Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sunroof

GBP

3 1/2 year old landcruiser Lc 4 sun roof stuck open this am, seemed to clunk as it was openning , now tries to close but left side sticks.

Have tried spraying in WD 40

not worked yet

difficult area to get into

Any more thoughts?

:unsure:

:rolleyes: Hi

Toyota changed a while back from steel cable guides to a plastic version, you can guess which is the weakest, these run on each side of your sunroof frame and are driven by a electric motor. The problem happens when the drag resistance on one side differs to the other as they are plastic teeth being driven by a steel gear the mismatch in tension causes the teeth on the guides to shear and strip, no damage is normally done to the roof but it needs to be dropped out to repair,this involves removing the roof headlining the guides should be changed as a set and I would think quite inexpensive compared to a new roof, they are not hard or difficult for a dealer to change,dont get fobbed off by being told it needs a new roof as some seem to take this easy option. NOT saying this is your problem as I cant view it but this is a common fault ,its not always a good idea to oil or lube these roofs as that attracts dust and this acts like sandpaper in the linkages,best get it checked out.

• 2 weeks later...
3 1/2 year old landcruiser Lc 4 sun roof stuck open this am, seemed to clunk as it was openning , now tries to close but left side sticks.

Have tried spraying in WD 40

not worked yet

difficult area to get into

Any more thoughts?

:unsure:

Hi,

I had similar problem eventually managed to close the roof by repeatedly pressing the close button, little by little it closed. See the thread with sunroof problems. I have kept it closed as dealer estimates abot £1,250 plus labour to repair.

Let me know how you get on and if there is any other solution.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links