Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Help Needed ?

meatballs

hello everyone ,i have got a problem with my rav 4 i got it and my friend had to change the engine ,thats now been done ,it started ok but after moving it about 5 ft it cut out and now it wont start.it fires ok and there if fuel getting through ,has anyone any idea what it can be ,i dont think there is a imobilser on it but we just cant get it started.

HELP ...... :ffs:

do you have the handbrake on?

yes ive tried it with it on and without it on, also in park and in neautrel ??

we have also changed the radiator today aswell if thats anything to do with it ??

we have also changed the radiator today aswell if thats anything to do with it ??

has anyone got any clues please ???? :(

Unfortunately one of our mechanical wizards is on holiday at the moment.

Please could you tell us the year, model (4.1, 4.2, 4.3), engine, petrol or diesel of your RAV and then somebody might remember something useful to help you.

Best of luck :thumbsup: Sorry I cannot be of anymore help to you!

Unfortunately one of our mechanical wizards is on holiday at the moment.

Please could you tell us the year, model (4.1, 4.2, 4.3), engine, petrol or diesel of your RAV and then somebody might remember something useful to help you.

Best of luck :thumbsup: Sorry I cannot be of anymore help to you!

its a 1995 m reg 2.0 auto petrol thanks ...

Park and Neutral :g: So you have an automatic :g: I know nothing in specifics here, but I would suspect that as when you replaced the engine you knocked some switch/sensor/wire on the gearbox that reports its position and it doesn't know that it is in Neutral or Park and therefore will not allow the engine to start?

Does the Auto Rav have a indicator on the dash that tells you the Gear position (N, P, D) - if so, and it worked with just ignition on before the engine swap, does it work now?

Have you checked the earth straps which were probably removed when taking engine out ?

Park and Neutral :g: So you have an automatic :g: I know nothing in specifics here, but I would suspect that as when you replaced the engine you knocked some switch/sensor/wire on the gearbox that reports its position and it doesn't know that it is in Neutral or Park and therefore will not allow the engine to start?

Does the Auto Rav have a indicator on the dash that tells you the Gear position (N, P, D) - if so, and it worked with just ignition on before the engine swap, does it work now?

i will mention that today to my friend ,the car is on his drive at the moment, i think it has got something to do with the auto box sensor but i know bugger all about cars lol.. im not sure about the indicator thing..

i will mention that today to my friend ,the car is on his drive at the moment, i think it has got something to do with the auto box sensor but i know bugger all about cars lol.. im not sure about the indicator thing..

it did start when the new engine was in it but as soon as we moved it up the drive it cut out, we thought it had run out of fuel so we put some in but it wasnt that..

it did start when the new engine was in it but as soon as we moved it up the drive it cut out, we thought it had run out of fuel so we put some in but it wasnt that..

This is what I am thinking about a switch/wire that was ok but loose, and the vibration of starting the car made it disconnect/out of position so failed to allow a restart.

Why it stopped after a few metres? dunno :blink:

Like I said, I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but checking these kind of things may help those who know diagnose what you need to do to resolve :thumbsup:

i'm not sure if the switch from the gear lever can stall the engine.

when i move the gear lever in all positions with a running engine the engine keeps running. the only thing is that you can only start the engine when in park or neutral... but with running engine in park the engine keeps running. so i'm not really a help.

I don't have my manual to hand, and I'm hectic the day doing a catering jobbie for some headteachers - just in between flinging the vegy lasagne intae the oven an making up the salmon mousse.

If you've done that work, and radiator out, it sounds as if it started using the fuel in the fuel line only then cut out after.

Can't remember if theres a cut-out switch for the petrol pump (in times of accident) but I think there is. You may also have set off the immobiliser if the one it came with is still fitted - is it? Trauma like Battery out etc will annoy the alarm system.

These things are not exactly state of the art electronics so reckon on something simple. Is the fuel pumping up to the fuel filter which is in the engine bay? The pump is in the tank.

I don't have my manual to hand, and I'm hectic the day doing a catering jobbie for some headteachers - just in between flinging the vegy lasagne intae the oven an making up the salmon mousse.

If you've done that work, and radiator out, it sounds as if it started using the fuel in the fuel line only then cut out after.

Can't remember if theres a cut-out switch for the petrol pump (in times of accident) but I think there is. You may also have set off the immobiliser if the one it came with is still fitted - is it? Trauma like battery out etc will annoy the alarm system.

These things are not exactly state of the art electronics so reckon on something simple. Is the fuel pumping up to the fuel filter which is in the engine bay? The pump is in the tank.

all the sensors have been checken now and still no go :(

can you take the fuel pipe off of the injectors turn the engine over and see if petrol is being pumped into the injectors, if not then thats the problem, if it is then take out a spark plug sonnect the ht lead back onto it and check if it is sparking (do not hold it the spark hurts) if you have fuel and spark then check that the timing belt hasnt slipped if it has one.

can you take the fuel pipe off of the injectors turn the engine over and see if petrol is being pumped into the injectors, if not then thats the problem, if it is then take out a spark plug sonnect the ht lead back onto it and check if it is sparking (do not hold it the spark hurts) if you have fuel and spark then check that the timing belt hasnt slipped if it has one.

we have checked the fuel thing and the spark plug for sparking and they are both doing what there supposed to be ,not checked the timing belt yet ,would it turn over if this has slipped ??

we have checked the fuel thing and the spark plug for sparking and they are both doing what there supposed to be ,not checked the timing belt yet ,would it turn over if this has slipped ??

if it was running when it slipped then if its the type of engine where the valves hit the pistons they will have been bent out of the way and so it will turn over fine

and if its the type where the valves dont hit the pistons you will will be fine and so will your engine, just set the engine back up and put the belt / chain back on

if it was running when it slipped then if its the type of engine where the valves hit the pistons they will have been bent out of the way and so it will turn over fine

and if its the type where the valves dont hit the pistons you will will be fine and so will your engine, just set the engine back up and put the belt / chain back on

ive asked him and he says the belt seems fine, the car started about 10 times while it was just sat there and even when we replaced the radiator ,but as soon as we tried to drive it he stalled it and now it just wont start it still turns over ok but no fire :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links