Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newby With Problem

Rodbender

Hi everybody I am new to the forum and I have a problem that I hope you can help with.

I bought a 1997 Rav4 two years ago and it has been fine until recently when I started

having problems with the central locking. I did a search on this forum and I tried all the

tips that I read but had no joy. So I decided to lock and unlock with the key but the

ignition key does not turn in any of the door locks. I think that a previous owner may have

had to change the steering lock or barrel and not passed on the original key. Does this

sound likley? The service book has not been stamped by the supplying agent so I can't

contact them. If my thoughts are correct, how can I find the key number and is it possible

to disconnect the siren? Also, would this affect the imobiliser if indeed there is one fitted

to this model?

PS where is the siren located?

Thanks in advance for any help. Rodbender

The type of alarm on my 1st RAV was made by a company that went bust back in 1994 so I can't comment on your version...if you search this forum there have been a lot of posts on the alarm over the past year,

The siren is probably fitted under the bonnet on the bulkhead, quite close to the Battery. Could be that someone had the door locks changed, or alternatively the ignition barrel changed (more likely)

Moving away from garages, there are locksmiths who can make a key up if you give them a lock barrel. Theres one here in Glasgow where they can do it same day if need be - its part of a large ironmongery supply company but I can't remember its name!! Near Crownpoint Road if anyone else from here reads this post they might remember. I've had keys made up to fit caravan locks; old Victorian door locks etc. Theres another company in Edinburgh that does the same.

The central locking is a different circuit to the immobiliser - as I found out. Central locking can be activated by the key only.

As far as the key number, I seem to remember someone saying its printed on the side of one of the door lock barrels??? Double check that one tho!! Try PM ing Kingo.

Because nobody uses the key the barrell siezes

Get some wd40 with a straw on it and squirt into barell and work key in lock, Also look at key, they wear, a new key may help and a cheaper option

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links