Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noise Changing Gear

Notebook

Hi

Have had my car a few months, its a 4.2 and 2 1/2 years old. I went to pull up yesterday and thought that the last gear change was a bit noisy. I drove it today and have noticed the noise changing gear is different. The noise doesnt sound serious, it is the sound of the gear stick as it goes into gear. Almost as if the gearstick was loose or hitting something. The gearbox and clutch appear ok. Just the slap/clunk from the gear stick.

Make any sense?

thanks

At the bottom of the stick there are 2 cables which go through to the gearbox. One works laft and right and the other works forward and backward. In the gate which defines the location of each gear there are detent springs and ball which locate or click the gear into position. After a while these bits become worn and they do sound a bit loose and clonky but it is of no detriment other than it sounds a bit iffy. This is the arrangement;

gearshift.jpg

To stop it you would need that assembly at the bottom of the stick or you could pull it apart and see if stronger springs would do any good or you could ignore it.

Cheers

Dunno where anchorman gets all these gems from - must create them all while passing the time running UKs train system....what a man!!

Jist one thing - are ye using yer left foot tae wurk the clutch oar maybe yer legs got shorter???

If ye fix yer gear change, maybe ye cuid look at ma Humber hawks column change???? Money paid (East German notes frae 1970s)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links