Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Iq

Jeff McCrory

Anyone see the new Toyota IQ now fully featured on the Toyota website. Looks quite funky! Smaller than an Aygo but similar interior size to a Yaris!

Would anyone consider trading in their beloved Aygo for one of these?

toyota_iq.jpg

Amazing that it is a 4 seater!

CLICKY!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulWorthing

• Parts-King

• Fujisan

• Jeff McCrory

You know I really hated these at first but its growing on me and that interior is rather funky I have to say!! I think i just dont understand the point of them? Why need something smaller than an Aygo? Note it says its 4 seater but that is only allowed 1 adults and 1 child in the rear :unsure:

Are these on sale now then? and am probably being dense but I cant find any specs for it?

I wouldnt trade my Aygo tho, am tying to climb up the car ladder not go down it :lol:

SJx

Nah they aren't going into production until the end of the year, wonder if they will be made at the Aygo factory in Czech Rep?

Hmmm not sure I see the point in it actually - not unless its really cheap, band A tax and is impressively better with fuel economy than the Aygo.

You know I really hated these at first but its growing on me and that interior is rather funky I have to say!! I think i just dont understand the point of them? Why need something smaller than an Aygo? Note it says its 4 seater but that is only allowed 1 adults and 1 child in the rear :unsure:

Are these on sale now then? and am probably being dense but I cant find any specs for it?

I wouldnt trade my Aygo tho, am tying to climb up the car ladder not go down it :lol:

SJx

Fully agree 100% with all you say.

Interior looks good but the back seats look a bit on the stiff side. More like a smart than an Aygo I'd say!

bet they are aiming for some zero tax jobby or something.

noticed there are a ton of small hatchbacks lately? and they are getting smaller.

noticed there are a ton of small hatchbacks lately? and they are getting smaller.

It's a direct reaction to the childhood obesity crisis that's hitting our country. All Kids do is play computer games and get driven everywhere ( it would appear ).

Now we have the Wii that makes them excercise while playing computer games and cars that they can only get in if they weren't little fatties !

Lateral thinking !!! :thumbsup:

I don't like it, reminds me too much of my Smart which I hate so much even now

and looks like the Twingo

renault-twingo-renaultsport-31-01-08.jpg

love the theme tune to that advert "chick Habit"

I just cant get off the chick habit LOL

some cool lil cars out at the mo

Small cars with higher fuel economy are the way forward at the moment what with the rising fuel costs.

Im with SJ on this one, wouldnt trade my Aygo in since I want to slowly go up rather than down, altho maybe not if petrol ends up sky high lol

As the cost of motoring forever increases, with fuel prices spiralling out of control and RFL increasing every year (although it has actually decreased for cars like the Aygo and Yaris). These are just a couple of the reasons why cars like the IQ are going to increase in popularity over the years. Affordable, cheap to run and maintain, cool, cute and funky - I can't wait to get the IQ in the showrooms, am expecting it to be a good seller.

Small cars with higher fuel economy are the way forward at the moment what with the rising fuel costs.

Im with SJ on this one, wouldnt trade my Aygo in since I want to slowly go up rather than down, altho maybe not if petrol ends up sky high lol

Well the Aygo is my 4th car. I have owned...

Ford Ka 1997 - 2000

Ford Puma 2001 - 2004

BMW Mini Cooper 2004 - 2008

Toyota Aygo 2008 - ????

In the light of rising cost of fuel, car tax and the fact that I've gone from driving 15K miles a year to 3K a year since i moved to the city I didn't see the point on spending a stack of cash and landing myself with a huge car loan on top of my new mortgage. I too think cars like the Aygo and the IQ are going to be much more popular in the future the way things are going. Most big cities in the UK will be introducing congestion charges like London in the next 10 years, and these are the only type of car which will be exempt.

I think the IQ will be a popular little car, dunno if I'll buy one, might save for the next gen Aygo :)

In the light of rising cost of fuel, car tax and the fact that I've gone from driving 15K miles a year to 3K a year since i moved to the city I didn't see the point on spending a stack of cash and landing myself with a huge car loan on top of my new mortgage. I too think cars like the Aygo and the IQ are going to be much more popular in the future the way things are going. Most big cities in the UK will be introducing congestion charges like London in the next 10 years, and these are the only type of car which will be exempt.

I think the IQ will be a popular little car, dunno if I'll buy one, might save for the next gen Aygo :)

And its this total logical thinking that stopped me buying the MR2 the other week, but my car history consists of two Aygos :lol:

I feel I need to go crazy with some non logical thinking for a while, espeically while you still dont have to take out a mortgage just to buy feul..which may not last for long..lol, and then maybe come back to the Aygo when I am grown up and petrol is £5 a litre etc..lol....ooh next Gen Aygo theres a thought.

SJx

i actually quite like them!!! i might just go for a test drive when theyre out n then see if i want to trade... although the aygo is small... theres only me who sits in it so might aswell have something even smaller :lol:

If cost and trimlevel are the same I'd gladly take an iQ...

I feel I need to go crazy with some non logical thinking for a while, espeically while you still dont have to take out a mortgage just to buy feul..

