Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Gx 2000

Papillon

Hi there,

In a bid to make 1st and 2nd gears easier to get in and out of I'd like to try changing the gearbox oil to Redline MT90. I'd just like to ask if the engine and gearbox are linked and therefore use the same oil as I already put some Slick 50 into the engine a year but it hasn't had any positive effect on the gear changes...

Cheers!

Hi there,

In a bid to make 1st and 2nd gears easier to get in and out of I'd like to try changing the gearbox oil to Redline MT90. I'd just like to ask if the engine and gearbox are linked and therefore use the same oil as I already put some Slick 50 into the engine a year but it hasn't had any positive effect on the gear changes...

Cheers!

I would say NO. Engine oil does not flow into the gear box....and visa versa

No as Chatman says definitely not.

The gearbox and transfer box are seperate. The gearbox is accessed form the passenger side (you might find it easier to whip the 6 screws out and remove the plastic splash gaurd). This is the gearbox level plug and you can just see the drain plug to the lower right;

IMG_1096.jpg

And this is the transfer box which you get at from the drivers side;

IMG_1092.jpg

If you do the rear axle, apart from the engine oil and filter you have just about done a major service. This is the rear axle drain plug;

IMG_1103.jpg

And this is the filler;

IMG_1112-1.jpg

Capacities;

Gearbox 3.4 litres

Transfer box 0.9 litres

Rear axle 0.9 litres

Bitman (or was it dutchrav?) reported very good results with the Redline so please keep us informed.

Regards

Many thanks Anchorman for that detailed explanation!

I don't think I'm up to doing myself as I might get my nails dirty :huh: but I've booked my car in at the garage and will defniitely report back about it.

Cheers again,

Bitman (or was it dutchrav?) reported very good results with the Redline so please keep us informed.

wasn't me :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there's no change in the gearbox as the garage said the oil didn't need changing. I'd already explained why I want it changed but apparently they know better... :huh:

Firstly, they are all a bit notchy - especially in the lower gears. Is there anyone else who has one that you can try to compare? If it is worse take it to another garage and ask them to change the oil.

Incidentally, I really would avoid putting any additives into good quality engine oil. It has everything it needs and additive manufacturers claims are very hard to substatiate.

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links