Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is Remote Locking/alarm Not Standard On 4.1?

patc57uk

As the title says really.... I'm a Toyota virgin (less than one day!!) and I just picked up the cheapest decent (not an oxymoron honest!) 4.1 - a 1996 N REG GX model - I could find purely for runs to auction houses where I've been doing a bit of del-boying and needed the bigger boot space!

I was surprised to see normal keys (2 of them, seemingly 'master' ones), i.e. no buttons, thinking it would have remote locking. It is central locking, just not remote. Also the user manual bangs on about the remote fob and the alarm system, neither of which are apparent to me...

So my question is, is the alarm/remote a retrofit and is there anyone in the world still doing such a thing? I've read you can buy fobs and program them in a convuluted way, but obviously before I try that I need to make sure there's anything listening for it!

I forgot to lock the car about 5 times today because of actually having to put a key in the lock, I'm so used to remote locking on my other car... it'd be great to have it!

Thank you for any info, and great site!

Pat

TVS5000 from memory

Should have remote locking alarm but the system played up and most were by passed.

When they played up you couldnt start the car so was easier to bypass as the company stopped making them

Nov 1996 onwards had the immobilzer chip in the key so looks like you just missed out atleast on the key built immobiliser but it could be set up to lock from an alarm fob but would need a rerto kei

TVS5000 from memory

Should have remote locking alarm but the system played up and most were by passed.

When they played up you couldnt start the car so was easier to bypass as the company stopped making them

Nov 1996 onwards had the immobilzer chip in the key so looks like you just missed out atleast on the key built immobiliser but it could be set up to lock from an alarm fob but would need a rerto kei

Ooer ok. Well it's first registered Nov 1995 so it's not even 96! I guess it could be classed as the '96 model. The front of the manual has the system down as "Toyota 5000 System II Theft Deterrant System Operating Instructions".

So even if I buy a key on eBay, the car will not in any way respond to it if I attempt to program it?

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Pat

I will add, the manual does say the keys (which look like the type I have - 2xmaster) do have an immobiliser chip in them as it has lots of diagrams as to how not to mess it up!

The early system was provided by a company that went bust.

I'd to have my remote system removed altho it still has central locking.

Best to get a modern system installed for the remote locking etc

The early system was provided by a company that went bust.

I'd to have my remote system removed altho it still has central locking.

Best to get a modern system installed for the remote locking etc

Can you recommend a suitable system, and who would install such a thing?

Thanks!

See this post - 4.1 alarm

I'd shop around for a new up to date system....or see an auto-electrician to see what they recommend.

To be honest, if someone wants the car, they'll get it. One cheap way of immobilising the car is to earth part of the ecu apparently, and hide the switch somewhere. This stops them from even hot-wiring the car to start it. And the cost is next to nil.

Or you can go for the (Thatcham?) systems and chain the car to the local lamp-post?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links