Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Induction Kits.

Gwelandor

hi all,

currently im trying to decide what induction kit to buy for my CTS. I know alot of ppl on here have the typhoon but personaly im not so keen on it. ive heard that once its warm it loses alot of its sound :unsure:

anyway ive narrowed it down to either ther blitz sus or the blitz sonic.

blitz sus pros - cheaper, meant to be the loudest.

blitz sonic pros - enclosed, can move the heat shield to adjust the sound/intake. (site explains more)

so what do you think i should go for? anyone had any experiances with either of them?

cheers, Dean0.

i cant remember who it was on here - they rang Fensport and they said the SUS gives better gains over Sonic.

The K&N Does lose a lot of its roar when the engine warms up but if I'm correct it's apparently still louder than any Blitz filter.

If I were to go for a Blitz one though I'd go for the SUS.

i cant remember who it was on here - they rang Fensport and they said the SUS gives better gains over Sonic.

T'was me!! :lol:

Fensport quoted the following:

Sonic - Gain around 3-7bhp

SUS - Gain around 5-14bhp

Depends if you want looks or power!

:thumbsup:

T'was me!! :lol:

Fensport quoted the following:

Sonic - Gain around 3-7bhp

SUS - Gain around 5-14bhp

Depends if you want looks or power!

soz Gaz - couldnt remember. did you get a filter then?

Almost, bought some new discs and pads first and just in the process of fitting them!

Blitz SUS is next on the list tho!

Make sure you get a video of the noise up for me to look-see! :D

Almost, bought some new discs and pads first and just in the process of fitting them!

Blitz SUS is next on the list tho!

what disc and pads did you get? need to change me pads again - all round this time. gonna see whats available - might be able to get some Jap produced Toyota pads which in the past were always very good - nothing like them 5hite Pagid pads they use now. i tried all different pads on me GXi but none compared to the Toyota ones. i've been recommended to try some Tarox pads on me GXi so i'll give them ago and and then maybe get some for the T Sport

Make sure you get a video of the noise up for me to look-see! :D

Nope! :lol:

You'll just have to come along to the RR day and then we can compare! ;)

what disc and pads did you get? need to change me pads again - all round this time. gonna see whats available - might be able to get some Jap produced Toyota pads which in the past were always very good - nothing like them 5hite Pagid pads they use now. i tried all different pads on me GXi but none compared to the Toyota ones. i've been recommended to try some Tarox pads on me GXi so i'll give them ago and and then maybe get some for the T Sport

Got a set of Mintex pads and some drilled/grooved discs off eBay.

MTEC? Think that was the company, one of my mate's had some from him before and didn't have any problems so i thought what the hell!! :lol:

No harm in trying these things out!! :thumbsup:

Hey Guys,

Ive got a Sonic myself, really pleased with it and yes the heatshield can be adjusted to tune the induction sound.

Sounds really good actually, ive heard a CTS running a typhoon, and im sure ive got a better sounding motor - yes its all down to personal taste, but (bhp figures aside) thats what its all about really isnt it??

The Sonic when engine is cold sounds really raspy, really metallic, when the engine warms up the sound does change, but it doesnt get any quieter. So far as im aware (and correct me if im wrong -cos im far from certain) that any free flowing filter will change sound when the engine warms up. When its warm though it does sound really good, very deep note and a bit of an echo (from the heatshield) which adds to the effect. There is a real noticable boom when the lift kicks in and a deep roar through the whole rev range when accelerating under full throttle :thumbsup: . On part throttle its much more subdued though. Havent heard a CTS with a SUS filter though so cant comment on how it compares.

The heatshield does have its advantages, obviously, with corect placement and/or air feed pipes it should be sucking in just cool air, rather than the hoter engine bay air, im not sure exactly how much of an increase this makes though.

Bit confused as to why the SUS is supposed to have such higher power gains though, Blitz market the Sonic as their top of the line intake filter..

Only thing is, again just my opinion, but on a stock CTS id be very very surprised to see gains of more than those base figures of 4 or 5 bhp. Yes on a car with forced induction im sure the gains are more pronounced, but on a stock 190 bhp N/A car id be surprised to see such large improvements. Id like to be proven wrong though cos ive got one on the car myself! So if anyone has any dyno plots before/after id love to hear about it.

