Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Turbo Rev2 280- 300bhp

Don87

hi, i want to see 280 - 300 bhp for the least amount of money, i dont want to do any engine rebuilding group a head gasket at the most. What is the best way to go about it? Don

need a bit more info m8,

year of tubby? current state of tune? overall engine condition?

Mo.

It says Rev 2 Tubby in the title Mo.

Personally I would think that 280 - 300 is pushing it for stock internals. It'll probably do it, but the chance of failure is fairly high at that level.

Swear to god my brain is brand new Tony lol,,

Hmmm rev2,

prolly,, boost controller, de-cat, good exhaust, filter, intercooler or charge cooler, fuel cut, and maybe some kind of piggy back ecu......or ...................strap a big bottle of giggle gas to it n laugh all the way to the moon!!!

Mo

300 is nowhere near pushing it on stock internals!!?

Where did you get your info T600??? Usually you're spot on, but wrong bud this time.

Exhaust, Decat, Fuel cut, boost gauge, boost controller, air filter will get you about 260bhp.

Fit an aftermarket ECU/AFC and you should see 280bhp.

And make sure the tyres are pumped up right??!! :)

I dunno Jim, 320-330 maybe is the 'safe' limit on stock internals but personally i'd stick on the very safe side of that..

But........since it's a rev2 you got to remember limitations of fuel injectors, limits of the turbo and take into account it aint got a metal head gasket like the rev3+ has so again another limiting factor,

it's not always about getting loads of power, the trick is to keep it inside and reliable and not having it go pop!!,

Mo.

320 to 330???

Guess again mate... higher than that!!

You never mentioned head gasket or fuelling, simply internals.

300 is nowhere near pushing it on stock internals!!?

Where did you get your info T600??? Usually you're spot on, but wrong bud this time.

OK - I'll stand corrected.

My comment was based on the fact that I've talked to a few people who've had piston failures at 300, so to me that suggests that the reliability level is starting to fall as you reach that level. But of course that's based on a very small sample and it may well be that they had other problems that led to the failure, and maybe there are hundreds of people running 300 without any issues.

For me one of the key features of these engines is their reliability so if I was going to those levels I'd at least consider forged pistons, but it seems I'm over-cautious.

Interesting article on MR2 power here

Toyota has over engineered engines in the Supra/Mr2. They can handle way more than what they're originally intended for.

ok jim show us all evidence of these stupid high power mr2's on stock internals!!

money where mouth is time fella....

you admit ur self ur not the most technical or knowledgable person around when it comes to cars n tuning so rather than repeating 'what you heard from the bloke in the pub', show us some hard facts from your own personal experiences!!!!!

Mo.

ok jim show us all evidence of these stupid high power mr2's on stock internals!!

money where mouth is time fella....

you admit ur self ur not the most technical or knowledgable person around when it comes to cars n tuning so rather than repeating 'what you heard from the bloke in the pub', show us some hard facts from your own personal experiences!!!!!

Mo.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!!! :P

Hardly Andy lol,

just like ppl to back up what they say, nothing more dood.

Mo.

330 is approaching safe levels if you want ANY reliability even with a mappable ECU, there is a 185 that's run about 400 on std pistons for a while but a rebuild was always on the cards and is underway, there is another guy with a low mileage 185 running 750cc injectors, MoTec M400 ecu, garret turbo that has toasted his lump after 200miles, and they were both mapped by the same bloke! so nothing has any guarantee.

if you dont want to open the engine at all then 260 is about as far as your going, throw in a steel HG some ARP head studs a turbo, injectors and ECU and you should see a good 320 but thats not exactly spending just a few quid

I enquired a while back with rogue and I'm sure a car with HG should be able to hit 400-450bhp? (might be speaking toss here!)

Start playing with any car though and you increase the chance of it going pop. Even fully built up motors can go pop!

I enquired a while back with rogue and I'm sure a car with HG should be able to hit 400-450bhp? (might be speaking toss here!)

Start playing with any car though and you increase the chance of it going pop. Even fully built up motors can go pop!

not a chance, it wont be reliable and will last for about 5 mins before saying bye bye and doing the job properly that should have been done in the first place and changing internals

you could run 1000 BHP on stock internals its just a matter of how long before the internals are external, rods have a ceiling of 450bhp, the rolla was pushing 470 but only for about 8mths before one broke. to be fair other than some mild porting on the head, ARP fasteners throughout and JE forgies it was a stock lump (not incl things like injectors, ECU or turbo here just the long block assembly.)

a lot of it depends on they way its set up as well as the general condition of the engine, low mileage dosnt always mean good condition either

What ecu/engine management system are you using Dawesey and is there a quick fix to de-limit (ie the 180km/hr) the MR2 3SGTE management system??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links