Motorola thing) but no problems connecting. Audio quality is fine, and I've found that the person I'm talking to has no problem hearing me when i'm doing 70 on the motorway so the microphone isn't too bad.

thanks for ythe reply,

I rang tom tom & they reakon only the phones listed on their web site work & I would not be able to use my blackberry for hands free. I only selected the sports model as it had built in blue tooth & since there was an option for the navigation system I thought I would spend the extra. tom tom list the blackberry pearl working with other tom tom models seems to me the models listed by tom tom are only old models.

You didn't mention if you were happy with the system or not.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

Im due to pick up a Yaris SR next week which comes with the tomom satnav/CD/MP3 player.

does the USB port allow you to connect an ipod, with a standard usb cable that you use for your PC?

thanks in advance.

Just received the wife's Yaris SR with TomTom thingymajig and, yes, her iPod Nano works on the USB port with just its own normal charging cable. Takes some time to actualy read all the tracks in mind. Suppose this might be faster if there was a pukka iPod interface fitted. Which I understand is silly money to buy so not too fussed really.

Cheers

Neil

Hi all

thanks in advance.

Just received the wife's Yaris SR with TomTom thingymajig and, yes, her iPod Nano works on the USB port with just its own normal charging cable. Takes some time to actualy read all the tracks in mind. Suppose this might be faster if there was a pukka iPod interface fitted. Which I understand is silly money to buy so not too fussed really.

Cheers

Neil

Hi all

thanks in advance.

Cheers

Neil

I've just ordered my 1.4 d4d SR. Pick it up in June. How do you find the car, especially the engine?

Paul

Hi all

thanks in advance.

Hi went to my local dealer to get the i-pod integration kit fitted only to find out sr's not compatible it seem's that it's got it's own lead which is costs about £50 and still has to be dealer fitted even though their computer say's you can fit it yourself

This Ipod connection debate has caused confusion between myself, my collegues and customers alike. I imagine it probably has within other dealers too.

Toyota make no mention that an IPOD will not work without having to buy an additional cable. The only place that i know it states you need an addtional cable is in the TOM TOM handbook which you wouldnt normally get to read until after you have bought the car.

The problem then starts of finding the neccesary cable. My parts department didnt even know there was a cable compatible with the TOMTOM unit, and was adamant there isnt one and wont be one and customers will probably have to buy one from some audio store. My customer was happy with just a cable joining their IPOD to the USB connection at the front of the TOMTOM, but alas my parts department could not help.

It took my customer contacting their local dealership - (they bought a car from me, even though I am in another county to where they live, so I suppose our Sales process must be better than at their local dealers, shame our parts department wasn't) - to be told their is a cable. I ring that other dealer, get the part number for what i am being told is just a simple cable that plugs into the USB socket at the FRONT of the TOMTOM. I order that part from my parts department, only to find 2 days later a technician with a 4 foot or so long cable in his hand asking me where is the car that he needs to fit the IPOD cable too. A 4 FOOT lead that was only supposed to be a short lead from an IPOD to the socket at the FRONT, which would have just been the cost of the lead @ £62 inc VAT with no fitting costs. Unless someone can tell me different, the only lead is one that is hardwired into the back of the unit at a cost of 1.3 hours labour with a labour rate of £105 per hour.

What made matters worse though, is that when my customer came to pick her car up, the system picked the ipod up and it worked beutifully. Fantastic, money well spent, until it decided to pack up while i am still handing the car over. So the whole thing was grief just for one cable, why cant they make these things more easier!! customer still has to come back to get it fixed and she lives about an hour away, more grief too come no doubt.

This Ipod connection debate has caused confusion between myself, my collegues and customers alike. I imagine it probably has within other dealers too.

Toyota make no mention that an IPOD will not work without having to buy an additional cable. The only place that i know it states you need an addtional cable is in the TOM TOM handbook which you wouldnt normally get to read until after you have bought the car.

The problem then starts of finding the neccesary cable. My parts department didnt even know there was a cable compatible with the TOMTOM unit, and was adamant there isnt one and wont be one and customers will probably have to buy one from some audio store. My customer was happy with just a cable joining their IPOD to the USB connection at the front of the TOMTOM, but alas my parts department could not help.

It took my customer contacting their local dealership - (they bought a car from me, even though I am in another county to where they live, so I suppose our Sales process must be better than at their local dealers, shame our parts department wasn't) - to be told their is a cable. I ring that other dealer, get the part number for what i am being told is just a simple cable that plugs into the USB socket at the FRONT of the TOMTOM. I order that part from my parts department, only to find 2 days later a technician with a 4 foot or so long cable in his hand asking me where is the car that he needs to fit the IPOD cable too. A 4 FOOT lead that was only supposed to be a short lead from an IPOD to the socket at the FRONT, which would have just been the cost of the lead @ £62 inc VAT with no fitting costs. Unless someone can tell me different, the only lead is one that is hardwired into the back of the unit at a cost of 1.3 hours labour with a labour rate of £105 per hour.