Went on a bit longer than i intended to there :D

:yawn:

Only kidding! :lol:

I must admit when i was speaking to Fensport iwas quite surprised that the cheaper model gives a higher gain.

The only thing i can think of is that with the Sonic kit the filter is fully enclosed within the heatshield, maybe this restricts the air flow slightly??

The figures they quoted are the min to max possible gains from the filter. How much you will gain from them does depend on the vehicle you apply it to.

I must admit when i was speaking to Fensport iwas quite surprised that the cheaper model gives a higher gain.

The only thing i can think of is that with the Sonic kit the filter is fully enclosed within the heatshield, maybe this restricts the air flow slightly??

The figures they quoted are the min to max possible gains from the filter. How much you will gain from them does depend on the vehicle you apply it to.

cheaper models give more gains as they filter less - infact most offer less filtration than the standard filter. there is plenty of room for improvement but i cant see how having a filter in a hot bay will give good gains unless it is filtering less?

cheaper models give more gains as they filter less - infact most offer less filtration than the standard filter. there is plenty of room for improvement but i cant see how having a filter in a hot bay will give good gains unless it is filtering less?

when the car is moving its sucking cold air in, or am i wrong ?

The filters used in the Sonic & SUS are exactly the same.

That's why i thought it might have something to do with the heatshield on the Sonic restricting the airflow slightly.

The filters used in the Sonic & SUS are exactly the same.

That's why i thought it might have something to do with the heatshield on the Sonic restricting the airflow slightly.

Does the SUS not have a metal mesh filter element?? The Sonic has a cotton gauze filter - which come to think of it im going to ned to take out and clean at some point tin the near future :huh: Does anyone know roughly how often these need removed, cleaned and re-oiled?? I know to be very carefull re-oiling the filter element - getting a bit to zealous with the filter oil can lead to it getting sucked in with the intake air and coating your MAF sensor - leading to all kinds of rough running woes...

Correct! :lol:

The way it was described to me i thought they were the same filter, just been on Blitz' website and i stand corrected!! :lol:

I think Fenport have a soft spot for the SUS filters, they seem to use those on a lot of their own cars, and some customer cars ive seen.

Everyone has their preference, and if they use them there must be some truth to it.

As i said before though i think on an otherwise stock car the gains will probably be daaaaamn close to the same. It probably comes down to personal look and sound preference, cos anything is better than the original suffocating airbox..

G

I must admit i do like the look the look of the Sonic, where did you get yours from and what did it cost?

(If you don't mind me asking! :lol: )

Nah dont mind ;)

Got it off potn.com couldnt find a local dealer for it so had to go to the tinternet for it.

Took absolutely ages to arrive cos they had to order them in specially.

Cost about :huh: mmm - think back think back think back - £250 ish??? Have had it about two years now so cant recall exactly off the top of my head.

Think they are a bit easier to come by now. Would definately recommend it, sound the business. and you can hear it sssssssucking when you give it some throttle :drool:

Ive never met anyone else, on any forum who has one fitted though.. Which is really strange... Possibly cos they are so hard to find..

G

There handy enough to come by now. most online suppliers havthem as does eBay. think they rrp at £190 now. think il get one myself. something different really. there wont be much in it +/- the typhoon but looks great imo

Alright fellas!

I know nowt about either of these in terms of power, etc, but heard one once at a race day at York when I had my MR2 GTS. There was a bloke there who had the Sonic fitted to his GTS and it sounded unreal - was like a jet plane!! B) I know it's hard to compare two very different engines, but I'd be really curious to hear one on the CTS, just I did consider one for that reason before opting for the Typhoon.

With the warm weather I've had the windows down and been shocked at just how loud the typhoon is though. You scare the crap out of people hitting lift! :thumbsup:

I wanna get a induction kit for my CTS.

I can get high street vouchers as my commision at wrk, i no Halfords take them but when i went into my local one, there wasnt a kit for the CTS on there system.

do you no of any other places that would taken them so i can save some cash?

Can Halfords not order you one in as a special??

Dunno of any other places that would take high street vouchers if you're after an Induction Kit

I think im converted. il be getting one unless i find a typhoon for a bargain. where in NI are you? Im in Belfast myself, were u at the NI meet in sprucefield?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links