Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Management Light, Catalytic Converter?

King Doddy

Hello all,

We have a 2003 Rav 4 VX 2.0L petrol, it recently had its 60k service at a main dealer (£350) and the engine light has been on intermittently, at its 50k service at a different main dealer (£175) they said it needed the latest chip upgrade (£100) to cure the problem? i didn't do it then as needed the car back. This time the dealership told me it was a CATALYTIC CONVERTER error with emissions and needed a new one - £689.19 inc 2 gaskets. I decided to wait until after its MOT and

it passed. My question is has anyone else encountered anything like this and what was the resolution, with the light on die to this error how do i know when there is a serious error? Can i remove the cat and/or replace the exhaust system and still pass MOT on emissions?

Also I was told also at the 50k service that water pump was leaking, i haven't noticed the levels drop and we are now at 62k, this seems early for a new water pump?

Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

We have a 2003 Rav 4 VX 2.0L petrol, it recently had its 60k service at a main dealer (£350) and the engine light has been on intermittently, at its 50k service at a different main dealer (£175) they said it needed the latest chip upgrade (£100) to cure the problem? i didn't do it then as needed the car back. This time the dealership told me it was a CATALYTIC CONVERTER error with emissions and needed a new one - £689.19 inc 2 gaskets. I decided to wait until after its MOT and

it passed. My question is has anyone else encountered anything like this and what was the resolution, with the light on die to this error how do i know when there is a serious error? Can i remove the cat and/or replace the exhaust system and still pass MOT on emissions?

Also I was told also at the 50k service that water pump was leaking, i haven't noticed the levels drop and we are now at 62k, this seems early for a new water pump?

Thanks in advance!

OK - this is a nice one fur a rainy day -

1. Congrats on choosing petrol.

2. If the car passed the MOT wi the CAT fitted, there can't be that much wrong. Its a common thing for peeps that tweek their cars to have a removeable CAT so it allows the engine to exhale better, and then refit it at MOT time. Pre 94 cars don't need a CAT for the MOT. IF it is the CAT, you can buy them much cheaper. However, my RAV doesn't have a CAT - shoves out exhaust big time, and passed the MOT.

3. If the engine is tuned right, then the CAT effect won't be that much anyway, and as I've said before you can save the planet by not farting as much.

4. CHIP upgrades - we discussed that at warrington and there was mixed feeling altho the one fitted to Local Heros diesel was judged very good.

5. I think Parts King said the water pump is a weakness on these engines - PM him and ask. Anchorman did a post i think on replacing the waterpump - maybe its in the pinned technical section. If the pump is done, would it not be noisy and weeping??

6. Beware of false mechanics - the guy last weekend said my power steering pump was defo knackered and out of line - it was actually a bolt that sheared on the alternator which allowed the bracket to drop down and damge the steering pump belt. Frighteneing whit sort o fawk ye find aroon.

Wan o the later models will be along soon tae add their tuppence wurth. A wid thank them fur their input and praise their wives as the guys are no stunners. (a few whiskies an ahm onybidies).

ps, dya ken Bucks Fizz?

If its the PO420 or PO430 fault code, an ECU reflash should cure the problem. Sometimes the air flow meter can get dirty and send wrong signals to the engine ECU which can throw up a similar code.

Regarding the water pump have a look at 'rattling and shushing noise from 2L petrol' on page 9. Last post from me in late March. Mine went at 36k. I could see the shiney silver grooves where the belt should have been running. Eventually it became a job for a large recovery truck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links