There are plenty of powerful Toyotas from the early- to mid-90s still available if you want the buzz---Supra, Soarer, Aristo, MR2, Celica. Just bear in mind that the running costs are quite high unless you are doing very few miles.

Great to have one for a year or so just to get the thrill of driving that much power before they are gone forever B)

Paul.

The reason for all these small cars is simple..........The obsession in the world to reduce CO2. All of the manufacturers of cars signed up to lower the levels of CO2 by 2010, hence a rash of Aygo/IQ types of car. Here we are making small cars and moving away from sports cars to reduce our emissions, but we have just opened terminal 5 and want a new runway at Heathrow, the world has gone mad!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Here we are making small cars and moving away from sports cars to reduce our emissions, but we have just opened terminal 5 and want a new runway at Heathrow, the world has gone mad!

Terminal 5 didn't add to emissions though.......Although it did contribute a lot of raised temperatures and hot air.

Let's hope the IQ works properly ! :D

yeh, i hope they dont skrimp on costs during making it like they did on the aygo!

I agree with you. But there has to be a fine balance. There will only be so much people will be prepared to pay for a car so small. Toyota cant spend a comparitively huge budget on the car by using the finest materials on the interior and having the fit and finish matching cars in the class above and still make a profit by pricing at a level only what people would pay for a mass produced small car. I dont think the majority of buyers for this car would pay a premium just because it had a classy, luxurious interior. Funky, Affordable and Functional, thats what the car will be about i reckon. F.A.F

SJx

the IQ is gonna be more expensive than the Aygo - a lot more expensive! i got the misses a Smart car, if its as fun as them Toyota are onto a winner. I had an Aygo as a courtesy car - did nearly 300miles in the 24hrs i had it and was really impressed - so with the extra money its gonna cost should be a really good car.

I like it, the styling is funky and compact...it has most things you need from a car..inc a heads up display. :wub:

Its small but perfectly formed imo. -_-

For me as an MR2 driver the rear seats in the Iq, would be a bonus. I would happily swap my car for an Iq :bye::blink:

But with the amount of motorway miles I do it just wouldnt be very economical for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read a great article in the "paper" copy of Autocar about the IQ. From what I gather, it will be built in Japan and because of the high-ish price and limited production numbers will be aimed at the Mini, Fiat 500 type of buyer.

Sorry this the best version of that article I could find electronically :rolleyes:

968810287.jpg9688103435.jpg

"This is the world’s smallest four-seater, the Toyota iQ, in its final stages of testing before it goes on sale in the UK in the opening months of 2009.

Toyota needn’t have bothered with the disguise; the production version of the iQ was revealed at the Geneva motor show back in March.

It’s just 2985mm long and uses a unique 3+1 seating system allowing three adults and one child to sit comfortably, despite it Smart-like proportions.

An ingeniously packaged little city car with an asymmetrical fascia, the iQ’s front passenger seat slides further forward than the driver’s seat so an adult can sit behind the passenger. A compact HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) system allows a much slimmer dashboard, and the fuel tank is just 120mm deep. The transmission has also been redesigned so the driveshafts exit forward of the engine’s centre line, allowing the front wheels to be mounted further forward.

Although fuller details about the iQ’s range of engines will emerge later, company insiders have confirmed that both petrol and diesel motors will be available. The smallest, high-efficiency version will be a three-cylinder petrol emitting just 99g/km of CO2 – that means it will be exempt from road tax in Britain. Two four-cylinder options will be offered above it (a petrol and a diesel) and both will use stop-start engine technology to bring their emissions and fuel economy figures down.

The Japanese giant expects to sell around 100,000 examples of its smallest model in Europe and Japan. Later in its life, when production volumes increase, it’s likely that the car will made for the American market, badged as a Scion. iQ prices will start from around £9000 in the UK.

Meanwhile, the same packaging revolutions that have allowed Toyota to fit two rows of seats into a three-metre car will next be applied to the Japanese firms smallest MPV, the replacement for the Yaris Verso. Slightly longer than the current Yaris, the new Yaris Verso (although it’s highly unlikely to use that name) will be a four-metre supermini with three rows of seats, and room for up to seven occupants. As such, it’ll be the first seven seat supermini the market has seen, and should go on sale in early 2010."

• 1 month later...

So has anyone got pictures of the IQ at the London Motorshow then and has anyone managed to find definative specs for the new model

Currently I am wanting a kitted up Smart ForTwo (going to come in around the £12K price) and what to know what an IQ is going to cost me and what I'll get for it too

I am reliably informed the spec will be VERY high. Toyota are not expecting Aygo owners to be buying this car, but a new generation of younger, more affluent couples. By saying that, I mean it is not a cheap car, it will be cheap to run as it is rumoured to get the stop start technology to reduce emissions to 99g/km which of course means NO vehicle excise duty.

If you like what you see at the Motorshow, we are taking PRE-ORDERS Now, demand will be very high for the early next year launch date. See the attached file for early info. I would think the price will be nearer 10K for the entry model

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links