Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First Car Ideas

adam_d

Well, I haven't been on here at all yet since I joined, because I thought it would mainly be if anything went wrong with the Auris. Clearly in typical Toyota fashion, there's nothing gone wrong except squeaky brakes, which were fixed right away :).

Anyway, I'm 16 on Sunday which got me thinking, I should probably get a job and start saving for a car. Anybody got any ideas on what I should go for when I finally look for one? It definitely has to be a Toyota. I did want an AE86, but import prices are waaaay too high :P Also with the way petrol prices are going at the minute, I'll probably need something more economical. Anyone got any ideas? :)

Aygo - Fun, Cheap to run and insure and you are less likely to kill ya self thinking your Lewis Hamilton.

Mk1 Yaris, all the good points of an Aygo mentioned by Sarah, only better in every aspect in my opinion

Mk1 Yaris, all the good points of an Aygo mentioned by Sarah, only better in every aspect in my opinion

HA HA wrong!! how? Yaris doesnt have much street cred to start with for a youngster! plus its boring to look at? Aygo is lighter cheaper, Yaris might be a tad bigger but am guessing for a 17yr old that wont matter, so how can it be better :lol:

pft! Kev!! ;)

SJx

You think an Aygo gives you street credit? Get real. I know the Yaris has a reputation as a grannymobile but that really didn't bother me in the least because I knew it was a great car, other people's opinions didn't bother me 1 bit.

I don't want to get into a slanging match because Aygo's are lovely little cars but they've always seemed "cheap & nasty" to me, I feel like they were designed solely with cost in mind, the fact that the interior light doesn't come on when the passenger door is opened underlines that for me. I know you're never getting Rolls Royce class in a car for that kind of money but if I was spending a massive amount of my hard earned money (as I did when I got my Yaris), I'd expect to get something that's had a few quid spent on the design & manufacture of it.

I'm naturally biased towards the Yaris as you are towards the Aygo but I genuinely think they're a much better car

I have to admit, I do like the Aygo and I have looked at it a few times, but the only thing that bothers me is the french link, and the only Toyota I've ever seen broken down was an Aygo diesel.

I like the old Yaris too, and I agree I wouldn't care about other people's opinions, I would laugh at them when they asked me for a lift when their corsa or clio had broken down :P

It depends on how much money you're planning on saving.

I would think the Paseo is definitely worth considering. AFIK they're very reliable and running gear / engine parts should be readily available.

And they're a bit different if that's what you're looking for. If not then a Starlet.

Or if you really want something special then a Sera should be on your list.

The mk1 Yaris 1l would be a good choice for a first car. It was mine! :D

The Aygo is more expensive, but it has a better engine and a better chassis if being a bit more spartan in the interior.

In the end, all the Yarises are small cars doing pretty good impressions of mid-sized cars in terms of comfort and refinement. The Aygo is a small car which drives like a small car. It's less refined but goes, stops and corners better imho.

Paul.

Actually, I wouldn't mind a Paseo or Sera for the looks. Actually, the Sera sounds like a very good idea, it's just I'm not sure where I'd be able to source one. eBay? If I looked at Starlets, it would have to be a faster one, which I would only end up crashing.

Hmm, I'm liking the sound of a Sera...I guess I have plenty of time to look :)

It's just going to be a case of whether I want a newer Toyota model or an older one I think.

You think an Aygo gives you street credit? Get real. I know the Yaris has a reputation as a grannymobile but that really didn't bother me in the least because I knew it was a great car, other people's opinions didn't bother me 1 bit.

I don't want to get into a slanging match because Aygo's are lovely little cars but they've always seemed "cheap & nasty" to me, I feel like they were designed solely with cost in mind, the fact that the interior light doesn't come on when the passenger door is opened underlines that for me. I know you're never getting Rolls Royce class in a car for that kind of money but if I was spending a massive amount of my hard earned money (as I did when I got my Yaris), I'd expect to get something that's had a few quid spent on the design & manufacture of it.

I'm naturally biased towards the Yaris as you are towards the Aygo but I genuinely think they're a much better car

Ok well the Aygo will never have street cred in petrolhead world cos if its 1litre econess :lol: but thanks to Toyotas shameful marketing to the 18-24yrs old (yes I know I am not in that age bracket :( :lol: ) it does have general street cred.

And the Aygos cheapness is part of its charm..who needs a passenger side light.. :lol: theres still a switch in the middle! Although the seats having no memory and no seat belt height adjuster were a cost cut too for IMO.

Have never driven a Mark1 Yaris so cant really debate much further, did driver a newer one tho and its just didnt have the 'nippy/fun' factor about it. But no slanging match, I think its an interesting debate seen as these are probably the most two likely contenders for a new driver.

And Adam, yes there is a link to the french but the important parts are all toyota. I think they are stopping making the diesel tho as you dont get much difference in economy. Maybe it broke down as they put pertrol in it..lol

But if moneys no object then I agree with T600 but my fav is still the MR2 or the supras out of the toyota range.

SJx

I feel like they were designed solely with cost in mind

I sort of feel that way about Toyota generally nowadays, but I guess being green wins with a government like ours :(

My first car was an Mk2 XR2, loved it. Not really got any suggestions for a first car, but the Aygo is so new you might not pick them up cheap enough 2nd hand yet (unless you're looking at new with money no object). Just don't go for a Saxo or Corsa ;)

Hmm, well from a quick look, looks as if I can get a good Paseo for about £1000, and I imagine I won't have a lot more than that by the time I've paid for insurance and everything.

And good point about why the Aygo was broken :P I would want the petrol anyway. And I would take good care of the car, I say if you look after it, it'll look after you. Main reason I want a Toyota is based on indestructability.

