Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 7 Oil

iceland_potter

i'm not 100% tbh, I've only got the word of the guy on the phone at Unipart to speak to. I am dubious as he also claimed that the 5w30 Castrol he sold was fully synthetic.

The reason I've gone with this though is that if it's synthetic then great I've now learnt that it'll be even better than semi, but even if it was semi then its meant to be a good brand (Which Opie Oils website recommends for the Celica)

Ahh I see :)

As regards the Castrol, 5/30 Magnetec is a Semi whereas Edge is Fully.

Edge is 0W-30 and is meant to be more for more performance engines.

This is where I get confused.

Can you get 5w-30 Synthetic and Semi - synthetic oils?

This is where I get confused.

Can you get 5w-30 Synthetic and Semi - synthetic oils?

YES

Take a look at the Halfords site.........................................I think that you are worrying needlessly about this :rolleyes:

Make a decision and move on

Ahh I see :)

As regards the Castrol, 5/30 Magnetec is a Semi whereas Edge is Fully.

10w40 magnetec is semi, 5w30 magnetec is fully, the one Halfords are doing the deal on is fully but they are also doing the deal on the 10w40 semi. Just had a second look at the bottle to confirm, fully synthetic is written on it.

OK i've changed again now - Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 it is. I just hear differing stories as to Castrol actually being mineral, and it just being "clever speak" on the bottle to fool the consumer that its synthetic. however i'll put my trust in whats been written here in that it is in fact at least semi-synthetic :)

To Red Yaris - yes I agree with you that I am fannying about this, but isn't this meant to be an enthusiast site for enthusiast discussions? :)

Trust me Iceland, I have put Castrol in 2 Astra's(3 times in all), a Corsa(once), Fiesta(once coming on a second) and my Celica(4 times and counting!).

It's good stuff.

I would trust you with my life edwardio pal.

I'm going to get 4l of 5w30 Magnatec from Halfords in 2 hours, I used to use 10w40 Magnatec in my Micra religiously too.

In my world here is what I would use

ANY Good brand 5W30 OR 5W40 semi-synthetic oil

If you have money to burn or can get fully synthetic oil for the same price as semi then do it

When you change your oil every 10K then why spend more?

Kingo :thumbsup:

OK i've changed again now - Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 it is. I just hear differing stories as to Castrol actually being mineral, and it just being "clever speak" on the bottle to fool the consumer that its synthetic. however i'll put my trust in whats been written here in that it is in fact at least semi-synthetic :)

To Red Yaris - yes I agree with you that I am fannying about this, but isn't this meant to be an enthusiast site for enthusiast discussions? :)

Agreed it is an enthusiasts site....................but you have asked for and received advice only to dismiss it and start again.

On some sites it could be seen as trolling ;) .........................but of course not on here.

There is a danger that you will get so much advice that you will become even more confused than you are already.

That would not do you any good......................or your car ;)

I did not sugest that you were "fannying " but merely sugested that you should make your mind up before you get more confused with the advice.

You really cannot go wrong with ANY branded 5W-30 oil be it synthetic or semi synthetic :thumbsup:

No probs Iceland! As always, glad to help.

Sorry, just 1 quick question about this - does anybody know what oil does Mr T use during service?

Thanks

N

mr t uses Shell helix 5-30 semi synthetic

i asked for a litre bottle for top ups after my last service thats what i was handed

When I went to buy my oil filter from Mr T they told me they use 5w-30 Semi Synthetic made by Esso.

I ended up using Castrol Magnatec A1 5w-30 which says on the bottle its fully synthetic btw, so far feels great. 4l on offer for £23 in Halfords atm.

I'm glad you're enjoying the Magnatec Iceland.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i'd update this, apparantly Tesco have 2l of 5w 30 Castrol Magnatec (what I bought) on BOGOF atm, making it £14.50 for 4l, mine cost £26 I think for the same, bargain.

Just thought i'd update this, apparantly Tesco have 2l of 5w 30 Castrol Magnatec (what I bought) on BOGOF atm, making it £14.50 for 4l, mine cost £26 I think for the same, bargain.

Thanks for the tip.................................I actually got my 2 X 2 litres for £10.50 coz I used a spare £4 Clubcard voucher I found in my wallet :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links