What made matters worse though, is that when my customer came to pick her car up, the system picked the ipod up and it worked beutifully. Fantastic, money well spent, until it decided to pack up while i am still handing the car over. So the whole thing was grief just for one cable, why cant they make these things more easier!! customer still has to come back to get it fixed and she lives about an hour away, more grief too come no doubt.

Its about time that you , your parts department and Toyota got your act together.

Surely the car was designed to accomodate the required connections..................It really is not rocket science....................................but then Toyota to the best of my knowledge do not sell rockets.

My point is Toyota sell cars,.................................so why cannot they and their dealers sort out basic in car entertainment connections.

Maybe not ALL dealerships are as disorganised as yours Sales King :rolleyes:

Its about time that you , your parts department and Toyota got your act together.

Surely the car was designed to accomodate the required connections..................It really is not rocket science....................................but then Toyota to the best of my knowledge do not sell rockets.

My point is Toyota sell cars,.................................so why cannot they and their dealers sort out basic in car entertainment connections.

Maybe not ALL dealerships are as disorganised as yours Sales King :rolleyes:

blimey, you got a bee in your bonnet, its not the dealerships fault. we can only advise and offer what TOYOTA manufacture and supply. The SAT NAV unit in the YARIS SR is a fantastic bit of kit. There isnt another car in the class that has a similar system fitted as standard. The touchscreen is great, albeit a little bit small, the bluetooth connection works a treat and you can even play music by plugging a memory stick in the USB socket. What other small car gives you all that as standard!!

It is not unreasonable to have to expect to pay additional money to have an IPOD connection.

The fact is, the customer wanted a lead that plugs into the FRONT of the TOM TOM unit, I told the customer their is no such lead because thats what our very organised and knowledgeable parts department told me. It was another franchise that told me and my customer their is such a lead and even supplied me with the part number. That part number turned out to be a 4 FOOT lead that doesnt plug into the front of the TOMTOM.

So i cant see how you could call my dealership disorganised. The fact it is faulty has nothing to do with me, my parts department or Toyota,

"This Ipod connection debate has caused confusion between myself, my collegues and customers alike"

Your words Sales King.................Confusion/ disorganisation.............the same thing?

Do you not have access to TOYOTA Technical Support?

Your answer was not what I would expect from a professional sales executive.

You appear to be blaming everyone else for the shortcomings of your organisation :(

I do not have a bee in my bonnet........................just that if you messed me about the same as you have your lady customer, I would have taken my business elsewhere and your Dealer Principle would have been advised of the reason why.

As I said, it is not really rocket science, surely there must be someone at your dealership that has the ability to answer a customers rather basic query............................or am I expecting too much from you? :)

"This Ipod connection debate has caused confusion between myself, my collegues and customers alike"

Your words Sales King.................Confusion/ disorganisation.............the same thing?

You appear to be blaming everyone else for the shortcomings of your organisation :(

I do not have a bee in my bonnet........................just that if you messed me about the same as you have your lady customer, I would have taken my business elsewhere and your Dealer Principle would have been advised of the reason why.

As I said, it is not really rocket science, surely there must be someone at your dealership that has the ability to answer a customers rather basic query............................or am I expecting too much from you? :)

We did answer the customers rather basic query, with a rather correct response. She wanted a lead going from her ipod to the FRONT of her Stereo. I told her I cant supply this lead because Toyota dont do it. Which I was right in saying, when 2 days later the only compatible lead that TGB supply turns up and its not the lead the customer wanted. It wasnt the lead the customer wanted because it dont exist.

No one was messed about, the customer was told from the very beginning the lead she wants does not exist. Confusion only arose after the customer contacted another dealer who told her the lead she wants does exist, when I ordered this lead it wasnt as the other dealer had promised. Not my fault, the others dealers fault for advising something that was not right.

I am bored now

We did answer the customers rather basic query, with a rather correct response. She wanted a lead going from her ipod to the FRONT of her Stereo. I told her I cant supply this lead because Toyota dont do it. Which I was right in saying, when 2 days later the only compatible lead that TGB supply turns up and its not the lead the customer wanted. It wasnt the lead the customer wanted because it dont exist.

No one was messed about, the customer was told from the very beginning the lead she wants does not exist. Confusion only arose after the customer contacted another dealer who told her the lead she wants does exist, when I ordered this lead it wasnt as the other dealer had promised. Not my fault, the others dealers fault for advising something that was not right.

I am bored now

You appear to bore very easily..................................so much for professsionalism. :rolleyes:

Unfortunatly for your customer you have not solved her problem.

I would have thought that the might of the Toyota organisation at dealer or national level could have come up with a solution to her problem.

Imagine the kudos that your organisation (and yourself) would have gained if you had helped your customer rather than telling her a solution to her problem was not available.

One satisfied customer will gain you and your organisation a lot more customers, wheras a dissatisfied customer will lose you much more than you your Dealer Principle would find acceptable.

A positive approach to your customers would be a good starting point. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links