The only thing is, Aygo's look to have very good residuals, so price could be an issue.

Edit: Don't worry, definitely want a Toyota. I really am very obsessed with them already :P

Firstly well done for going for a toyota for your first car - they are brill. :P

Secondly - i wouldnt advise getting a brand new car as your first car, they cost too much for a 16 year old and youll be paying sky high insurance anyway!

Start with something second hand - that way if you break it , it doesnt make that much difference, plus you can tinker with it yourself which is the only real way to get to know your car, if you do that with a new car your warrenty gets voided doesnt it?

Anyway what about something like a starlet? They are great little cars, loads of mods you can do to them - cos lets face it you will want to :D

I think youve got to have a banger when you first start learning to drive - its all part of the fun - then you really appreciate when you get a nice car :D Been there done that - my first car was gorgeous little mk1 fiesta same age as me :D - i spent many hours waiting for my dad to come and tow me home :D But i look back on those moments and laugh now , i wouldnt have swapped it for the world ............only for a mk1 mr2 :P he he

Hmm, I'm not too sure about any mods, certainly no big body kits or massive exhausts.

And yeah, I probably will want to tinker with it, so that's a good point. And an older one would be easier to tinker with too... Hmm this is giving me a lot to think about :P

But if I was going to do any mods, it would definitely be engine wise over body wise :P

The only thing is, Aygo's look to have very good residuals, so price could be an issue.

And for good reason..;) :lol:

Although i completely agree with teagan about a banger, only advantage of having a newer car for first timers is its under warranty should anything go wrong with the car its sorted no hassle.

But lets face it as long as its a Toyota ya ok!! lol

SJx

Yep, that's exactly my reasoning behind wanting a Toyota. :P

I'd wholly recommend a Yaris

Go for an early Mk1, like Kev suggested. Cheap to buy, reasonable on insurance & tax but not cruddy like Corsas, Puntos etc.

Don't get me wrong, the Aygo is a great car and would be a brilliant 1st car, but they are still rather expensive to buy whereas the Yaris will be the all-round cheaper option - I think the 1.0 Yaris' are only Group 2 insurance anyway whereas the Aygo is Group 1 so not a great deal of difference.

Plus loads of choice with the Yaris! :thumbsup:

Go for Mk1 yaris!

I had the whole "haha you drive a yaris thing" but after a while when bits went wrong with theres and i always helped them out, most of my friends turned around and said i should have got one!

And these days you can get anything from a 2 grand high mileage 1 litre to a newish 7 grand 1.5 supercharged :P !

Done 30,000 miles in mine since i was 17 and no problems at all!!

my first car was a *cough* peugeot 106 *cough*

and i agree with tegan... go for an older car. if you knock it or crash it, you woult feel too bad where as if you have a brand spanking new one or one thats only a couple of years old that cost you alot you'll be really annoyed.

my first car cost me £400 and it was bloomin grat! (even if it was french) cheap to repair, easy to run, cheap petrol, cheap insurance, cheap tax ect

you could buy an old corolla. not a gti but a gl or whatever. they are reliable, cheap and fun!

xx

Actually, the Sera sounds like a very good idea, it's just I'm not sure where I'd be able to source one. Ebay?

Ebay's one source, but also keep a look out on AutoTrader, PistonHeads and on here.

There aren't millions of them, but there's usually one or two for sale if you look hard enough.

If you buy something standard you're going to want to spend money changing it, but with a Sera it'll be distinctive even when stock. If you can find a good one then it'll probably not depreciate too much providing you look after it, but if you buy one in a poor condition it'll be a money pit. So if you go that route make sure you know what you're doing or else have expert help to examine it.

Plenty of suggestions above on newer cars, and the relative merits if you have a bump. Couple of things on this - with older cars, especially ones that are well looked after, it's hard to get the insurance companies to pay out their true value if they're written off. And it doesn't take much of a bump to write of a £1,000 car. Also, if you are going to have an accident then doing it in something modern with a 5* safety rating is infinitely better than doing it in something from the 80s or 90s.

One of the major considerations as a young un is going to be insurance.Unless you're mega rich,insurance quotes will bring water to your eyes unless you look at insurance gps 1-2.

Imports and mods?Get your big fat wallet out for the insurance!

I've recently looked into this and seen quotes for £1k-£1.5k fully comp for newish Aygo and Citroen C1 on 18yr old with provisional license and £900 for a 1990 1000cc mini third party!

Start creeping up the ins gps and you'll find it prohibitively expensive to insure.

When you're young and have no no claims bonus,I think you may have to cut your teeth on a "boring" small city car for a year or 2 to build up your NCB,before moving onto more exotic cars.

If you're concerned about the Aygo re reliability then perhaps you should look at the latest What car magazine where they publish the 2008 JD Power survey and guess which car comes in at number 1 in the City Car Category?

The Aygo's,C1s and 107s(came in 3rd in the JD Power Survey,incidentally) are all built in a Toyota factory in the Czech Republic using Toyota production principles.Yes,they are economic,cheap cars,but they are great fun to drive,and very suitable for a young person.Also 3 year old samples are coming up for sale so prices are starting to come down.

Good luck in your choice!

Starlet SR!!!

great car, cheap insurance, not as Ghey as they aygo or yaris, comes with 1.3 16v engine, 15 inch speedline alloys, tte spoiler, tte exhaust and lowered 25mm all as standard whilst still ins group 4

Ok, I'm just reading this quickly while I'm on lunch break. Thanks for all your replies. This is giving me something to think about. :P And I'm not worried about Aygo reliability, I'd get a petrol, it probably was just a misfuel job. I'm not concerned about any Toyota's reliability :P I've got experience of their strength. :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links