Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 7 Oil

iceland_potter

Hi,

I've read the past threads on which is the best oil to go in Celicas on this forum and apologies but I'm still confused.

I need to buy some oil for my UK Gen 7 1.8VVTi 140bhp post-facelift 2003 Celica as I want to make sure the right stuff is going into it when my mechanic is let loose on it on Saturday, but i'm bewildered with choice.

I know I need 5w30 grade but that's where my knowledge stops.

1. How much oil do I need?
  2. What is best out of Synthetic / Semi Synth / Mineral?
  3. What brand is best for 5w30? (i'm happy to spend up to £30 on this oil)

Hope someone can help me understand what is best to put in my beloved Celica!

Thanks.

You'll need about 4 ltrs of oil. So you're looking at 4.5ltr to 5ltr bottle.

Go for Synthetic or Semi Synth.

As for brand, I'd say any good branded oil. As you know I use Castrol, but a good brand oil would be best.

if I only need 4l then I could get Castrol, but it looks like from Halfords' website that's the biggest bottle they do.

I think that you will find it might just cost a bit more than the £30 that you were "happy" to pay

what will cost more? how much more?

When I last looked at the weekend , Halfords own brand Synthetic wass just under £35 a bottle.

Castrol branded is on average about 20 - 25% dearer.

It really is false economy to go too cheap on oil...............It is the lifeblood of your engine :thumbsup:

K i'm well up for buying top oil.

I've just rang my local Toyota who say that "any 5w30 semi synthetic" will be fine.....

anyone got any thoughts on that?

only 2l? Would you buy 2 of these then?

Are Halfords a good manufacturer of oil or do they use good manufacturers?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...ategoryrn_77306

Or try this :thumbsup:

The important thing is that the oil meets the correct specification..............Halfords oil is used by millions of UK motorists

Bad link I think dude.

Thats one of the problems I have is that I just rang Toyota and they didn't give me a specific list of standards the oil had to meet - the guy just said you need 5w30 semi-synth oil.

I have a Unipart less than a mile from my work which I'm really keen to get some from if its good enough but they dont know what spec is what either.

I'm currently running Millers XSS and it was £20 for 5 litres. Top notch stuff, the car runs like a dream on it, id highly recommend it.

Shell Helix is also great oil....

Cheers blackcts - Seems a great price :

Where did you get it for that price?

Is it semi-synthetic?

ed - any idea if the 5W-30 Castrol is semi-synth? I've read up a bit on Castrol today and I'm clear as mud as to whether or not its semi-synth or mineral.

Halfords are doing a deal on 5w30 magnatec. Its fully synthetic. I bought some the last day. Prob works out at 25 sterling for 4L.

Its good stuff. Castrol say the amount of oil need in your car is 3.7L.

One can of that should do it so. I dont know are they taking into account the filter thou

I believe it's full synthetic. It's good stuff and I have been using it for year in various cars and they all loved it!

I'm really not sure if its synthetic or not though thats my niggle atm.

OK assuming its fully synthetic - is that bad to put in my Celica seeing as I rang Toyota and they said semi-synthetic is needed?

Sorry - i'm clueless on oils and dont understand the difference.

Well I buy mine from Halfords and from what I've seen they only do 1 Castrol 5w-30 in a 4l green bottle, so that'll be what you need to buy. It's been fine in mine for the past 4 services!

OK assuming its fully synthetic - is that bad to put in my Celica seeing as I rang Toyota and they said semi-synthetic is needed?

Sorry - i'm clueless on oils and dont understand the difference.

Fully is a higher grade of oil, if anything it will be better for it. Its stay slippery for longer. Fully is man made, semi is from the ground with additives added to it.

If you put a good quality 5w30 semi in the car you wont be doing any damage, i dont mean to be disrespectful, the celica is a lovely car but it not a Ferrari engine in it, the car will run quite happily on the semi, but when the fully synthetic is nearly the same price you may as well have that, its a higher quality oil. Especially if you change it every 10k

A 140 will be fine with 5W30 Semi Synthetic, I personally use Millers XSS but Halfords own brand (which is Comma BTW) will be fine.

If money is no object and you want the very best for your Engine, use 5W40 which is Fully Synthetic but expect to pay around £40 for 4 litres.

If you want to speak to an expert, Jeff Smith can supply all Millers products and can be contacted on 01430 828453. His site is jsoils.co.uk

HTH.

OK i've spent far too long researching oil, I think i've finally settled on FUCHS 5w30 Fully Synthetic oil which I can get 5l of for £18 from my local Unipart. At Unipart it's branded Unipart btw but I'm told Fuchs is the oil they use.

Sorry for asking this, but at that price, are you sure it's Fully Synthetic? The marketing bods are very clever with their labelling as regards giving the impression a Semi is a Fully. Two of their latest words are "Synthetically Fortified".

A pic. of the Label would be appreciated as £18 is a real bargain and I would have to find my nearest Unipart stockist.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links