Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 2.0vvti Rav4 Switching Off Airbag

The Sandman

I am looking for some information with regards to switching off the passenger airbag on my Rav 4.

I require to put a baby seat in the front.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I am looking for some information with regards to switching off the passenger airbag on my Rav 4.

Cheers.

I think someone posted here a few months ago wi the same question - sure it can be done...as these things are electric operated.

Thought aboot pittin a nail covered cudgel against the dash?? Shhhhtttt - just noticed yur frae Hamilton so ye'll hae wan o them fitted awready.

Welcome to this nuthoose. If ye see me aboot in the RAV gies a flash or whitever if ye fancy a hurl up the EK exprerssway.

Sumbudy sensible will be along tae answer yur question properly - course they micht jist be English, but if ye manage tae decifer the hint.... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Had a look in the manual for my 2005 RAV4 and there is no mention of being able to disable the passenger airbag, and there are plenty of warnings about babies and young children not being carried in the front.

Says to me that what you want to do cannot be done without possibly permenantly disabling the airbag - and I suspect the dealers will not do that for you for liability reasons and your Insurance company would probably also have to be informed as you have disabled a key safety device that their system will assume is in place.

Cheers.

Hi and welcome, yes, Hoovie's right, in fact there is a dire warning on page 91 of my better half's handbook (for her Rav4.2 2005) which says "Never install a rear-facing child restraint system on the front seat"....."can cause death or serious injury..."

Robert

Cheers.

Hi and welcome, yes, Hoovie's right, in fact there is a dire warning on page 91 of my better half's handbook (for her Rav4.2 2005) which says "Never install a rear-facing child restraint system on the front seat"....."can cause death or serious injury..."

Robert

Aye - using a MIG welder tae fit the child restraint system tae the seat cuid/will set fire tae the seat. Even trying tae weld the original seat thegether is bad fur yer health as they smoulder wi a black smoke.

See the hassle I have in planes - I have a seat belt exempt certificate and the plane crew will insist I wear a belt even though it will kill me in the event of a emergency stop. Bout as good as the lifebelt wi the whistle and light fur attracting "low flying submarines" as wan pilot put it.

If keen, buy yersel a 4.1 version of the RAV as it ony has the drivers airbag system fitted to the steering wheel - nothing on the passenger side so quite safe. I'm hoping to make up a rollcage for the 1st beast which will strengthen the already strengthened frontal area and with good harnesses things become much safer. We've had this argument last year. The injuries sustained by a friends daughter last month after a van hit the stationary car she was in head on, would have killed me. Her injuries were all related to the position of the crossover and lapbelt, and airbag. Now - why don 't racing drivers use a lap and cross over belt I wonder? Maybe its cos a full harness system actually spreads the weight force (Nm) over a larger area of the body, whilst keeping the body tighter in place. I think those that tried the RAV in Warrington were surprised at how comfortable the racing seats fitted were. They're meant to be as they help hold the body as well. Something that can't be said for normal car seats.

Cheers for the replies folks.

It the wife's car. I'll give her the "good" news.

Looks like she will be driving my Audi S4 until the wee man is able to go in the back. Bummer. :angry:

If it is to keep an eye on the little perisher, maybe get an extra rear-view mirror and postion it so she can see the nipper with a glance.

I am sure they would be safer in the back anyway, airbag or not.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links