Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Smell When Starting Warm Engine!

BenN74

Hi,

Just recently I have noticed that when I start my avensis t spirit d4d 53 plate, that there is a smell in the car, kinda like a catalytic converter smell. It only happens when the engine is already warm, like nipping in shops or short stops, when the engine is started from cold it doesn't happen.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before, or have any sugestions as to what it may be? Some kind of filter problem maybe, or possibly the cat converter itself, would this be expensive to change?

I would have thought it was possibly a blokage somewhere, which is stopping the smell channelling to my exhaust, but why only when the engine is warm? Does the cat converter only kick in/smell when the engine is warm.

I am kinda worried a little, cause if I can smell the cat converter I'm wondering if other exhaust fumes are being pumped in, I've not felt drowsy or lightheaded ever though!

If anyone can offer any advice/suggestions of any kind it would be most apreciated.

Thanks!

PS, the smell goes away quite quickly by the way, doesn't smell constantly, just when starting and then a minute or so, while it either wears off and fades, or my nose gets used to it! I think it's the former though. lol

Help!! Don't wanna pass out from carbon monoxide at 110mph on the M62 one morning! (that's a joke, mare like 1.10mph on the M62 at any time never mind mornings) lol

I think your eggy smell might be the Air Con. You get a bacteria build up in the vents and ducting which produces a bad smell from the vents. It will probably need a sanitiser like this putting in the car, plus you should change the pollen filter at the same time

Kingo :thumbsup:

I think your eggy smell might be the Air Con. You get a bacteria build up in the vents and ducting which produces a bad smell from the vents. It will probably need a sanitiser like this putting in the car, plus you should change the pollen filter at the same time

Kingo :thumbsup:

Ah rite, thanks, I was worried it was something much more major, I don't have a clue with cars really so I presume it's not something I can easily do myself, I struggled to change the bulbs, those cases are hard to remove, god knows how it's done, I managed it but with a lot of scraped knuckles and perseverance, but like I say, I doubt I'll be able to do it unless it really is a case of just removing an old one and putting in a new one.

Approx how much do you think my local Toyota dealer would charge to do it? It's due it's 110k service in 5k so maybe best to wait and have it done at the same time do you think?

Thanks for the advice mate, put my mind at ease somewhat!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links